Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What on earth have I gotten myself into here?

joecichlid

I have a slot to the Open Nats and now I am getting worried/freakin myself out here. Yeah I have shot hundreds of local club matches over the last five or six years but only two area matches EVER and now I am worried I have gotten myself in way over my head. In my head I know I am just going to shoot the match against myself but with so many others going I am horrified I might screw something up in a big way.

Right now I have that feeling I got right before I heard those range commands for the first time with a clock on me. Don't push myself too hard, do what I KNOW I can do and keep that thing pointed down range and my booger hook off the bang switch until I have the dot on target. Is there any advice or suggestions you all can offer? What kinds of special gear should I take that I might not normally have in my bag? Am I just all worried about nothing? Anything I am forgetting? lol

Joe W.

The best things about shooting the Nationals is the experience, the people you meet, and the fun you have. I never shot in Las Vegas, but when visiting PASA, always take clothing for both extremes. Try to relax as you can, treat it as a learning experience, and above all else HAVE FUN.

Good luck, Mike

I'm right there with you! My first trip to the big show is Lim Nats this year. I figure the worst I can do is DQ. The 2nd worst is DFL. Either way, I have a goal for the year, I have something to be excited about for the next 5 months, and, best of all, I get to rub shoulders with the big dogs for 3 days.

Just relax and enjoy it...getting worried wont help or change anything....just go, and do your best

Good advice from GJ...any other attitude only creates problems, big match or little match.

Curtis

Thanks for the support and comments everyone. I just need to settle down and get all the worst case things out of my head and just focus on the match and getting ready for it. And Flex, send me some funds and I send you some parts. LOL Actually I am in a massive search for primers so I can practice and rat hole 500 or so just for the Nats. Running MG 121 IFP bullets on top of Longshot (got plenty of both) inside Winchester and Remington brass set off with Winchester SRP if I can find any. It is getting so bad I am going to start working on a load for small pistol and small magnum pistol primers in case I can get some of those. :( This part of things has me worried.

Joe W.

I was one squad ahead of the super squad . I was going back and looking at them as they were shooting and coming back to shoot in my squad and found I was more nervous by watching them shoot . I stop watch them and just acted like it was a regular match.

I bought a folding 2 wheel cart to lug my gun bag around because I had every thing in it but the kitchen sink .

Brent

:devil: Be afraid ! BE Very Afraid! :mellow:

Its kind of funny and I don't want to sound mean in any way, But No one will care how you shoot a stage 60 seconds after you shoot it. You could scream "Tuna"! during a stage and even the RO will not remember by the time the squad has moved to the next stage.

I completely messed a stage up while my Wife was at a nationals watching. I think she was talking with another shooter when I shot the stage, but she was still watching. I am walking away from picking up my score card and she walks up as my brain hits full Boil and asks with a big smile :D "How Did It Go?" .... :angry2: ....... :angry2: ...."Well I don't think it could have gone any... !Worst! :angry2:" growl .

She is a shooter too, she has shot in at least 15 national level events. She just was not looking that close when I shot. She knows the games and knows what is good, she just wasn't watching close.

Thats when I learned something important to take to nationals, If you don't know how the shooter did on the stage -Don't Ask-

<_<andLeave every match you ever shot at home, leave any thought of performance level in the parking lot

Look for the Joy , Or the small trivial things will take over your brain and ruin the day.

Be ready for the best day of shooting you ever had, with the worst day of shooting you ever had, on the same day.

Just shoot and have fun. I was fortunate to shoot nationals after only 6 local matches. What a great experience. I did not know what a prize table was nor did I care. I just had fun shooting, learning, and meeting new people.

On a side note one of my buddies was shooting his first stage on the first day with TGO watching(Super squad was right behind his squad). He proceeded to barney up, but did not put in a fresh mag. Started the stage with one in the chamber, no mag. Beep, bang, click, reload. The rest of the match got better as he went and he has a great story to tell.

Have fun and just shoot.

Randy

I used to tell the guys on the Guard team that I coached that the match that you are shooting is practice. It's JUST Practice for the next match that you are going to after it. It doesn't make any difference what level of match you are shooting in -- It's Just Practice!

Shoot to your own level. Shoot your average. Don't try to set any personal bests -- those will come when they come. Don't worry about anything other than shooting and having fun. Remember that it is all just practice.

The Nationals are no different than a local match. Just more and different people. They're all the same as you, but some may have had more practice than you.

Just know that if you screw up they are going to laugh at you or with you, just like they do at home. Its just another match, just like the ones at home. And the folks you meet are people that you may run into anywhere the game is played. The most important thing is to have fun, just like at home.-----------Larry

Thanks again everyone for the advice/good natured ribbing. I need to get it through my head that those GMs put their pants on one leg at a time just like I do although someone else is paying for their pants. LOL

In 2005 and 2006 at Area 3 I had to shoot through so I could get to work taking photos for the host club so I got to shoot with a lot of great shooters/very nice people. After shooting with people like Max M., Travis T., Athena L., Kay M., Julie G., Ted Puente. and the like I settled down and just enjoyed the match as best I could. Shooting the match after working 12 hour days setting things up for the match didn't make it easy in 2005 and then gun troubles in 2006 made those matches less than idea but I still managed to have a good time and got a few great photos out of the deal. lol That reminds me I need to make sure to take my camera with me to the Nats. :)

Joe W.

I'm going into it assuming for that the Big Dogs levitate to put their britches on and can hit a 50 yard headshot from a draw in .6.... I consider myself lucky to breathing their air. I'm hoping for it to be a lot like a 3 day shooting course!

Edited by Seth

My goals for the match: Have a good time; not DQ; pick up some tips from the big dogs. No matter what I see this as a chance to learn a lot about all aspects of shooting USPSA.

Joe W.

Dang Joe .....I was going to say Squad with me. But you want to pick up tips and shoot with Big Dogs. so that leaves me out.

Edited by AlamoShooter

My advice is to just stud up and do it! If you are worrying about DQing, you'll find it a self fulfilling prophecy. You've shot lots of local and a couple of Area matches, you know what to do, do it. A stage is a stage is a stage. The only one that thinks it is different is you. You are anxious because it is a big match, but realize that it is only your attachment of importance that makes it any different from other matches you have shot. If you go in thinking about everything that could go wrong, or how you'll look in front of other shooters, you'll end up fighting your way through every course. You've got the experience, now just get'r' done.

As far as what to take, don't try to take a lot of extra crap, get a smaller range bag if you have to. It's gonna be hot, and there'll be a fair bit of walking, though the last time they did have a truck to ferry shooters around. But count on walking. Bring your gun, holster, mags, ammo, small cleaning/tool/parts kit, ears, eyes, water and snacks. thats about it. Pen and paper if you want to take notes. Don't load yourself down with crap you're not going to use. Take all your practice stuff out of your range bag, trust me the RO's will have staplers, timers, patches and tools.

Just be prepared to have fun!

Thanks for the advice Pat, I had already planned on taking everything not related to my STI Open gun out of the range bag and leaving it at home. I can't imagine needing my own stapler, timer or pasters at the Nats. :roflol: I have a healthy supply of shower caps although I do have a Shooter Connection gun cover as well. Mag cleaning brushes, spare gun parts that have been fitted to the gun, gun cleaning stuff, tools, a 70 Oz Camel Back and I will take some snacks to munch on as needed. One thing I do need to get is a few extra batteries for my C-More.

The way I see it, if it doesn't go on or in the gun I am taking with me it doesn't need to go on the plane with me. lol

Joe W.

We had some guys come with us to the Nats in Barry one year, they went out and bought the supersized Green Mountain bags then filled them....not the best of ideas!

Only bring the ammo you need for the day in your range bag, leave the rest in your car or hotel room.

Joe, last year was my first Nationals and all the stuff flying through your head sounds just like I felt about this time last year. Yeah it rained, smelled like a chicken coup, and overall my shooting was mediocre at best. But I really don't think I have ever had such a fantastic vacation in all my life. I couldn't wait to secure a slot for this year and start planning my trip.

I would say if you have a good gun that runs, just get ready like you would for any match. I had two stages that I really fubarred. One stage I didn't realize the sliding targets didn't disappear so I tagged myself with some mikes. Lesson learned: double check the round count and don't assume anything. The other stage the RO was holding the timer about six feet from my head and I double plug. Being nervous, after too many seconds passed by, I looked at him and then started shooting. Realizing my dumbass mistake I rushed may azz off and took several mikes on the stage.

What helped me before the first few stages I got to myself and took a bunch of deep breaths through my nose. That seemed to relax me quite a bit.

I went with my good friend 45DV8, and I will say after the Nationals we both had a touch of confidence that neither of us had prior.

Trust me, you will have fun, and if you need anything just let me know. :cheers::cheers:

Been reading all of the replies and there is nothing but good advice there.

Let me tell you about my experience in two trips to the "Big Show". First year I was like you and did not know what to expect, nervous as a longtail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Fortunately, I was squadded with a good friend (Hopalong) who had been there before and coached me through the whole thing and kept me focused. Had a good finish for me.

Last year, went back and forgot everything I had learned. I was squaded with a bunch of other wheel-gunners and all except for one or two were High B or better shooters. I was a new B Class. I tried to run with the big dawgs. BIG MISTAKE! You have to shoot your own game! I tried to keep up with the big dawgs on my squad and I really sucked! On a positive note, last year I was on the opposite rotation for the Super-Squad, so I got to see them shoot before I shot and after I shot. If that happens to you, watch them shoot! You can learn a lot from them and if you get the chance, talk to them when they are finished shooting. If they are like the Revolver guys, and I am sure they are, they will be glad to share with you anything they learned while shooting the stage.

Just remember, it is a match like any other, maybe a little bigger, but just another match. Have fun and don't get too wrapped up in the "Nationals" thing.

Good Luck.

PAT

Boz and Pat, thank for the advice. Since I am not sure if anyone I know is going just yet I am figuring I will be shooting with a lot of people I don't know yet. I am still nervous about this but getting a little more relaxed with the idea each day. Boz, as for anything I need, want to sponsor me for the match? LOL Need airfair food and primers. ROFL

Joe W.