Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accused by the Game Warden

Zebp45

I was interrogated by the local game warden today because I met the "description" of the suspect that had ditched a stringer full of undersized fish, a fishing pole and tackle box. I was told that the charges would warrant a third degree felony. :surprise: Luckily, on the day in question I was shooting the local IDPA match.

I was interrogated by the local game warden today because I met the "description" of the suspect that had ditched a stringer full of undersized fish, a fishing pole and tackle box. I was told that the charges would warrant a third degree felony. :surprise: Luckily, on the day in question I was shooting the local IDPA match.

Mister Game Warden must have been in a bad mood as I don't see him doing much with that if they didn't catch the actual guy.

Mister Game Warden must have been in a bad mood as I don't see him doing much with that if they didn't catch the actual guy.

I quess so. He went to the trouble of tracking down the place where the cigar float was purchased (it was it still had the bar code sticker stuck to it), just happened that I was one of three people that had purchased the identical float at that store with in the last ninety days. Come to find out he could only track people that had paid with a CC/debit card and not cash or store gift card. So of course more than three people bought the floats in 90 days. I just happen to fit the description of his suspect.

THird degree Felony for TOO small of fish :surprise:

That would get you more jail time than murder in this state :mellow:

Seems way out of line for such a Petty infraction.

Jim

<_< IN TEXAS, we have a few people that need Killing, but we don't have any small fish that need poaching

Seems petty to us maybe, but that is what he is supposed (and is paid) to do.

I totally agree that he was doing his job but it was the manner in which it was handled that bothered me the most. If they simply would have asked about my whereabouts on the day in question, we could have had it resolved in a matter of minutes. Saving both his and my time.

By no means, please, take this as a rebuttal. I might be able to shed some light on why it was handled that way. The art of interviewing a potential suspect, by it's nature, has to be confrontational to assess the innocence or guilt of the person. I've done more than my share of these and I guarantee it wasn't personal. He was assessing your reactions and that requires emotional responses. He also needed to assess your alibi in a similar fashion.

It sucks, but some aspects of police work are ugly. This is one of them.

I wonder what would have happened if you were home alone watching TV at the time?

You guys don't know the K man. = he is hitting the buy now button on the movies so that way he could prove he was home "Alone". and them movies do not have a plot to get lost in

"Don't talk to the police" applies to the game warden too.

+1.

fews years ago hunting dove, warden shows up in a field. one of my buddies is a bit of a hothead, and gives the warden a bad time. warden asks for his license...u guessed it, it was at home. so now he's trying to talk his way out of a $50 fine, and the warden decides to check his 870. yep, buddie left his plug on his bench as well. so a few weeks after he's in to see a judge and forks over about $225 in fines.

Edited by outerlimits

I wonder what would have happened if you were home alone watching TV at the time?

You guys don't know the K man. = he is hitting the buy now button on the movies so that way he could prove he was home "Alone". and them movies do not have a plot to get lost in

LOL! I get them free :ph34r:

Yep - It is best to say a little as possible and just be polite.

If he decided to prove innocence, rather than pay a retainer to an attorney to protect his rights, he could probably end it on the spot by showing the lure to the warden. It worked for a classmate in high school who got a visit by the feds after a local mobster was blown up using the same model remote control he bought for his model plane (he showed then the radio, including the receiver in his plane like the one that blew up, and never heard anything else about it).

...has to be confrontational to assess the innocence or guilt of the person. .....It sucks, but some aspects of police work are ugly. This is one of them.

Gee, I always thought the court/jury determined whether you were guilty or not.

just my humble opinion, fwiw

dj

Must be nice to live in an area where the wardens can worry about small fry violations like that. In my travels it's usually the major deer/game/fish poaching rings that get the attention.

I've learned to polite, courteous, and not volunteer any extra information when dealing with any law enforcement official.

Game wardens especially have a tough job. During hunting season everyone is armed and your back up is not nearby.

Taking the opposing view: how could the warden prove guilt if Zebp45 had been at home watching TV? Very circumstantial evidence in a 90 day window for purchase and only paying by CC. The warden would need much more to file charges.

...has to be confrontational to assess the innocence or guilt of the person. .....It sucks, but some aspects of police work are ugly. This is one of them.

Gee, I always thought the court/jury NOTdetermined whether you were guilty or not.

dj

clear it up?

"Don't talk to the police" applies to the game warden too.

+1.

fews years ago hunting dove, warden shows up in a field. one of my buddies is a bit of a hothead, and gives the warden a bad time. warden asks for his license...u guessed it, it was at home. so now he's trying to talk his way out of a $50 fine, and the warden decides to check his 870. yep, buddie left his plug on his bench as well. so a few weeks after he's in to see a judge and forks over about $225 in fines.

Don't poke the bear. :)

I have met wardens that were super people doing a very hard job.

And I have met some that were plain @#^%%$ just looking for trouble.

One park guy here in N.M. shot an unarmed guy in the BACK and killed him over a $3.00 camping fee :surprise:

Its best to be nice and polite....but be on your toes.

Jim

Gee, I always thought the court/jury NOTdetermined whether you were guilty or not.

dj

clear it up?

Not especially. It's probably just a semantical difference anyway.

dj

OBTW

If you are going to quote me, please don't change it. :D

dj