Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun - load one, shoot one

Our match on Sunday will have a shotgun standard where we'll start with an empty shotgun and the load one, shoot one 3x at 3 paper targets. I've done plenty of bolt lock drills where I take one from the 2x2 side saddle in front of the ejection port, but nothing like this. Any tips? My first thought is to have all three slugs in my left hand (I'm a righty) and basically one hand the Benelli.

If you get a book on cowboy shooting they single load the '97 pumps routinely. This can be surprisingly fast, either over the top with the left hand or with the right hand if you are particularly left hand challenged. In both cases cant the gun so that gravity helps the shell drop cleanly into the gun. This is an area where practice really pays off as there is a huge difference between the good, the bad and the ugly.

(Couldn't resist the cowboy pun, sorry)

• 4 weeks later...

When I was using the '97 for CAS, I was pulling 2 from the belt and single loading them with the strong hand. It can be very fast, you just have to use the "P" word. I may go to an 870 over my 1100 because of the ability to quickly single load it. Who knows, I might just run my coach gun and see where I place too :devil:

Yuck.... Load one shoot one is just "one" silly idea. At least make it somewhat sporting, i.e., have the gun loaded with 4 slugs

and engage 4 targets putting one round on each, perform a reload and reengage the targets with one round each. Targets

are set between 40 and 80 yards.

I used to shoot a lot of IPSC shotgun. The "load one shoot one" thing is one silly rule I was glad to leave behind when I moved to the US. Complete waste of time IMHO - like mandatory hip shooting :angry2: .

+ 1000!!!

jj

BigDave,

I am just guessing you couldn't have/use the side saddle like you described?

I for one have to echo what others have said about I am not sure of the Practical side of it but...

I would at the start grab 3 shells off the shell carrier and just run it either over the top or around the bottom. Feeding a Benelli over the top and then releaseing the bolt release with the weak hand (right handed shooter) is a problem looking for a place to happen (ouch). I agree with the SASS shooters style but they are not having to release the bolt with the weak hand, just pushing the slide forward. I like anything that is challenging and fun...ok, this is just a challenge!

I guess for the Saiga this means having 3 magazines cinched together and work it!

I am guessing IPSC wants to do the same with a Pistol and rifle...again...why?

This is good practice for perhaps a Standards course...?

RLTW,

Scott

Edited by busyhawk

I used to shoot a lot of IPSC shotgun. The "load one shoot one" thing is one silly rule I was glad to leave behind when I moved to the US. Complete waste of time IMHO - like mandatory hip shooting :angry2: .

I wouldnt say it in that way but i aint a fan of the load-one-shoot-one either.

IMHO it is more a kinda UKPSA thing btw.

The places where i go i didnt encounter a load-one-shoot-one stage yet.

We did however incorparate an exercise like that in the practical gunhandling test for dutch shooters in order to acquire a license.

Greetings

Adrie

Is it as silly as shooting hostage (no shoot if you prefer) targets with a shotgun?

We mock those things we cannot do!!!!!!! :roflol:

Trapr

Oh, I could do it... I can't believe now how much time and effort I put into mastering this most useless of skills.

I come from the UK where (at the time) this requirement was grossly overused. I can only assume its some attempt to level the playing field somehow for "Section 2" shotguns, which are an artifact of UK gun law whereby a shotgun that can only hold 2 shots is available on a less restrictive license than a nornal-capacity repeating shotgun. I never quite saw the point, as I don't ever recall seeing a Section 2 shotgun on the competitive circuit. Times may have changed, I suppose. As for the US situation, Load-One-Shoot-One is about as useless as **** on a bull :roflol: .

Edited by StealthyBlagga

there is no such thing as leveling the playing field, the field either got grated level or it didn't, most aren't. And no amount of tinkering with stages will do it either. those with better SKILL will be at the top, those with less will follow, no matter how tough you try and make a stage.

It and SG no shoots are simply a SG handling skill that "can" be tested. much like pistol poppers at 50yds.

Why was it a USELESS skill, did it not teach you to focus, did it not teach you that going too fast was not important, did you not learn a better way of handling your ammo for the course of fire, did it not teach you the intricacies of your SG??????

trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

there is no such thing as leveling the playing field, the field either got grated level or it didn't, most aren't. And no amount of tinkering with stages will do it either. those with better SKILL will be at the top, those with less will follow, no matter how tough you try and make a stage.

It and SG no shoots are simply a SG handling skill that "can" be tested. much like pistol poppers at 50yds.

Why was it a USELESS skill, did it not teach you to focus, did it not teach you that going too fast was not important, did you not learn a better way of handling your ammo for the course of fire, did it not teach you the intricacies of your SG??????

trapr

I never said either skill was "useless", they're not, at least from a match perspective. Hell, I'm always needing ONE DAMN MORE shell from slidelock. That said, I don't see either as being a particularly "practical" (notice I didn't use the "T" word) skill as applied to the normal, everyday use of a shotgun.

I apologize Mike, my brain was inserting what stealthyblag said as what you had said. <_<

I agree that it is a pain in the ass stage and skill, but it is a skill that is needed, and so should be tested, every once in a while. I'm not talking every match, but once or twice a year would be a good thing, and since it looks like HPSC will be the only place you see it here in the states, then it would be a good thing to include. Besides the whole premise of the HPSC, is to introduce shooters to what they can expect in IPSC PSG matches.

Trapr

I apologize Mike, my brain was inserting what stealthyblag said as what you had said. <_<

I agree that it is a pain in the ass stage and skill, but it is a skill that is needed, and so should be tested, every once in a while. I'm not talking every match, but once or twice a year would be a good thing, and since it looks like HPSC will be the only place you see it here in the states, then it would be a good thing to include. Besides the whole premise of the HPSC, is to introduce shooters to what they can expect in IPSC PSG matches.

Trapr

So where is the HPSC gonna be next time?