Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Model 41 thumb safety

cuzinvinny

I want to use my model 41 for steel plates, but the stock safety is just too stiff and more importantly too small. Is there an aftermarket thumb safety for the model 41, or has anyone found a way to take a 1911 safety and modify it for use on a model 41?

I just spoke with Jim Jr (shop owner) about looking into it. I'll let you know if we come up with anything.

You can count me in if ya'll come up with something. I have always wanted a more useable safety on my Model 41

When knifemaker Bob Loveless got to messing around with one - cut it down about the size of a Woodsman for a "field pistol" - he looked at the safety and decided it was unsalvageable and went to Condition 3.

But I guess a careful worker could silver solder on an extension as used to be done with 1911s.

Many of the 41s get used for Sportsman's Team Challenge = the gun gets used faster than steel challenge on the plate rack and slow on the combo stands. The safety is set up high and not much way to get your thumb over it, the thumb ends up under it.

I removed the safety on my STC gun and cut it way back to near flush on the Steel Challenge frame.

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

I hate to bring up an old thread but instead of starting all over, this one hit the nail on the head. Finally getting this searching thing down!

I'm having all kinds of problems with that thumb safety on my M41. During the middle of a string, I would inadvertently push it up and well, you know what happens next. It is so frustrating! I really don't want to change my grip just for one gun so that is out of the question. I looked at Clarks website and didn't see anything about a different safety so I guess nothing came of that.

Alamoshooter, any advice on the procedure to remove/disable it? Any other ideas from anyone else?

**Yes, I know, disabling a safety is not recommended but I fully accept any actions that are the result of any procedures that are recommended or suggested. Thanks**

I have one that I removed it from and one that I revoved all the bump that sticks out. the bone in my thumb will push a stock safety on and lock up the slide

I keep a high grip.

None of the steel Challenge -old- rules required the use of the safety. its eather loaded or its not and your finger is not supposed to be on the trigger any way.

Just take it out and grind it so that it oly has a small rib that you could use it you dug your finger tip in to make it go on.

It is not easy to take out , If I remeber rite the spring clip holds in in place from a center notch.

You can get your grip high with the thumb way up near the slide.

But I may not know nothing and I am not very good at posting photos , I could email one if some-one wants to post it for us.

Thanks G-Man...I found that link on another post in the forum. Better to have too much than too little so I do appreciate it. Have you ever had this problem with your 41? I just ordered the Herrett grips, do you think this could alter my position and stop pushing the safety up? It's really not going up all the way, it's like somewhere in-between but enough to stop it from shooting. Thanks!

This looks like another overlooked opportunity for the right manufacturer. I would like to see not only a 1911 like safety for the M41, but for the Ruger 22/45 as well. At one time Brogken Gun Ranch made one for the Ruger, but I no longer see it listed. I realize they may not really be necessary for SC or Team Challenge , but the thought of being able to draw and flip the safety off like a 1911 would be nice.

Thanks G-Man...I found that link on another post in the forum. Better to have too much than too little so I do appreciate it. Have you ever had this problem with your 41? I just ordered the Herrett grips, do you think this could alter my position and stop pushing the safety up? It's really not going up all the way, it's like somewhere in-between but enough to stop it from shooting. Thanks!

I haven't had a problem with it, but can see how it could be an issue for some people. The safety on the M41 I have set up for SC is really tight (probably never used at all!) but it would be cool to have an alternative....especially now that so many more folks are using M41s for SC. R,

I had a problem with the safety moving slightly during the cof and it was just enough to keep the

gun from firing so I bent the little spring tab out quite a bit and never had any problems, of course,

using the safety now is out of the question.

Ok I have the photo on my computer, of the safety, The only thing I know how to do is email , so ...

I rememberd some on the safety , as all you have to do is remove the grips and remove the screw in the clip spring that retains the safety. = just slide it out working if off the piviot post.

and thin put the spring clip and screw back in place. and just shoot it with out a saftey.

• 9 months later...

The Mod 41 would not be legal for SC. The gun has been altered and made unsafe by disabeling the safety. Normally when shooting SC with a .22 the safety does not have to be used but has to be operable and do what it was designed for. In all shooting competitions all safeties must be operational. NO EXCEPTIONS!

I let the lower thumb inside ride the top of the safety and the top tip inside ride the top of the slide release. You get the highest grip and no way to push the safety up. You are always starting from the ready low position so the initial grip does not change.

The Mod 41 would not be legal for SC. The gun has been altered and made unsafe by disabeling the safety. Normally when shooting SC with a .22 the safety does not have to be used but has to be operable and do what it was designed for. In all shooting competitions all safeties must be operational. NO EXCEPTIONS!

I let the lower thumb inside ride the top of the safety and the top tip inside ride the top of the slide release. You get the highest grip and no way to push the safety up. You are always starting from the ready low position so the initial grip does not change.

That's a pretty bold statement to make about all safeties and all competitions. It's also incorrect. I'd have to take a look at the SC rule book because I'm not sure on the safety, or if it's even addressed. But since the book hasn't been published, I'm curious about how you get your info about SC? As far as the incorrect in general, grip safety is the big one that comes to mind as being disabled in most sports. I would also consider the magazine disconnect a safety and that is also disabled on most of the guns in use.

What's your source?

Chuck Anderson & gng4life:

SC uses USPSA & IDPA rules to govern pistols in competition. Both organizations require that all safety items function.

USPSA Example:

Pg. 72 Item #42

Pg. 78 Item #21.1 (all factory safety mechanisms)

Pg. 80 Items # 22 & 22.1

Item 8.1.2 through 8.1.2.4

Item 8.1.3

I can do the same for IDPA. Try reading the rules. Disabling internal or external safeties is grounds for a DQ. Just because your gun is not inspected does not mean you are competing with a legal firearm when internal or external safeties are disabled. Also look at Both IDPA & USPSA rules verbage on factory approved firearms available to the general public. As for open firearms in USPSA & SC, there is more than enough verbage to cover these also.

Chuck Anderson & gng4life:

SC uses USPSA & IDPA rules to govern pistols in competition. Both organizations require that all safety items function.

USPSA Example:

Pg. 72 Item #42

Pg. 78 Item #21.1 (all factory safety mechanisms)

Pg. 80 Items # 22 & 22.1

Item 8.1.2 through 8.1.2.4

Item 8.1.3

I can do the same for IDPA. Try reading the rules. Disabling internal or external safeties is grounds for a DQ. Just because your gun is not inspected does not mean you are competing with a legal firearm when internal or external safeties are disabled. Also look at Both IDPA & USPSA rules verbage on factory approved firearms available to the general public. As for open firearms in USPSA & SC, there is more than enough verbage to cover these also.

Try reading the right rules. Even though USPSA purchased the rights of the SC from Mike and Mike, they have not enforced the USPSA rulebook on SCSA - they have their own Provisional Rules for the time being. The link to the SCSA rules is http://steelchallenge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/SCSARules.pdf

Here are some explanations:

42. The scores of a competitor who, for any reason, fails to present his firearm

for testing at the designated time and location and/or who fails to provide

sample rounds for testing whenever requested by a Match Official will be

removed from the match results. (Applies to chrono - not safety mechanisms)

21.1/22/22.1 - All production division, nothing to do with SC guns

8.1.2/8.1.2.4/8.1.3 - States for 1911 style guns, "hammer cocked", which is external and the 41 does not have that.

gng4life:

Apendix "A"

A.1.1 Equipment requirements for the USPSA, IDPA, ICORE

and Cowboy Single Action Divisions shall be governed by

the respective USPSA, IDPA, ICORE and SASS rules and

equipment criteria regarding firearm and holster confingurations

and rule interpretations.