Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with an IDPA vest

9milli

Watched the state IDPA (OK.) match last Saturday and noticed most were wearing a light tan colored vest.

Unfortunately my time was limited and I didn't get a chance to ask what brand they were.

Any reccommedations?

Thanks

Watched the state IDPA (OK.) match last Saturday and noticed most were wearing a light tan colored vest.

Unfortunately my time was limited and I didn't get a chance to ask what brand they were.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

They could have been any brand. Here are some popular ones:

SigTac (discontinued)

5.11 Tactical

Woolrich

I think you will be fine wearing what ever it is you wear now. All I have worn is a loose fitting button up shirt or my puffy vest I would normally wear. I don't have the super sweep with the reinforced panels that the tactical vests allows, but I've never felt it was a factor, nor do I feel it's hindered my performance. IDPA is suppose to be the anti gamer sport anyhow. If we are to promote it as a practical based sport, we should also promote shooting with practical clothing as well as guns. Some of the top guns around here, do not wear a shooters vest, and IDPA has a long history here.

As a new shooter, your money would be better spent on ammo and range time.

Edited by Aristotle

I think you will be fine wearing what ever it is you wear now. All I have worn is a loose fitting button up shirt or my puffy vest I would normally wear. I don't have the super sweep with the reinforced panels that the tactical vests allows, but I've never felt it was a factor, nor do I feel it's hindered my performance. IDPA is suppose to be the anti gamer sport anyhow. If we are to promote it as a practical based sport, we should also promote shooting with practical clothing as well as guns. Some of the top guns around here, do not wear a shooters vest, and IDPA has a long history here.

As a new shooter, your money would be better spent on ammo and range time.

Maybe it is supposed to be anti gamer, but those vests do help and are quite popular with the shooters around here. I don't own one yet but ipda is a game, and if the vest helps then I will buy one.

I agree with Aristotle. IDPA states emphatically that its purpose is to help (and for members to help each other) men and women become better defensive combat shooters while in a fun competitive environment. It states that the purpose of IDPA is to NOT create an unpractical gaming mentality. If you go into IDPA with a gaming mentality you are going against its philosophy and intended purpose and doing a disservice to everyone there. If you have the gaming mentality there is a place for you and its called IPSC where there are many shooters just waiting to teach you how to get your butt kicked at a game! I've noticed most gamers that come over to IDPA are guys that couldn't cut it in IPSC. IDPA is about competing against yourself, not about competing against each other. The reason for the competitive environment is to add fun and people get better shooting against better shooters. I try and shoot each COF tactically correct which means "slow" sometimes and there is always a gamer who is happy to cut corners and beat me on that COF. I just smile when I see them cut the pie at light speed :rolleyes:

It is not unreasonable for you to want to use a tactical vest if you are going to wear one occasionally, but in IDPA you should shoot wearing what you normally wear. I compete some days wearing a T-shirt only, undershirt tucked in with unbuttoned over shirt, nice shirt tucked and fleece vest which I wear OFTEN, turtleneck flannel shirt untucked and Carhart or Filson coat, etc. These are all clothing that I wear regularly and need to draw from in a gunfight. Some day when I'm much older I will probably wear shorty shorts, black knee socks, beige geriatric shoes and my 5-11 vest with pockets for all my pills but not quite yet ;-)

I agree with Aristotle. IDPA states emphatically that its purpose is to help (and for members to help each other) men and women become better defensive combat shooters while in a fun competitive environment. It states that the purpose of IDPA is to NOT create an unpractical gaming mentality. If you go into IDPA with a gaming mentality you are going against its philosophy and intended purpose and doing a disservice to everyone there. If you have the gaming mentality there is a place for you and its called IPSC where there are many shooters just waiting to teach you how to get your butt kicked at a game! I've noticed most gamers that come over to IDPA are guys that couldn't cut it in IPSC. IDPA is about competing against yourself, not about competing against each other. The reason for the competitive environment is to add fun and people get better shooting against better shooters. I try and shoot each COF tactically correct which means "slow" sometimes and there is always a gamer who is happy to cut corners and beat me on that COF. I just smile when I see them cut the pie at light speed :rolleyes:

It is not unreasonable for you to want to use a tactical vest if you are going to wear one occasionally, but in IDPA you should shoot wearing what you normally wear. I compete some days wearing a T-shirt only, undershirt tucked in with unbuttoned over shirt, nice shirt tucked and fleece vest which I wear OFTEN, turtleneck flannel shirt untucked and Carhart or Filson coat, etc. These are all clothing that I wear regularly and need to draw from in a gunfight. Some day when I'm much older I will probably wear shorty shorts, black knee socks, beige geriatric shoes and my 5-11 vest with pockets for all my pills but not quite yet ;-)

I wanna, I wanna, but I won't <_<

I use a vest I found at sportsmans warehouse on sale during the summer. During the winter I use what ever coat I'm wearing.

I really prefer the Smith and Alexander vest over all the others. It is very light weight, cheap and effective. The only downside to it is that the pockets are a little small but I don't use them anyway. YMMV

If you go into IDPA with a gaming mentality you are going against its philosophy and intended purpose and doing a disservice to everyone there. If you have the gaming mentality there is a place for you and its called IPSC where there are many shooters just waiting to teach you how to get your butt kicked at a game! I've noticed most gamers that come over to IDPA are guys that couldn't cut it in IPSC. IDPA is about competing against yourself, not about competing against each other. The reason for the competitive environment is to add fun and people get better shooting against better shooters. I try and shoot each COF tactically correct which means "slow" sometimes and there is always a gamer who is happy to cut corners and beat me on that COF. I just smile when I see them cut the pie at light speed.

:blink: Put me down as disagreeing with 100% of this...

As to the vest I'd recommend the 5.11.

IDPA is suppose to be the anti gamer sport anyhow.
If you go into IDPA with a gaming mentality you are going against its philosophy and intended purpose and doing a disservice to everyone there.

Geez guys.....give 9milli a break.

He's new here and was only asking for a vest recommendation!

I'm not trying to jump on 9mili. Vests are great to have and for training, but take advantage of the intended purpose of IDPA which is to learn to shoot tactical style shooting without all the Ninja Gear but in your every day gear. And if you disagree with that then you should "read" the intended purpose of and the philosophy of IDPA that was written and created by Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, Bill Wilson and the others.

If you want to get a great vest that works best for IDPA and one you can wear all the time that doesn't wreak of Ninja get this one

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?pr...rentPage=family

Its the Tin Cloth Cruiser vest by Filson. It will last for generations and your Grandkids will wear it. It looks great everday and being made of Tin Cloth it swings to the side like a freshly greased barn door. The cloth is stiff but breaks into your body eventually. It also has internal pockets. I love mine for all outdoor or daily activities.

I would like to add a note regarding the 5.11 vests. Be very cautious if purchasing one of these on line or from a catalog. The pocket configurations have changed in the last few years. The large lower left pocket, that is often used for Tac-Loads by right handed shooters, has switched sides with the "AR mag pocket." It may not be a big deal, but some of the photos in the catalogs and on line show the old vest pocket configuration.

Whichever vest you decide to purchase, make sure that the pockets are big and deep...and that you remove ALL of the Velcro from the pocket! :rolleyes:

I try and shoot each COF tactically correct which means "slow" sometimes and there is always a gamer who is happy to cut corners and beat me on that COF. I just smile when I see them cut the pie at light speed rolleyes.gif

Oh my God, your face would be permanently disfigured from smiling if you watched me shoot a stage. I shoot to win the game. I don't train my tactics during the game, I save training for practice sessions. :unsure: BTW, I have "read the intended purpose of and the philosophy of IDPA that was written and created by Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, Bill Wilson and the others." Those guys also give awards for winning the game that they designed...

If there are rules and you keep score it is a game. If you play within the rules you are not gaming, just playing a game. Do you have a trigger job or better sights installed? How would that be different than a vest with a stiff panel?

By the way, the streets have no rules. Bring what you got!

Buddy

If you can manage to pull one out of the online shelves, I would recommend the SigTac vest. I have the 5.11 vest with the AR mag pockets too and it just feels unnecessarily heavier for some reason. The Sig vest is lighter, but isn't too light where you'll fumble your draw. Of course this is just one opinion in a sea of many. I would recommend you simply borrow vests during IDPA matches and see which one is most comfortable for you.

If there are rules and you keep score it is a game. If you play within the rules you are not gaming, just playing a game.

+100

Whatever someone may have intended "back in the day", the reality is that there is a whole line of competition only gear that has evolved to fit IDPA rules. As will happen in any game that has rules.

Having said that, I wear an unbuttoned collared short sleeved shirt as my cover garment. It works for me. But If I ever start to feel that I am losing matches because of the cover garment, I will go out and buy the most gamiest vest out there that is legal under the rules.

Whichever vest you decide to purchase, make sure that the pockets are big and deep...and that you remove ALL of the Velcro from the pocket! :rolleyes:

Now that is a travesty of the spirit of IDPA !!! Damn Gamers !!!!!!! :ph34r:

Edited by nwb01

If you want a vest that works really well, get a leather motorcycle vest. They conceal well and the stiff leather stays out of the way really well. Cost $40+.

If you want a cheap cover garment that works pretty well, head on down to the local Salvation Army store and get a used sport coat. They conceal really well and if you put a spare loaded mag in the pocket they sweep out of the way pretty good as well. Cost $2+

Neither scream "I've got a gun".

Yankee Dog

This thread is closed. This is not the place to lecture others on how IPSC is all about gaming, our perceptions of the "real" purpose of IDPA and how anyone who doesn't follow that is a gamer, how "the street has no rules", etc. Please reread the Forum Guidelines.

BTW, I'd suggest doing a search if you want to read many, many previous comments on which vest to wear in IDPA. This topic has been covered extensively many times.