Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat, SVI IMM, Bedell, Brazos - which one?

ironb

I have a Bedell and a Millenium Custom...although both are 38SC. They've both been stupid reliable for me. Bedell is probably the best bang for the buck as his guns can easily be $1K less than similar guns from other smiths. R,

I hit the view results by accident. My vote goes to Brazos.

I've had 5 open guns by Bob (so far) and had 2 malfunctions that I can remember and I'm not taking any out due to 'break in' or whatever. One was on the first stage of a match when it was 26 degrees outside, and the gun was a little dry and dirty. The nose of a round got stuck on the feedramp. The other I'm not entirely sure of but I think it was a piece of corncob media stuck in the nose of the JHP that dislodged and kept the gun from going into battery. Caused a major jam and I was barely able to rack the round out.

Other than that, you can ask anyone I shoot with. They've never seen a malf cause that's been it.

Can not really go wrong with any of the choices or recommendations. I voted Limcat because I think his guns are works of art. I am trying to get together the money for one of his limited guns right now.

Probably comes down to finding the builder that fits you. I think they all make bad arse race guns.

Randy

My vote is for JPL Precision. That who is currently building my gun (and time is passing excruciatingly slowly while I wait too!). John is a great guy, one helluva gunsmith, has figured out what it takes to make Major 9 really run and has a nice lead time (6 weeks as of two weeks ago).

I have a Brazos as my Limited gun which I really love and a Brazos was on the list for my Major 9 gun but last I checked Bob didn't build Major 9 (that has been about a year ago so things might have changed).

Limcat was also on the list and I really had trouble making the decision but it came down to location and lead time. JPL is about 300 miles from me and had a short lead time.

they all have thier strong points. infinity's are a work of art and they are always pushing the envelope with new technology. i see Benny Hill guns (triangleshootingsports.com) and Brazos pistols run and run every weekend. i'm in texas so there's a-lot of svi's, dawson's, benny hill's, sti's and brazos pistols.

i just got my Bedell Custom shorty 6 weeks ago and love it! like the Benny Hill pistols he keeps it simple. i shoot atlanta arms and ammo 38SC major through it with no issues. i too wanted a bad a-s pistol but more than that i wanted a reliable pistol. I saw all the positive comments about Bedell in the forums. that ultimately made my decision along with the lead times.

infinity is over a year out. Bedell built mine in 6 months. Brazos has some SC models with i think a 3 month wait.

i can't say enough good things about Dan. you can call him direct with questions and he is always willing to talk and explain things. Like i told him a few weeks ago i would have gladly paid 3k just for the accuracy of this thing. everything else is just icing.

I'm glad i went with Bedell i would do it again!!!

one suggestion. go with the standard guide rod and not the recoil master.

Thanks for all the responses. I bought a Bedell today. I am going to purchase a Limcat Dragoncat also. If the better half doesn't notice, maybe I'll get an SV IMM too! (lol, probably not!)

Gary Natale at Gan's Enterprises does some awesome work. I just picked up a 9mm major from him. 12 days to build it and (atleast) 10-20% lower cost than any other advertised price I have seen.

post-12164-1237914697_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt2ace

+1 for Brazos

My dad has a full custom one and it works like a charm. He has shot at least 25K through it with no gun related jams, just upside down primers and stuff... With match ammo it shoots about 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. Bob will set it up however you like. My dad had his hand and trigger pull length measured... It came out great.

I have a STI trubor tuned and fitted by Bob. It is almost as good as my dads accuracy wise, and has very few jams, maybe 2 or 3 in 20K rounds.

Craig

Gary Natale at Gan's Enterprises does some awesome work. I just picked up a 9mm major from him. 12 days to build it and (atleast) 10-20% lower cost than any other advertised price I have seen.

+1 for Gary. Fast turnaround, very reasonable prices and most importantly, they run.

Jim Anglin when it comes to 9mm open guns that run. I have two that have not had a problem of any kind since day one. A friend of mine also has two with the same reliability. Jim will be out of touch next 6 weeks appx. He is having a knee replaced.

Thanks for all the responses. I bought a Bedell today. I am going to purchase a Limcat Dragoncat also. If the better half doesn't notice, maybe I'll get an SV IMM too! (lol, probably not!)

Congratulations! :cheers:

you will love it.

I am sure we all have our favorites but Benny Hill gets my vote. His guns run flat and dot is predictable. His prices are great and his build times are within reason. He fixes all types of guns and is a hell of a nice guy.

Edited by KGentry

I am sure we all have our favorites but Benny Hill gets my vote. His guns run flat and dot is predictable. His prices are great and his build times are within reason. He fixes all types of guns and is a hell of a nice guy.

FYI, I just shot a used STI Grandmaster that I bought to hold me over until my Bedell and Limcat arrive. It was an absolute BLAST (no pun intended) to shoot today. After the match, I stopped by a fellow shooter's house (who was nice enough to loan me a couple mags) and went to show him the gun. When I did, the recoil master popped off! Fortunetly, he was well versed in resolving the issue and we got 'er back together. (Thanks TONY!)

• 3 weeks later...

This may be the sexiest Open gun I've ever seen. Now I need a cigarette and a cold shower......and I don't smoke.