Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Practice Mags?

45Fundi

I'm using dummy rounds....no primer or powder. I keep them in a totally separate, marked, bag from any other ammo. I keep the bag in the room where I do my dry fire so I reduce the chances of getting live ammo mixed in with dummies...or vice versa! :)

Thomas

I use no primer no powder bullets as well. I painted them red, which was a mistake because the paint flakes off into your mag. If you have dedicated practice mags that is not a problem, but i don't, so i will do it over. I also used bullets from range pick ups. When collecting brass you always seem to get a few loaded rounds which I will disassemble and use those bullets since they will never be fired.

Yep, Use the dummy bullets. The weight is very close to a live magazine but remember when you practicing changing mags you are getting rid of one that has maybe 1 or 2 left in it. Don't use a mag with a full load of dummy rounds.

It's fine to use fired primers--won't hurt anything--but I use dummies (brass and bullet, no powder) with no primers in them and verify that each round has no primer in it when loading the magazines. I also use a different type of bullet in the dummies (lead round noses vs. my match molycoated truncated cones) as another visual verification that the magazines are loaded with dummies and not loaded rounds.

So when you dry fire with "primerless" cartridges it won't damage the firing pin or flare the firing pin hole?

I used those cheap plastic snap caps with the brass primer on a spring and they eventually would bind up and it caused a Colt S70's firing pin hole to flare out so that the cartridge won't sit flat against the breech face. I now use A-Zoom but was hoping to find something that weighed more to replicate real cartridges.

I started using snap caps back around 1980 because I was breaking Colt Python firing pins due to dryfire. They would evidently stretch and the tip would pop off. I have heard newer firing pins are of such high quality that this will NOT EVER happen. Should I swap out all of my firing pins for new ones ? BUt how do I stop the firing pin hole in the breech face from flaring in my older guns?

Thanks!

It's fine to use fired primers--won't hurt anything--but I use dummies (brass and bullet, no powder) with no primers in them and verify that each round has no primer in it when loading the magazines. I also use a different type of bullet in the dummies (lead round noses vs. my match molycoated truncated cones) as another visual verification that the magazines are loaded with dummies and not loaded rounds.

I use dummies (brass and bullet, no powder) with no primers in them and verify that each round has no primer in it when loading the magazines. I also use a different type of bullet in the dummies (lead round noses vs. my match molycoated truncated cones) as another visual verification that the magazines are loaded with dummies and not loaded rounds.

+1

Plus my dummy brass are all nickel (I use normal brass for my ammo) with different bullet that I normally use so I wouldn't mix them with my ammo by mistake. I have different dry firing mags with different pads on them. I keep my dummies inside my dry firing mags all the time and two snap caps at the top of each dry firing mags. I never unload them.

I keep my dry firing mags in different place where my other mags are. I check them every time before I use them. That is work fine with me.

Nobody has dummy mags ? I have blue solid plastic mags with a lead insert. They also match the profile of mags with Dawson pads. I got them from Brownells and they seem to be about $20.

Nobody has dummy mags ? I have blue solid plastic mags with a lead insert. They also match the profile of mags with Dawson pads. I got them from Brownells and they seem to be about $20.

I take issue with these for dryfire practice for two reasons:

1) I shoot Production and would never drop a mag with 17 rounds in it. It simply changes the weight of the gun.

2) I will never drop a mag as heavy as one that has 17 rounds in it

I take issue with these for dryfire practice for two reasons:

1) I shoot Production and would never drop a mag with 17 rounds in it. It simply changes the weight of the gun.

2) I will never drop a mag as heavy as one that has 17 rounds in it

If you pull the plug on the bottom they are light like an empty mag. Save the shot in case you want them heavy again. I use a real mag to load and the blue ones to drop.

I do drills where I use each round in the mag for dryfire, so I want to be able to use all my dummies as snapcaps, but I want them to weigh more than A-Zooms. I was hoping there was a snapcap that weighed as much as a live round or that I could make up some dummies that would function as snapcaps with out damaging the firing pin or firing pin hole.

Has anyone used these Action Trainers that Gunsite sells? Here is a link

http://gunsite.com/store/page17.html

better link

http://www.stactionpro.com/action-trainer-...418bc31f2890256

Edited by 45Fundi

So I take it you can decrease the weight in these mags? That may change things...

The Mags I have are filled wih lead shot. The hole is just plugged. You can take he plug out and change the weight. They match your gear too.

• 2 weeks later...
So when you dry fire with "primerless" cartridges it won't damage the firing pin or flare the firing pin hole?

How about filling the dummy cartridge/primer pocket with epoxy or a hard silicone? If they develop a deep hole from repeated strikes you can drill it out and refill fairly easily.

Reloads, no powder, no primer.

I use empty mags mostly, but sometimes weight them with dummy rounds.

I used to leave the spent primers out, but now leave them in after I locked up my Para on a load/rack/shoot drill starting empty - the FP jammed foward in the empty primer pocket.