Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bummer...I DQ'd today

Jungo2

I was shooting Production on the 4th stage of a local match, and as I was drawing the weapon, the sharp corner of the rear sight got caught in my shirt causing me to drop the pistol. The result was a torn shirt and a match DQ. Lesson learned: don't wear loose clothing when competing...AND...if you have Bomar target sights, file the damn sharp corners off of them.

Edited by Jungo2

Sorry to hear that happened. I hope you don't let it get you down too much. It seems obvious you know what caused this and what to work on.

There are some people that get so worked up about it and want to blame the RO, or anybody. I can't relate to that.

I have had this happen when I was dryfiring so I know this isn't rare. Fortunately my pistol only hit the carpet so no DQ and do dirt on the gun.

One thing I learned on this forum was to dryfire with what you will wear in a match. Shoes, glasses, even ear protection so as to locate any deficiencies in any part of your gear.

I do this now and have a really good time at matches because I'm learning to keep the match focused on shooting, and not my gear.

Stay safe, have fun.

jimmy

Thanks, guys. Jimmy, you pretty much nailed it. This was the first match of the season with completely new equipment; gun, mag holders and holster. All XDm stuff. I did, of course, fire the weapon prior to the match and became very comfortable with it, however I had never worn the holster or mag holders prior to today. Big mistake.

I say,you just got better of being a better shooter.

It is better to not be jerky and be so aggressive at all stages.

this will eventually lead into something that can cause a DQ.

I learned the hard way years ago. You are better off going smooth

on movements and you'll be suprise on how fast you can shoot a stage

with this in mind.

Glad everything was safe.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

It sucks DQ'ing. I did it at Area II. But you learn from it and become better for it. Sounds like you handled it well. It was clearly an accident and I am sure that it will never happen to you again because you won't let it.

Now get back to the range and keep shooting!

Sorry to hear about your DQ.

My advice is to practice wearing what you compete in. It may sound silly, but when I dryfire I wear all the same gear, including shirt and pants, that I shoot in. That way, I am able to identify and address any potential issues that may arise.

Solace yourself with the following proverb: "There are two kinds of shooters. Those who have DQ'd, and those who haven't...yet."

I'm in the former group, three times. One 180 violation, one dropped gun during a reload, one fall on wet grass that ended in an AD. <_<

Sorry to hear about your DQ.

My advice is to practice wearing what you compete in. It may sound silly, but when I dryfire I wear all the same gear, including shirt and pants, that I shoot in. That way, I am able to identify and address any potential issues that may arise.

Exactly! I always wear the same pants style when I shoot. On the rare occasion that I don't, it really messes with my draw and even reloads. You just get used to (muscle memory) everything being in the same place everytime.

From past experience, don't give your shooting buddy a ration of crap if he DQ's on the second stage when his gun came out of his holster because on the last stage of the day you could do the same thing. Ask me how I know.. :surprise:

You guys are great. I really appreciate all of the comments; every one of them constructive and helpful. I particularly like the Miculek quote :-)

This was my first DQ; a personal disappointment, but I except full responsibility for it. I must say, the RO was great. Once the gun was off of the ground and holstered, he apologetically informed me of the match DQ and I could tell that he was genuinely sorry about the verdict. But...rules are rules and they're there for our safety. When you break them, intentionally or not, you accept the consequences and, as many of you have said, learn from the experience. There are lots of things - unforeseen things - not in the rule book - that we must sometimes learn by trial and error...like, for instance, don't wear baggy clothing and be familiar with ALL of your equipment before you compete with it.

Edited by Jungo2

Sorry about your DQ. I am glad everything is OK though, dropped loaded guns make everyone nervous. I have been fortunate and not DQed yet. I have had to DQ my best friend before for a 180 violation. It sucks, I think that I felt worse than he did about it. We both realize that the rules have to be followed for safety though.

The important thing is that you are now a better shooter because of it.

Hurley

]I feel your pain I did the same thing on saturday, at least the DQ part.

Seems the RO thought I went a little to far in the wrong direction with the gun and DQ'd me for the 180. :goof:

I grumbled with the RO for a bit then called for teh RM. The RM said I could get back into the match :)

The squad overrulled the RM and said no way can I let myself back into the match. :(

Good thing it was the first stage of the day. I would hate to to be winning the match (this is my story I'll tell it my way) then get DQ'd on the last stage.

But it don't matter, I still have to go to work on Monday.

Turned out to be a great match. There were 79 shooters at Pine Island, MN. First match of the year.

This goes under something I never saw before. Ducttape mag pouches!!

post-1865-1237752401_thumb.jpg