Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Fort Benning 3 Gun Challenge

I remember you!!!! i'm just poking the bear as well.

no harm, no foul!!!!!

I'd like to meet mister Manning!!!!!

Trapr

I dare say you'll like Mr. Manning. He's definitely a favored son around these parts. I don't shy away or kid when I say he's one of the finest young gentlemen I've ever had the pleasure to meet, much less shoot with. And I'm not just saying that because he keeps on kicking my butt on a regular basis either! :roflol:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first 30 waiting list messages just went out & there are many, many more to follow. Here is a sample waiting list message:

(200+) is your registration code number. This code number puts you on the waiting list. Write this number in the box on the upper right of the application & mail the completed application with your check.

You will get a message confirming your spot on the waiting list via email provided your application is postmarked within 2 weeks. We do not deposit your check until I am able to confirm a slot in the match.

A quick word about the registration list codes: This is not your position on the waiting list. I will let you know where you are on the waiting list once I get an application. If I do not get those postmarked within two weeks of this message, you lose the spot & go to the back of the waiting list.

Waiting list numbers start at Registration Code 200. We have added days and slots to the match. If your waiting list number is under 50 (Registration code 250), you will probably be shooting this match.

Later this Summer (typically August) Aaron will get sponsor agreements signed. We will move shooters out of match slots & waiting list spots into sponsor slots (30 of those).

There are slots reserved for active duty shooters (It IS Ft Benning). If you are on the waiting list & are active duty military, email me and we will see if you can move to one of those slots. Be aware that the priority for Military slots is based set up to favor service members who were out of the country at the time of sign in.

After SEVERAL years of managing the largest waiting list in the shooting community, let me say that no one will harder to get you off this list & into the match.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2009 Ft Benning 3 Gun Statistician

Edited by LChico

I don't know about y'all... but I will be sleeping better tonight than I did last night! I was definitely all keyed up. First waiting to find out, and then knowing that I got in!

I have already put everything in the mail (first thing I did when I got to work this morning)...

Thank you Linda for all of your hard work... I know you were up all night...

Thanks Linda for all your hard work. You really must love what you do.....I know I couldn't do it....I could hardly stand the stress from last night.

still no e-mail, wait list or not Craig and I will try again next year.

Thanks again,

Heidi

Ok I have A ? so if my number is 200 I'M in right?

You should be in by the end of next week when I get the first of the sponsor lists. :D

I have at least 8 shooters on the list of initial 170 that I expect to move into sponsor slots as soon as I get confirmation from the AMU.

If I had a number under 225, I'd be happy and I suspect that even 250 to 260 will be okay.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

my thanks to linda, sgt. hampton, all the AMU, and everyone else who works so hard to put this shindig on! i've been at every one, and they were all great! the thing that makes this match so good is all the energy that goes into it. whatta buzz.... i know my buds and me are getting gassed up already. i'm sure this one will be special, because all the others certainly were. wouldn't miss it........ hung out w/sgt. hampton at the S.C. State Match after party/party, great to get the inside perspective on what it takes to put this thing on. at least i think that's what we were talking about???? seemed like pretty important stuff at the time, from what i can remember.......you can lose the smoke in the WW1 trench thing, though.......

Linda I'm dying. I haven't received an email yet:-( I got the error message at 9:30. I can only hope I'm in the next group of waiting list emails. Either way this experience has been fun in a sick sorta way! Thanks for all you have done through the years. I look forward to meeting you at the MS Three gun match in the fall.

Linda I'm dying. I haven't received an email yet:-( I got the error message at 9:30. I can only hope I'm in the next group of waiting list emails. Either way this experience has been fun in a sick sorta way! Thanks for all you have done through the years. I look forward to meeting you at the MS Three gun match in the fall.

Umm. . . Derek. . . you need to contact me at LChico@msn.com. I sent you a confirmation message last night with Registration Code # 161. :cheers:

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Umm. . . Derek. . . you need to contact me at LChico@msn.com. I sent you a confirmation message last night with Registration Code # 161. :cheers:

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Hot Damn! I am a happy camper :goof:

OK so I haven't seen an email yet from Linda. I guess that means I'm really far down on the list ( or not on the list)?

No Chris, you are in the file. You should be in my next batch of waiting list emails.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

I wanted to post a note about the sign in process last night. Sorry, this is going to be a bit long & may be a somewhat technical for some folks.

I anticipated a record turnout and spent about 2 months trying to set the process up to handle a large volume. I was guessing we would have about 500 hundred shooters during the first one second. I was wrong by nearly 100.

First, a quick explanation about the 2 servers and 2 data collection points. A company called "Response-o-matic" collected the bulk of the data. I used them last year, because of their reputation for being able to handle very large data files and because they have a large queue. The queue is like a waiting area, where data sits as it waits to be processed. The only problem was that they were not fast. Even in small batch tests, they process about 10 submissions at a time & send the rest to a queue. The information in the queue gets processed in order, but there can be a pretty substantial delay, until the queue is cleared. I needed some way to send the time you actually submitted the data from the page.

In order to capture the times better, I set up a clock on the sign in page that was linked to the server. I wanted to store a bare minimum in the MySQL file (data collection point) on my website. When you clicked submit, you were assigned an 8 digit random # (like 32068913). That number and the time on the server clock when you hit "submit," were the only 2 pieces of information stored in the MySQL file. That 8 digit # was added to the information you provided & sent to the remote server.

Once the remote server processed the information from the queue, it either stored it in the data file or added it to an error log. Once your information was stored, the remote server redirected so that you saw the second screen (the one that told you to wait for an email message from me). If the information was sent to the error log, you saw a screen that told you that you had omitted some required information.

This is the part of the process that generated the error message nearly everyone saw at sign in. What you need to realize is that at this point, your time was stored on my site & your other information was in the queue. Since it was unable to process so many re-direct commands at once, Response-o-matic put up the error message. Even though I had posted on this forum & sent out email messages to anticipate a delay of up to 14 minutes before the second screen appeared, practically no one waited that amount of time. By the time 14 minutes had passed, I had 37 new entries on this forum thread, 8 PM's & 43 messages in my 'off forum' email. And many, many people were re-submitting the information, further slowing the system down.

During the practice time period, I received email notification of every entry. I sent some of you messages about missing information or data in the wrong blanks (switching first & last names). During practice, I kept the data collection set to allow some 'bad' information, but standards were tighter for the actual sign in. I did not get email notification (to streamline the process I wanted to require as little as possible, so I set it to collect data only). You had to type in a valid email address. In the error log, I have a number of shooters who have a numeral "2" or the symbol "#" instead of an "@" in their email addresses. I have Zip Codes left blank. I have names with punctuation that is not allowed (semi-colons & brackets), where people tried to type too fast. There are 147 entries in the error log (last year there were 11).

A lot of my email messages (another 85 messages today) are from shooters disappointed because they "did everything right" and signed in within the first second, and are still on a waiting list. Please, do the math. Even allowing for duplicate entries, we still had close to 600 submission within one second for 170 slots. And entries continued to mount up over the next 24 hours. The match filled in 0.48 seconds. That is less than half a second. Those people in the second half of that second are on the waiting list.

I don't plan to apologize for being involved with a match that is this popular. I just wanted to clarify the sign in process. If anyone has any other specific questions, feel free to send those by email. Just don't expect a response for about a week! ;)

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Edited by LChico

I wanted to post a note about the sign in process last night. Sorry, this is going to be a bit long & may be a somewhat technical for some folks.

I anticipated a record turnout and spent about 2 months trying to set the process up to handle a large volume. I was guessing we would have about 500 hundred shooters during the first one second. I was wrong by nearly 100.

First, a quick explanation about the 2 servers and 2 data collection points. A company called "Response-o-matic" collected the bulk of the data. I used them last year, because of their reputation for being able to handle very large data files and because they have a large queue. The queue is like a waiting area, where data sits as it waits to be processed. The only problem was that they were not fast. Even in small batch tests, they process about 10 submissions at a time & send the rest to a queue. The information in the queue gets processed in order, but there can be a pretty substantial delay, until the queue is cleared. I needed some way to send the time you actually submitted the data from the page.

In order to capture the times better, I set up a clock on the sign in page that was linked to the server. I wanted to store a bare minimum in the MySQL file (data collection point) on my website. When you clicked submit, you were assigned an 8 digit random # (like 32068913). That number and the time on the server clock when you hit "submit," were the only 2 pieces of information stored in the MySQL file. That 8 digit # was added to the information you provided & sent to the remote server.

Once the remote server processed the information from the queue, it either stored it in the data file or added it to an error log. Once your information was stored, the remote server redirected so that you saw the second screen (the one that told you to wait for an email message from me). If the information was sent to the error log, you saw a screen that told you that you had omitted some required information.

This is the part of the process that generated the error message nearly everyone saw at sign in. What you need to realize is that at this point, your time was stored on my site & your other information was in the queue. Since it was unable to process so many re-direct commands at once, Response-o-matic put up the error message. Even though I had posted on this forum & sent out email messages to anticipate a delay of up to 14 minutes before the second screen appeared, practically no one waited that amount of time. By the time 14 minutes had passed, I had 37 new entries on this forum thread, 8 PM's & 43 messages in my 'off forum' email. And many, many people were re-submitting the information, further slowing the system down.

During the practice time period, I received email notification of every entry. I sent some of you messages about missing information or data in the wrong blanks (switching first & last names). During practice, I kept the data collection set to allow some 'bad' information, but standards were tighter for the actual sign in. I did not get email notification (to streamline the process I wanted to require as little as possible, so I set it to collect data only). You had to type in a valid email address. In the error log, I have a number of shooters who have a numeral "2" or the symbol "#" instead of an "@" in their email addresses. I have Zip Codes left blank. I have names with punctuation that is not allowed (semi-colons & brackets), where people tried to type too fast. There are 147 entries in the error log (last year there were 11).

A lot of my email messages (another 85 messages today) are from shooters disappointed because they "did everything right" and signed in within the first second, and are still on a waiting list. Please, do the math. Even allowing for duplicate entries, we still had close to 600 submission within one second for 170 slots. And entries continued to mount up over the next 24 hours. The match filled in 0.48 seconds. That is less than half a second. Those people in the second half of that second are on the waiting list.

I don't plan to apologize for being involved with a match that is this popular. I just wanted to clarify the sign in process. If anyone has any other specific questions, feel free to send those by email. Just don't expect a response for about a week! ;)

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Linda,

I really appreciate the very detailed (admittedly over my head) explanation :rolleyes:

I'm one of the waiting list guys (though I feel good about my 205 number).

Think I speak for the majority here when I implore you to forget about this match and all the sign-in drama for a couple days and just enjoy your weekend - you've certainly earned it. At this point, it is what it is. Thanks again for all you do so we can play.

:cheers:

Did anyone else have "ten thousand processed" in their error message????

Actually, it said "Over ten million submissions processed." That is part of the logo from "Response-o-matic."

Linda Chico (L-2035)

I remember you!!!! i'm just poking the bear as well.

no harm, no foul!!!!!

I'd like to meet mister Manning!!!!!

Trapr

Can't wait to introduce him to the international detachment party assoc....I just hope his mother, Penny, doesn't disown me!

Can't wait for the preparty-come early-drink much, practice some-play hard!

:cheers:

Did anyone else have "ten thousand processed" in their error message????

Actually, it said "Over ten million submissions processed." That is part of the logo from "Response-o-matic."

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Did that message come with two "golden arches" and an order of fries? :rolleyes::blink::D