Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Fort Benning 3 Gun Challenge

First, thanks to the many shooters who took the time to practice signing in for a Registration Code number. I ran a few simulated stress tests today. With 500 sign ins during one second, the system slowed significantly (hour-glass symbol for as long as 14 minutes before the next page appeared after clicking the submit button). However, no data was lost and the site did not crash. I did two separate tests and the delay ranged from less than one second to as long as 14 minutes 26 seconds. A delay does not mean you have failed to sign in.

I do have a warning message for some of you.

If you went to the practice sign in page and 'saved' the location to your computer, you will not be able to use that "shortcut link" on Thursday night. The real sign in page has a different name & is located on a different hosted internet site. The current practice sign in page will be changed at 8:30 PM Eastern Time on Thursday and the links on the Fort Benning 3 gun website will be changed to re-direct everyone to the actual sign in location.

I really like the creativity and ingenuity of the 3 gun crowd. It keeps the sport interesting. They keep trying to find a better solution to the problem. It has come to my attention that a handful of shooters are planning to "game" the sign in process by writing a computer program or script to increase their chances of getting a spot in the match. Very creative, but, unfortunately, futile. The current practice page is exactly that - a practice page. The actual sign in page has a different file name and is located on a different hosted site (different URL). The current practice sign in page will be changed at 8:30 PM Eastern Time on Thursday and the links on the Fort Benning 3 gun website will be changed to re-direct everyone to the actual sign in location. To deter last minute corrections to code meant to sign in people automatically, I re-created the form fields as well. They look the same on the page, but the identifier of the form blanks is different.

The new links and pages should be up by 9:00 PM Eastern Time Thursday. You are welcome to look at the pages as early as 9:00 PM, but DO NOT sign in on those pages until 9:30:00 PM Eastern Time as indicated by the clock on the page. Good Luck to everyone.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2009 Ft Benning 3 Gun Statistician

Edited by LChico

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

Ok so here is the deal, NO ONE will be doing ANYTHING from a Helo! Not possible on our shoestring budget, not to mention the US Army's position. I hope no one is too disappointed!

We still have a few details to work out but the gist is this:

The top 2 finishers in each division as well as 4 randomly drawn lucky people (numbers may change) will compete in a one vs one single elimination shoot-off with pick-up Shotgun,rifle, and pistol ending with pistol on plate-rack and challenge poppers. The six winners will advance to shoot against each other till there is one. The original six will draw for the six pick-up guns (this could change based on sponsors). The shoot off winner will have an opportunity to shoot, in a game of chance, for a 2010 fully loaded pick-up truck (negotiating with two brands both retail over 40k).

So a GOOD chance someone will drive away in my dream truck, and we are bringing the shoot-offs to 3-Gun!

We will also be making a VERY exciting announcement about the future of 3-gunning as an organization, you want to be here.

BigHamp

Not that I have a lot of a chance of winning, but at least this is something not on the banned by either the wife or the insurance company.

No piloting of small planes, racing motorcycles, jumping out of planes that are not on fire and so on. I do however get to shoot just about anytime I want.

I am really hoping that the internet is not going to be funky tomorrow night.

Jim

I have an awful lot of folks concerned because the sign in page is going to be different. We actually did this last year. The practice page was posted with a 'local time' clock (just like this year). Right before the match, I switched to a secure page with a server clock. No one got lost, because they followed the same links to get there.

Initial Practice Clock 2008post-5346-1245292499_thumb.jpg Server Clock Used to Sign In 2008 post-5346-1245292520_thumb.jpg

As I emailed to everyone earlier, and posted here, go to the Ft Benning website (www.fb3g.com) and select the yellow button for "Application."

Today that takes you to a page with information about sign in, and a graphic, as well as a link on the bottom of the page to the practice sign in page. On Thursday, the text on that page & the graphic will be replaced with a big button that you click to take you to the actual sign in page. If you want a page to "bookmark," "save as a favorite," or otherwise store for the sign in process, I suggest you use www.fb3g.com or www.fb3g.com/sign_in1.html

Like last year, I don't think anyone will get lost, because the instructions did not change. The page that appears when you click the link -- that changed: There will be a different looking clock on that page.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Edited by LChico

Man this match looks exciting... I've been dreaming of going to this match and this year the Wife says I can do it!

Let me talk to her! I told you you do NOT want to shoot this match!!! LOL Good luck tomorrow, I will have your internet cut off from 925 to 10PM. :roflol:

Steve

When will we get notification of our successful entry? I re-read the thread and didn't see that anywhere...minutes, hours, days...just wondering if I'll be able to sleep until notified...

Anxiety level increasing... :devil:

IF I remember right, after you attempt your sign in and it goes to the next page it should tell you what number you are when you sign in? I have slept since last May, so I could, as before, be wrong.

When will we get notification of our successful entry? I re-read the thread and didn't see that anywhere...minutes, hours, days...just wondering if I'll be able to sleep until notified...

You will be aware that you successfully submitted your information when you see the following screen

post-5346-1245363817_thumb.jpg

Any delays getting to this screen DO NOT impact your sign in time.

That is saved when you "click" on the submit button. You are not penalized for the time it takes information to travel to the server that is collecting information.

Print the application when you get here, if you have not done that already.

You will get the Registration code from me, in an email message.

The system does not assign numbers automatically.

The emails should start going out around 10:30 PM Eastern. I have to combine two separate spreadsheet files (the MySQL file from my server plus the data file from the remote server that harvests all the information). Then I have to eliminate duplicates.

I hope you will know by midnight if you are in the match or on the waiting list.

As for the anxiety thing, you should see mine. :( But I take the edge off with Dark Chocolate Truffles (yes, Sandra, Harry & David :wub: ).

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Edited by LChico

I didnt see it mentioned in this thread... Do we need to sign and send in the declaration and waiver forms with our application, or do we present those when we (hopefully) get there?

I didnt see it mentioned in this thread... Do we need to sign and send in the declaration and waiver forms with our application, or do we present those when we (hopefully) get there?

Knock it off Henrick...!!!!.....You'r rock'n the boat here...

One thing at a time...

Breath deeeeep............!!!!!!

Can't you see i'm watch'n the clock................................

Edited by D.carden

Weapons Disclosure forms are the weapon forms you need to get in the gate, waiver forms you hand in at sign ins. Always make 2 copies of each, they WILL take 1 at the gate when you sign in there to get on post.

Steve

Edited by recon215

Here I am in the Sunny FLA Keys (Islamorada) just finished a restful day fishing for mangrove snapper and playing with my kids at the pool. All the info is entered on the submission form , I am enjoying a cold beer and I have 20 minutes and 20 seconds until I hit submit...C'mon Aircard. Oh yea, the whole family is headed to the gulf stream in the morning for dophin/mahi/dorado...Life is good... :cheers:

Who else has filled in their data and is waiting anxiously with their finger poised over the "submit" button??

Come on - fess up! :cheers:

Hey did you get my message?????

and all you other folks,,,,, did you hear that if you look up in to the western sky out in your back yard,,,, at 09:29 and 55 seconds,, EST tonight!!!, you will be able to find the meaning of life???!!!!!!!

Jim M ammo

Who else has filled in their data and is waiting anxiously with their finger poised over the "submit" button??

and all you other folks,,,,, did you hear that if you look up in to the western sky out in your back yard,,,, at 09:29 and 55 seconds,, EST tonight!!!, you will be able to find the meaning of life???!!!!!!!

Jim M ammo

Jim,

I didn't see your note until you posted here - we're squared away now. Slowly reaching a zen state with my mouse and desktop.

Jim M ammo

better hurry...