Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How does the chrono team determine what cartridges to test?

chbrow10

Hi,

As you can see by my profile, I'm pretty new to this whole thing. April will be one year of competitive shooting. I'm planning on going to the Mississippi Classic in May, and this will be my first major match. I have some questions about the chrono stage.

How do they select which cartridges to chrono? Do they randomly reach into your ammo and grab 8 rounds? What if you are shooting two different types of loads? Also, if you are shooting SWC bullets, how do they pull those? They seem like they'd be hard to pull...

Thanks for helping a new guy.

Chris

Hi,

As you can see by my profile, I'm pretty new to this whole thing. April will be one year of competitive shooting. I'm planning on going to the Mississippi Classic in May, and this will be my first major match. I have some questions about the chrono stage.

How do they select which cartridges to chrono? Do they randomly reach into your ammo and grab 8 rounds? What if you are shooting two different types of loads? Also, if you are shooting SWC bullets, how do they pull those? They seem like they'd be hard to pull...

Chris

Typically they will either tell you to put some rounds in a baggie at the start of the match or when you get to the chrono station they will pick a loaded mag, or just say give me a mag and some ammo. Don't try to cheat the chrono, and I'm not saying you where thinking about it, it just isn't worth it. Have your ammo good to go and shoot it and be a little above PF and you'll be fine.

Hi,

Chris

Are you planning to use both during the match? If you are shooting both during the match, they should both be chronographed by them.

yeah if you are using more than one type of ammo, you MUST have them both chrono'd and the ammo must be authorized. I might be wrong but if you only declare one type of ammo and are caught using a different type of ammo, couldn't that fall under dishonesty or cheating?

yeah if you are using more than one type of ammo, you MUST have them both chrono'd and the ammo must be authorized. I might be wrong but if you only declare one type of ammo and are caught using a different type of ammo, couldn't that fall under dishonesty or cheating?

Good question.

I've seen some steel that is just plain slooooooow to go down. Nothing wrong with trying to hit that stuff with higher PF rounds. Personally I'd rather just hit it twice and not worry about keeping ammo that organized.

Anyone out there play this game in a multi ammo manner? (always making declared PF of course)

I think this applies to minor only.

BB

I could care less about steel --- but I might load a separate batch for any match with 50 yard standards, paying extra special attention to quality and consistency.....

I'd volunteer that fact wherever they asked us for chrono ammo, would absolutely expect to have both batches chronoed, and would have no problem letting them pick and choose the individual rounds....

We had this happen last year at the WI sectional. When shooters showed up for the chrono, we didn't use the 8 in the bag, we had them put all of their mags on the table and then we took 8 rounds from the mags. We weighed the bullets from the original 8 taken from stage 1. Shooters original 8 weighed 185 grain. He wasn't making major so he had one bullet left. He decided to have it weighed. That one that we weighed was 165 grain :surprise:. He was a fairly new shooter who was using up all of his left over ammo for the match.

Tom

Are you planning to use both during the match? If you are shooting both during the match, they should both be chronographed by them.

If you have 2 different loads in your bag and the Chrono man sees it, he more than likely will chrono both loads, been there done that.

I typically shoot minor, and I have been known to have 2 different pf's of ammo. One runs about 129pf and the other one is 140pf. The heavier ammo gets pulled out for stages with lots of steel or more than one popper in line. The added recoil doesn't really matter if I have to do a transition between shots- the lighter power factor stuff makes my second shot on paper a little easier.

Even in major, I will sometimes bring a major (168pf) and a MAJOR (193pf) loading- for use in a man on man steel side match. Even an ancillary hit from 193pf, 180gr loads will make a popper sit down RFT.

I have all of the rounds in my ammo bag, so the RO can pull whichever ones they like. I did have one chrono stage where the RO asked "did you know that your std deviation is 150 fps?"- they had pulled out of both sides of the bag. :D

The whole idea is to have no idea how the ammo is collected. If there was a set routine it would be even easier to cheat the chrono. Basically match staff can collect it any where anytime. So insure all the ammo on you and in your immediate possession at stages makes power factor. Ive had match staff walk up to me at a stage and say give me one from that mag, that mag, your spare mag and 3 from that box I see.

I honestly cannot tell the difference in 165 PF ammo and 175 PF ammo. I load to 175 so I never have to worry about my Chronograph and the ones the match uses not getting the same readings or the weather turning cold and changing things.

Just load your ammo to give you a comfortable margin.

Buddy

To answer your 2nd question, they use a kenetic bullet puller. It looks like a big plastic hammer. In the hammer head (back of head) is a collet that holds the brass by the rim. When you smack the hammer head on the table, the brass stays in the collet, but the bullet comes out. Simple.

One more thing to think about. You didn't say if you were loading your own rounds or not. A friend of mine brought some ammo that another friend of ours loaded for him to the 2007 Area 6 three gun. The ammo was "supposed" to be 230gr .45acp and supposed to be 195pf :roflol: . It was really 200gr at 156pf. During the match, my friend told me that, "Wow, this stuff sure is smooth to be as hot as he says it is". Needless to say, he was surprised at the Chrono.

Moral of this story is, check your ammo before you get to the match (and load for yourself if you have the means, it is safer in more ways than one). There are several folks in our club with chronos and I don't know anyone that wouldn't let you check your loads before a match. In fact, most of them will be checking their loads a couple of weeks prior to a big match.

Hurley

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I really appreciate it. I am loading my own, for me and my son. His is 9mm and good to go. It makes about 138 PF. It's my Single stack 45 ACP that I'm still working on. I need about 25 fps more or so. I'm just waiting to hook up with my friend with the chrono to test out the latest batches.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I really appreciate it. I am loading my own, for me and my son. His is 9mm and good to go. It makes about 138 PF. It's my Single stack 45 ACP that I'm still working on. I need about 25 fps more or so. I'm just waiting to hook up with my friend with the chrono to test out the latest batches.

Just make sure you are making ~170PF and the standard deviation is not too high. I have seen people who push too close the 165PF and end up surprised with a 163PF at the chrono due to standard deviation driving the avg velocity too low. I also recommend using one bullet type and weight for any given match. Mix your ammo for practice or local matches, keep everything the same for the bigger matches. I can understand why minor shooters might want this, but IMHO it leads to inconsistency stage to stage.