Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Caliber For Limited???

PistolPete

Here is the debate I'm having. I'm in the process of ordering an SVI 2011 and am deciding on which caliber to build. I currently shoot single stack 1911's in .45 ACP. I was leaning towards building a .38 super as I've read a lot of praise about it. However, I've heard with .38 super you really can't make major. With that being said I was told I should go with .40. Then others have said I would be best with a .45 ACP because that is what I'm already loading. Needless to say i'm so confused. I would like to order this gun this week as it will take 4-5 months bo build but I don't want to buy it in the wrong caliber. Please help me out.

I've heard people use .38 super because it is super accurate and super reliable. I'm familiar with .40 as it was the only gun I had for years. Good thing about the .40 is I saved all my brass since I started shooting years ago so I have buckets full of brass. .45 ACP is good cause I'm familiar with it and reloading and my press is set up for it etc. However, it also limits the amount of ammo I can hold in a mag. So my decision is leaning towards .40.

Please give me pros and cons about these and/or other calibers to help me decide.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete, I've been reading your post and have a little advice for you. Contact Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports and get a custom STI in 40, full dustcover if thats what you want,get a schuman ultimatch bull barrel & have it hardcromed. Not enough diffrence in the sti and svi to even notice. You will have all the gun you could ever wish for and have it long before SVI will even think of starting it. Benny can handle the mags and all for you. His ph# is 361-241-1091. He's a top smith and a pleasure to do business with. He's a grandmaster shooter who knows these pistols and supports the sport. Larry

Pete,

If you want to shoot Limited USPSA get a gun in .40. If you want to shoot Open USPSA get a gun with a comp and red dot chamered in .38 Super or one of it's variants. If you're not sure what you want to shoot ---- postpone ordering a gun until you've shot a bunch of guns and have decided what sport and division you want to play in. Patience, grasshopper.....

And I think that if you decide to buy your first limited or open racegun you should strongly consider having a smith do the job rather than a factory. Smith support is likely to be better if you use a top quality one....

I use an SVI in 45. I'm a fan of 45 caliber and that's the main reason why. I handicap myself (magazine capacity wise) with the 45 but having buckets full of brass and bullets...the choice (financially) is an easy one. ;)

I personally think that the 45 is an easier caliber to develop loads for, is a caliber much more forgiving on the gun then a hot-rodded 40 and having used one for over 17 years, is easier for me to use to its full potential. With that said...If I was to build a new blaster...to use the latest gear I'd have to build a 40.

My advise, use what your most comfortable with. ;)

pete, if you can't buy a S_I in your state then i say go with thr Para P16-40 LTD. definately 40 is the way to go, not only does it make major but the mags will hold more major rounds than the 45 and you also get a bonus with the para, they hold twenty rounds reliable not like the S_I which only hold 18 reliably. notice i said reliable because some people claim they can stuff 20 rounds into their s_i mags, maybe so but not reliable.

so in conclusion my vote would be for the STI, long dust cover 40 cal, but since you can't have that in your home state then the Para-Ordnance P16-40 is the next best thing. just remember it's the shooter and not the gun. Tiger Woods can take a set of golf clubs from K'mart and get just about everbodies ass.

Limited40- the funny thing is I can't buy a Para in this state either. Lucky me hugh? LOL I can buy the S"V"I but not the STI. Looks like .40 will be the way to go. The thing I like about .40 is that I have thousands of spent cases already.

Pete

I shot a single stack STI .45 in L10 for a couple of years. Really liked it. I was able to get a reloads with 168 power factor. I had an SVI tri-glide trigger and C&S sear and hammer. I was able to achieve about a 2.75 trigger pull.

I just received a STI Edge in .40 with the long dust cover. I have shot about 10 stages with it.

THERE IS NO COMPARISON FOR ME.

The .40 has a significant less felt recoil than the .45 single stack. As much as I like the .45, the .40 is a much better caliber for me. I am shooting my .40 faster with better accuracy than I do with my .45.

GO .40!! You will not regret it.

If you can get a SV in MA, try Kodiak Precision or JP. They do outstanding work.

why not build a 40 & and extra barrel in super. there is nothing to change out but the barrel when changing cal's.

Benny,

Are the slides different? The cutout in the breechface and the hole for the extractor? How about ramp cuts in the frame.

Thanks,

Bucky.

I know what you mean about not being able to buy the guns not in the approved list. I know it's going OT but I really don't see what CA and Mass accomplished with all the stupid "safe guns" listing except tax and disrupt sales of perfectly fine firearms. Stupid I tell ya. I wonder when Ahnuld steps in the office in CA. josh

Benny,

I want to make sure I ubderstand correctly. I think you said all you have to do is change the barrel from 40 S&W to 38 super and everything else will work. Does this mean the slide and magazines. No extractor change? Will this work with super comp also?

Thanks

With the rim on Super brass, the breechfaces aren't very different.

Since I couldn't find breechface specs online, I'm going to try this with the case specs I found:

a 38 Supercomp case is 0.380" across the back.

a 38 Super case is 0.406" across the back.

a 40 case is 0.424" across the back.

Since 38 Supercomp runs successfully in 38 super slides (0.026" larger) with maybe an extractor change,

I'd expect that 38 Super would run in a .40 slide (0.018" larger) with maybe an extractor change.

38 supercomp in a .40 slide might get kinda rattly (0.044")