Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend a gun for a Beginner

Liv2h2oski

I am looking for a match grade .45 for a beginner that has a smooth trigger, and adjustable sights. I am looking in the $500-$600 dollar range, preferably, but I am open to others. I am looking for a gun that I can hopefully build off of.

Thanks for your input.

I am looking for a match grade .45 for a beginner that has a smooth trigger, and adjustable sights. I am looking in the $500-$600 dollar range, preferably, but I am open to others. I am looking for a gun that I can hopefully build off of.

Thanks for your input.

STI Spartan. Not the smoothest trigger, but certainly acceptable. Lot of gun for the money, IMHO.

It's not really possible to get a match grade 1911 for $5-600. Twice that amount might get you in the ballpark, but it depends on your definition of "match grade".

For around $630 an STI Spartan is as close as you're going to get. Hand fit frame and slide (still not up to custom standards, but good enough) and awesome customer service. Most any other gun out there for the same or even signifiantly more won't have nearly as much hand work done on it. R,

It's not really possible to get a match grade 1911 for $5-600. Twice that amount might get you in the ballpark, but it depends on your definition of "match grade".

For around $630 an STI Spartan is as close as you're going to get. Hand fit frame and slide (still not up to custom standards, but good enough) and awesome customer service. Most any other gun out there for the same or even signifiantly more won't have nearly as much hand work done on it. R,

That is about it for that price range. Add a couple of more bills and you can find a nice Springer with target sights. The Spartans I've seen have been hit or miss on quality but I'm sure STI would take care of that ASAP.

STI spartan could be a good choice. Don't overlook a Taurus PT1911. The ones that I have shot were accurate and reliable. They are forged and have some nice features already on the gun. I would put in a Wilson pin kit and fit a quality hammer, sear and disconnector just for longetivity, but you could probably shoot it for a while before you really needed to do that. They also have an excellant warranty. The other thing about them is the factory grips, they are cheap plastic, but easily changed to your favorite style.

You don't have to spend mega $ to enjoy the shooting sports. Jump in with an affordable gun, have fun, and if you decide to buy that expensive one later, you can always keep the less expensive one in the truck.

Hurley

I've got an old Norinco 1911. Ugly as sin, reliable as a good dog. Accurate as necessary and with a little work, the trigger is good. I've got around $400 in it. I'd up your budget if you want some thing nice, but if you just want something to function, there are lots of choices out there.

Bought my brother in law the Taurus PT1911 for Christmas. Seemed to shoot well what little I shot it. Lots of features for a entry level 1911. I paid $525 and it had a $75 rebate, so $450 out the door.

Good place to start.

Thanks for the input. I know for a true custom gun I will need to spend much more, but I just want something a little on the inexpensive side right now, and then down the road I can expand. I will check out the STI Spartans, and Taurus PT1911. I know a local Gander Mountain had a Kimber Custom a while back but that was selling for up in the 9's, it fit in my hand like a dream though!

What is the reason for going with the .38 or the .40 be? For the reduced recoil? just curious.

Thanks again to all for your input.

Thanks for the input. I know for a true custom gun I will need to spend much more, but I just want something a little on the inexpensive side right now, and then down the road I can expand. I will check out the STI Spartans, and Taurus PT1911. I know a local Gander Mountain had a Kimber Custom a while back but that was selling for up in the 9's, it fit in my hand like a dream though!

What is the reason for going with the .38 or the .40 be? For the reduced recoil? just curious.

Thanks again to all for your input.

The EAA match in .40 is a great gun for Limited division in USPSA and ESP in IDPA. The reason for .40 is that to make major in USPSA Limited you have to shoot at least 40 caliber. If you want something other than a 1911, the EAA (AKA Witness or Tanfoglio) Match is IMHO the best thing going, for the money.

Other possibilities are something like a S&W M&P, Glock, Springfield XD or CZ-75B. These all come in at about the same price ($500), are available in 9x19 for the least expensive ammo, have track records of excellent reliability and accuracy, and have holsters and magazine carriers readily available. They'll work fine out of the box, and can be easily improved by relatively inexpensive gunsmithing.

Why is it that anytime someone says "I'm only interesting in XYZ" people ignore that and suggest stuff totally different? :blink:

The guy said he wants a 1911 and that the Kimber he handled felt good in his hand. That's reason enough. Several great choices that can be built upon have been mentioned.

The Armscor/Rock Island Armory is another affordable, solid choice that can be upgraded over time....heck, slap some sights, a beavertail and a trigger job on it and it wouldn't hold anybody back from winning their class at the SS Nationals.

Edited by G-ManBart

I picked up a Spartan and love it.

Only down side is that if I love the low end STI the high end has got to be like angels handed you a pistol and said to go forth and make holes in paper and knock down plates. The high end costs high end money.

My wallet says "no" but my zen say ".".

That's what my zen always says. I say I want to buy more STI. That's how they get you, they sell you a low cost great gun and let the rest just take care of itself. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

If that Kimber felt good then that is it, if possible. If ONE gun felt good to everybody then we would only have one gun manuf. out there. Try going to a local match, whichever stlye you are getting into, and ask some of the guys and gals to try a mag. You'd be surprised how many will let you. My Kimber has been a great gun for me, will eat anything I feed it. Best of luck.

My son started with a Spartan and had nothing but problems with it. It was so frustrating for him to try to shoot a match with that he sold it and bought a glock 34. The glock runs like a sewing machine. I prefer the XD over the glock but it is just personal preference and I started shooting competitions with an xd and just do not like the feel of a glock.

I bought a Spartan a month ago and love it. I've only put 200 rounds through but it has run without a problem. I shoot it straight out of the box, no lube or anything. The trigger needs work but I've gotten used to it. It shoots better than my Glock 34. I don't think you can go wrong with the Spartan.

Why is it that anytime someone says "I'm only interesting in XYZ" people ignore that and suggest stuff totally different? :blink:

The guy said he wants a 1911 and that the Kimber he handled felt good in his hand. That's reason enough. Several great choices that can be built upon have been mentioned.

The Armscor/Rock Island Armory is another affordable, solid choice that can be upgraded over time....heck, slap some sights, a beavertail and a trigger job on it and it wouldn't hold anybody back from winning their class at the SS Nationals.

That being said, why not get a revolver? :roflol::roflol:

Just kidding! :ph34r: