Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So who wants an 8-shot in 38super?

Rogan

Here's the deal. Bangers Inc was the original distributor that ordered and distributed the 627-4 in 38super. At the Shot Show, Dennis Donahue, an Acount/Purchasing Agent with Bangers, agreed that a second run of 627s in 38super would be a good idea if there was enough interest.

So this is where you, the consumer, comes into play. Mr. Donahue needs letters of interest from potential customers. You will note that I said "letters". Yes, snail mail. He wants written-on-paper letters to take to his chain of command to justify a customer base. The letters need to be sent to:

Bangers Inc

Attn: Dennis Donahue

2971 North Cannon Blvd.

Kannapolis, NC 28083

Here is a sample letter.

Dear Mr. Donahue,

I am writting to you to express my interest in purchasing a Smith and Wesson 627-4 revolver chambered in the 38 super pistol caliber. I currently compete in several shooting matches each year and would like to use such a revolver for competition. If Bangers were to procure a limited edition of this revolver like the previously offered 627-4, I would purchase one.

Because Bangers would be setting the specifications for this limited edition revolver, I would like to see one change with this new edition. I would like to see the cylinder made out of titanium instead of stainless steel. Other than this change, I believe the previous specifications of the 627-4 should remain the same.

Sincerely,

Richard Brethour

(add your e-mail address in case Bangers wants to contact you)

Now before anyone gets irritated with my sample letter, remember, it is a sample letter. I just wrote this to give people some incentive to actually write a snail mail letter. You can copy and paste, then change it as you see fit. If you don't like the specs I put in, add your own. But the simpler we keep these request letters, the easier it will be for Bangers to agree to order the guns. If everyone requests a different version, then they don't know what to order. So lets not send a confusing message.

I'm suggesting the Ti cylinder for two reasons. 1) It give the collectors a reason to buy a second one (and as it has been mentioned here in the past, they buy more guns than we do) and 2) I'm finding on my personal guns that the Ti cylinder offers me a smoother action and no issues with notches peening over.

I have made this a poll to see how much interest there is in this gun. Mr Donahue did not make any mention of a minimun number of requests needed, so more is better.

Don't ask about price. That will be determined by Smith and Wesson and Bangers. We all know what the original 627-4s sold for when new and what current 627s are selling for.

Rich

Edited by Rogan

But if we do this that screws up my retirement plans. At the going rate by the time I get ready to retire the 4 I have in the safe should be enough to get me by for quite some time. If you flood the market with more of these "unicorns", that will devalue the ones I already own. I voted no ;)

Seriously though, I would be suprised if they made them again. You can achieve the same thing with the 38 short colt for alot less money.

Just my .02

Tom

I would only be interested if it came with a tapered 6 1/2 in barrel and a true .355 bore barrel. Pretty much all the hardcore shooters that I know that run them had to put custom barrels on the first guns to get them to shoot well.....and unless you are going to make an open gun out of it the 5in barrels are nothing more than eye candy.

Yeah.....I would probably buy one..... ;)

DougC

I wouldn't get too excited, fellas.

Remember a couple years ago when Randy Lee took point on gathering a consensus on what would be the perfect competition .45 revolver, then sold the concept to a distributor to get it done? (There's a long and detailed thread buried here on the Revo forum with all kinds of discussion.) Well, the whole deal got "un-done" when it turned out the mininum order number and the price were both going to be so high that it was deemed not feasible. And guess what--the involved distributor was none other than good ol' Bangers.

So unless dramatic changes have taken place at S&W since that all happened, you're not going to see anything like this happening.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but we've been down this road here before.

Remember a couple years ago when Randy Lee took point on gathering a consensus on what would be the perfect competition .45 revolver, then sold the concept to a distributor to get it done? (There's a long and detailed thread buried here on the Revo forum with all kinds of discussion.) Well, the whole deal got "un-done" when it turned out the mininum order number and the price were both going to be so high that it was deemed not feasible. And guess what--the involved distributor was none other than good ol' Bangers.

So unless dramatic changes have taken place at S&W since that all happened, you're not going to see anything like this happening.

I read the thread about that fiasco. I think the problem was wanting too much. Keep it simple and it might fly. We might have gotten 6 1/2" Ti cylindered 625's if the wish list had stopped there.

OK, let's say I'm wrong and they do another production run of 627-4s. From the prices we've seen on Performance Center stuff lately, they're going to be too expensive to possibly justify, at least from any practical perspective.

There's really nothing all that magical about the 8-shot .38 Supers. There's nothing they can do that a regular .38/.357 can't do just as well.

Damn Mike, why you got to rain on my parade. I was ready to sell 3 or 4 625's to make room for my new supers. I guess I should wait.....

:surprise:

I just traded for one in unfired condition,Id have to think long and hard to pay

the prices Ive seen some of them go for,.

I like the idea of a 38 super in a revolver no reason really just like em.

Id like to see somone start making custom cylinders.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :devil::goof:

Yes I "need" another revolver... I just can't pay for it. My only real use for it would be messing with the heads of the Production and L10 guys. :devil:

A fun idea, but for what they'd go for, there are other revolvers I could use more.

OK, let's say I'm wrong and they do another production run of 627-4s. From the prices we've seen on Performance Center stuff lately, they're going to be too expensive to possibly justify, at least from any practical perspective.

There's really nothing all that magical about the 8-shot .38 Supers. There's nothing they can do that a regular .38/.357 can't do just as well.

I agree with Mike. I have one of everything that Smith makes with eight holes, and even though I use my ( completely rebulit and modified ) Super, I could and have had the same results with it's .38/.357 conterparts. Something else that these informal votes don't take into account is lots of people vote yes, but their chequebook votes no. Deposits are the only way to gauge genuine interst and numbers. Sorry be be a cloud on what appears to be a proactive move.

On the upside.....they still make a 627 PC 5' gun, and they even offer a low dollar ( by comparison ) pro version, so there are still plenty of competitive opportunities to choose from. :cheers:

I have one of the 627-4s and wouldn't be particularly interested in another

( but I'd probably buy one anyway). :rolleyes:

However, what I'd really be interested in is 5" to 6 1/2" barreled 8-shot revolver chambered in 9mm with moonclips. As Doug Carden says it MUST be a true .355" bore (not just cobbled together with .357 barrels). Now that would be a steel and ICORE gun that would sell a helluva lot more copies than .38 Super!!!

Bob.

A16841

However, what I'd really be interested in is 5" to 6 1/2" barreled 8-shot revolver chambered in 9mm with moonclips. As Doug Carden says it MUST be a true .355" bore (not just cobbled together with .357 barrels). Now that would be a steel and ICORE gun that would sell a helluva lot more copies than .38 Super!!!

Bob.

A16841

How is it they don't already make this gun???

• 2 weeks later...

Bob.

A16841

Put me down for one each ... .38 Super and 9mm

Edited by AultGM