Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thieves

Sarge

I went to a steel match today that was quite crowded. (good time though) There was a guy there with a young teenager and they were picking up brass during the match. I never really paid much attention until I noticed the guy never even shot. Like I said it was crowded so they blended in very well. Some people!

At the end of the match I overheard him talking to one of the guys who was running the match. The jist of it was that he was a new shooter and was just trying to learn what goes on before bringing his gun next time. Good cover!

Edited by sandman78

I went to a steel match today that was quite crowded. (good time though) There was a guy there with a young teenager and they were picking up brass during the match. I never really paid much attention until I noticed the guy never even shot. Like I said it was crowded so they blended in very well. Some people!

I don't mind if they pick up brass after the match but not during.

Anyone picking up brass after the match is getting the "unwanted" stuff.

Now those that pick up during the match and aren't even shooting the match, that ticks me off.

We had an guy and son last year doing the same thing locally at a USPSA match...SWOH area...hmmm could be same duo as I've seen them at other steel events too.

The next USPSA match the MD made a big announcement about brassing etiquette - you guessed it - "they" weren't there.

As far as confronting "them" - someone did just that at the USPSA to the kid with dad watching...dad acted like he wasn't even there...we had to start brassing everyone's just to keep them from snagging them. I prefer the role of brasser/paster anyway as I'm fairly new and don't feel comfortable with much more responsibility yet -_- So all brass got picked up - well maybe not the AL "brass" ;)

You can't fix dumb.

It really sucks.

There's a guy who shows up after local 3 gun matches, but he always asks to make sure we are done before he starts picking up brass. Someone does need to step up and explain range etiquette to people who take advantage.

After the match is over and the shooters have departed the area and none are actively picking brass. I say anything on the ground is fair game. I have alos picked up alot of brass before the match starts. But if I noticed a situation like that I would probably thank them for the help picking up my brass then help myself to whatever bucket they had.

After the match is over and the shooters have departed the area and none are actively picking brass. I say anything on the ground is fair game. I have alos picked up alot of brass before the match starts. But if I noticed a situation like that I would probably thank them for the help picking up my brass then help myself to whatever bucket they had.

:roflol:

That I would PAY to see! :)

Next match (I'm MD) I will announce that there will be no picking up brass untill the match is over and all props, targets, stands, walls, ect are stowed properly. Really chaps my ass when I'm bustin' my butt to get everything cleaned up se we can leave and half the match attendees are gobbling up everythign on the ground. By the time I get over there, nothing is left except steel cased 8mm mauser and .22 lr. <_<

But the father/son brass scroungers, thats bold. And out of line. Spank 'em next time.

I had a shooter at a local match do that between every shooter. He was shooting production and picking up 38 SC brass that 3 of us were shooting along with all the 40 and 45 brass. I waited until we were on the last stage and explained to him that you only pick up your own brass and asked him to dump out all the brass so we could get ours out. We picked our SC brass and the other guys got thier 40 and 45 brass and left him with the 9mm steel cases he was shooting. It did not happen at the next match.

I'll agree with the thieves ticking me off !!! :angry2:

What we do at our matches:

Shooter goes about with the RO checking hits. A few others are pasting and resetting steel. Whom ever is left picks up brass while pasting and resetting goes on. When they get it all up, the brass goes to that shooter. and so on and so forth. When we get a shooter that doesn't want their brass back. whom ever picks it up is who gets to keep it.

Hop

I shoot with the same group of guys almost every weekend. By now we know what each other is shooting and how brass is marked, so we all pick up brass and sort it out during down time. One club I shoot at on rare occasions, brass is picked up between shooters and dumped on the range table. Each chooter is then responsible to collect his or her own brass from the table. Etiquette like that just makes life so much easier.

If these the same "brassers" we had it is the dad's brother who shoots. This guy, when confronted about helping paste, set steel etc, stated that he was unable to help out due to being morbidly obese. He sure shuffles his fat rear end when it is his time to shoot though. This sure seems like a direct cause and effect if you ask me.

I was new last year and thus a bit hesitant to advise these people myself...09 is a new year... :angry2:

Sandman - be sure to give me a heads up and we'll meet at the next local match...

ETA - this behavior is not the norm around here...most guys/gals help whenever and wherever possible...

Edited by hk_mtbr

What we do at our matches is when people pick up brass they take their own brass out and ask other what kind of marks others have in their brass and give every shooter for their brass (this is the nicest way) or just left rest of the brass on the table where everybody can pick up their own brass.

In the early days we just pick up all brass and in the end of the match we just dump out all the brass so we could get ours out. This take time and everybody have to hurry home so we decided to do that during the match.

These things usually goes smoothly but sometimes there is lesson to learn for somebody.

I have been shooting Major 9 for 3 years now so I don't pick up brass for me anymore. :P

If these the same "brassers" we had it is the dad's brother who shoots. This guy, when confronted about helping paste, set steel etc, stated that he was unable to help out due to being morbidly obese. He sure shuffles his fat rear end when it is his time to shoot though. This sure seems like a direct cause and effect if you ask me.

I was new last year and thus a bit hesitant to advise these people myself...09 is a new year... :angry2:

Sandman - be sure to give me a heads up and we'll meet at the next local match...

ETA - this behavior is not the norm around here...most guys/gals help whenever and wherever possible...

Will do!

I remember years ago at Second Chance, there was someone who would try & catch brass coming out of your gun with a butterfly net. Couldn't believe what I was seeing then, but have laughed many times about it over the years.

Shooter goes about with the RO checking hits. A few others are pasting and resetting steel. Whom ever is left picks up brass while pasting and resetting goes on. When they get it all up, the brass goes to that shooter. and so on and so forth. When we get a shooter that doesn't want their brass back. whom ever picks it up is who gets to keep it.

Hop

This is what we do.

This is what I do. Had a guy that wanted other people's .45 brass so bad he would be picking up and wouldn't get back when we got the next shooter up and ready. I warned him once, then I just buzzed the timer and he about crapped himself. Told him next time I'll ask him to leave.

• 2 weeks later...

Hop

This is what we do.

This is what I do. Had a guy that wanted other people's .45 brass so bad he would be picking up and wouldn't get back when we got the next shooter up and ready. I warned him once, then I just buzzed the timer and he about crapped himself. Told him next time I'll ask him to leave.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate this crap too! Today I went to Outdoor World in Savannah, GA to buy a ton of 9mm for reasons explained in another thread. The guys that work there were great. I asked if there was any problem with buying most of the 9 they had and was told no problem. So I have piles of 4 types of 9mm on the counter about 3 cases worth and went back to get a bit of 223. This redneck and his bride? both about 20yo or so were walking around watching me. The next thing I know my pile "with my credit card right on top" was short 2, 100 round boxes of winchester white box. The scumbags disappeared and one of the employees told me about it as he saw it happen from some distance away. If he had just asked me nicely, I would have let him have it, but he just had to be an idiot about it. In any event, I can be sure it was no one on this forum. There is a serious lack of honor in this country and its getting worse.

Jay

Hop

This is what we do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate this crap too! Today I went to Outdoor World in Savannah, GA to buy a ton of 9mm for reasons explained in another thread. The guys that work there were great. I asked if there was any problem with buying most of the 9 they had and was told no problem. So I have piles of 4 types of 9mm on the counter about 3 cases worth and went back to get a bit of 223. This redneck and his bride? both about 20yo or so were walking around watching me. The next thing I know my pile "with my credit card right on top" was short 2, 100 round boxes of winchester white box. The scumbags disappeared and one of the employees told me about it as he saw it happen from some distance away. If he had just asked me nicely, I would have let him have it, but he just had to be an idiot about it. In any event, I can be sure it was no one on this forum. There is a serious lack of honor in this country and its getting worse.

Jay

Be glad you still have your CC.