Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want a Snubbie

Rather-B-Huntin

I intend to do some snubbie shooting in ICORE this season and would like recommendations and to know what some of you guys use in Snubbie division. Also gonna have some 'compact' side matches at our local USPSA events and will be using it there too. Price is somewhat of a consideration (don't wanna spend a grand on one), but I'm willing to go $750-$800.

Whatever I get I'll likely have milled for moonclips if gun isn't already as such. I've been looking hard at the Nightguard 310 shooting light .40. Have also considered at 2.5" 686. If there's something better to use than these guns, let me know.

For ICORE snubby (it's just a category some matches recognize, not a true division), the rule is 3" barrel or less.

Unquestionably, the best choice would be a short-barrelled 25-2 or 3" 625, if you can find one. They did a run of snub .45 ACPs a year or so ago that would work nicely, too: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=122784230

If I were to decide to shoot a gun that qualified for ICORE snub division, I'd probably break out one of my matched pair of 2-3/4" 25-2 Jovino Effectors!

I am long on Snubbes and for our clubs occasional BUG match take my pick. One I pick most often is a M 10 2 inch with Tyler T grips. If I had a M66 2 1/2 would think thats perfect. Sometimes shoot a 36 3 inch too. Next weekend's Match however will shoot my everyday carry gun, just to prove they can be shot. 342 Ti Cylinder.

DSC_1066.jpg

Boats

Edited by Boats

If you could find one and wanted to spend the time tuning it, Ruger made a 6 shot 2 and 3/4 9mm revolver, The security six maybe ?

Yeah, I remember that one. It was an SP101 six shot 9mm. I'd forgot about that one acutally.

I doubt it had adj. sights though. I forgot to mention that is a requirement.

I've located a 325 PD 2.5" gun for what seems to be and excellent price. Anybody shot one, and is it too light for this application, even with ammo loaded to a very low PF?? (I think it weighs in the neighborhood of 22 oz. unloaded)

If you could find one and wanted to spend the time tuning it, Ruger made a 6 shot 2 and 3/4 9mm revolver, The security six maybe ?

Yeah, I remember that one. It was an SP101 six shot 9mm. I'd forgot about that one acutally.

The Security/Speed/Service-Six series were the .38/.357 Rugers prior to the introduction of the GP-100s. They weren't seen much as competition guns, with the exception of Libby Callahan's PPC gun before she switched to ISU. (Am I dating myself, or what?) They were almost the same size as K frame S&Ws, and used the same holsters.

I know the Speed Six (round butt, fixed sights) was offered in 9x19; not sure about the other two versions.

You could always look for a Manurhin. :)

I've located a 325 PD 2.5" gun for what seems to be and excellent price. Anybody shot one, and is it too light for this application, even with ammo loaded to a very low PF?? (I think it weighs in the neighborhood of 22 oz. unloaded)

I have a 325 PD 4", took a grip change to pachmayers to handle recoil. Really light gun, I'm looking to trade to a 625.

FWIW

• 9 months later...

I don't know ICORE rules but in IDPA regular matches I shoot Snubbies often. Best for me is the 625 3 inch ESR. Right behind it is a M 19 2 1/2 inch SSR loaded with Jetloaders. I would guess a 686 2 1/2 would be good too. Weight is your friend for matches. I have some lightweight Snubbies that I carry but they are a challenge to shoot in a match.

Compromise gun carry and match shoot ? Nothing better than a 66 or 19

Boats

I started shooting uspsa revovler with a 3" m13 and still shoot it at a local "idpa style" match every now and then just to keep the bottom feeders on thier toes. Love those k frames . There's just something right about them.

I started shooting uspsa revovler with a 3" m13 and still shoot it at a local "idpa style" match every now and then just to keep the bottom feeders on thier toes. Love those k frames . There's just something right about them.

I agree.