Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The biggest risk I've ever taken

I went through the same thing when I decided to leave England to come here. I sold my house, my car, everything I owned. That last night before the flight was aweful, I was full of doubt and scared out of my wits. I called my brother at midnight and he told me that if I didn't go, that I would regret it for the rest of my life. I arrived in USA with everything I owned in two suitcases, best decision I ever made.

I hope you will be as happy as I have been.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all for the kind words and the support.

I woke up this morning still in the rear view mirror a bit. I gotta tell you, this decision has proven to be more emotionally impacting than I could have ever conceived.

Reality though is that I've got to switch gears - and soon. The new gig starts soon and they didn't hire me for my looks . . .

My wife is simply amazing. She's the biggest support I've got and she's the one that empowers me to get here.

The family and I will be moving to Pittsburgh area. Not certain where, we've got some house shopping to do. Biggest priority is a killer school for my daughter to finish High School in and a relatively short commute to work if possible.

I'll be out there on my own for the next 5 weeks or so. Couple trips back of course, but I think the wife and daughter will come out in early April.

Reality is we've got half a dozen weeks of turmoil as I transition jobs, and then my daughter and wife come out and finally leave here. That'll probably be 6 weeks of me frequently saying "what the hell have I done???"

The deed is done though. And now it's time to really embrace the change and make a difference.

Thanks again to all of you!

Jack

<_< Turn on your competition mode. Make every inner thought a win,

look for any excuse to celebrate. even a tiny good thing

Make up a quick bag of tricks think up real fast three things that you did not like about the OLD job. use them if you have to. Think up some tricks to throw at your daughter too about things that she did not like , and people that she does not like in her OLD school. If you have any habits that you don't like set out an old habit box and say "!Hay lets put the things we don't want in the box and leave them behind"

Tricks can help , we are all 4 years old inside.

<_< You even helped me too Brother , got me thinking harder on our move to Colorado :cheers:

Celebrate every thing you can think of

Well, welcome to the Pittsburgh area. I'm only 45 min south of the city. You might consider looking at St. Clair for your daughter. That area seems to have a lot of money to put in the schools. The kids are a bit snooty though, very much class and name brand oriented. A good kid should be able to take advantage of the good school and not get too bogged down in the social scene though. Just .02 cents. I don't know much about the schools in Pitt proper. Keep your chin up and kick ass on the new job. Things will work out.

-Chris

"I get a lot of funny looks when I start talking about the places I've been, but I wouldn't trade it." (Seth)
Same here. I would't trade MY wacky experiences for anything... because many of them WERE INTENTIONAL and enriching on some level. You will benefit by your exciting decision, one way or another--because you're a smart guy. Best wishes and hugs to all of you.

Jack, I've heard it said that most people "live lives of quiet desperation". While the choice you have made is scary, it is much less scary than the alternative.

If you got to Pennsylvania and learned that a meteor had crashed in to your old house in the middle of the night, it would be much easier to see the Divine guidance in play.

I find it ironic that the most powerful force in the universe has such a light touch. Why ruin a perfectly good house just to send confirmation? :rolleyes:

Everything is as it should be. -Sam

Jack, I've heard it said that most people "live lives of quiet desperation". While the choice you have made is scary, it is much less scary than the alternative.

If you got to Pennsylvania and learned that a meteor had crashed in to your old house in the middle of the night, it would be much easier to see the Divine guidance in play.

I find it ironic that the most powerful force in the universe has such a light touch. Why ruin a perfectly good house just to send confirmation? :rolleyes:

Everything is as it should be. -Sam

It's posts like this that cause me the most concern. Because I'm expected to be able to understand and interpret things in the new job, and come to logical conclusions that accurately get us to where we need to be. I think you just said that the decision I've made is good, that the path is a good path, and that things will work out.

On the flip side, you could be telling me a rock just landed on my house, that I'm living desperately and that I've just screwed up the lives of myself and my family.

Personally, I hope it's the "path is right" message :D

Things are getting easier to digest on. I won't lie, it's been a tough weekend. Maybe 4 hours sleep total and a lot of thought time. Sometimes those thoughts were excitement about what lies ahead. Sometimes those thoughts were "what the hell have I done?" At some point I thought this was going to be a ration of 90% excitement and 10% looking back. Hasn't been that way though. Most of the weekend it was much more like 55% this is a good thing and 45% I'm leaving something great behind.

But choices that are best for you simply aren't always easy. Like when you break up with that one person you've been dating for a really long time. You've got a lot of time and effort in the relationship. You've had a great time together. But at some point you realize that your really aren't going to marry this person. And that while you're both ethical, that maybe you don't see the world eye to eye. And those differences at times are getting bigger, versus smaller. Breaking up with that person - while the right thing to do - is hard to do. You still care about them. Maybe even love them. The easiest thing to do is live complacent - hope things get better. The hard thing to do is to break up. ALlow both of you to succeed seperate from each other. The wrong thing to do is to get married, and hope that big step is the one that makes things right.

Today has been one of the easiest days. I guess it's all out there. The teams know, all the people I've worked with know. The company knows. ANd we're talking with the relocation folks and getting that ball rolling. It's generating some excitement.

I'm worried about living a few months without my wife and daughter up there. If you can't tell, I am very reliant upon my wife for support. She is amazing. So that'll be tough.

But in the end we're going to work to make this thing as awesome as possible. And it'll be an adventure.

Thanks to all! And Sam - please tell me I read that post right :cheers:

Jack

I can some-what relate to your situation. I made a move last year that took me away from family, friends & a successful steady job. I worried so much leading up to it, but after it was all said & done, I worried for nothing. I moved for a great reason & I'm so glad I did.

Life is about risk, & I think it makes you a stronger person.

Good Luck in all you do. It'll work out.

come on gloria, Matt isn't that great of a reason! :roflol:

i think your biggest challenge is moving you daughter from all her friends in high school to another. good luck with that. jack, your in so much trouble.

lynn

Ahhh, thats gonna be one awwwwwesome phone bill coming!...lol

Ugg.

She'll do ok. With facebook, texting, my space, and all the other crap I have no clue about she'll stay in touch with friends. And she's pretty social, she make friends there quickly. Specially once soccer gets going.

Phone bill - I don't even look anymore. I do a high limit plan and hope we have rollover minutes. Otherwise . . . hosed!

Jack

Arkansas shooters breathe a sigh of relief; one less name above theirs in the results...

Pennsylvania shooters gasp; one more name above theirs in the results...

I dont really know Jack, we've shot a few of the same local matches and been squadded together at least once.

Seems like a nice guy and I've learned a few things by watching him run stages. (not to mention reading his posts)

Just kidding about the sighs and gasps, but I do hope you find some recreation time amid the moving chaos,

it's good for the soul.

Jack: In '99 I moved from the UK to CT to start a company with a bunch of guys I didn't know. This was all based on a very solid verbal commitment of funding from a well known "friend" of one of the guys. 2 days after I arrived, the offer was withdrawn. We worked hard, learned and adapted.

2 years later I was working in the travel industry in PA when 9/11 hit. The airline industry was in major turmoil, it seemed all the airlines were filing chapter 11 and my visa was due to expire soon. I worked hard, learned and adapted.

2 years later I was living in Pittsburgh and married with a step daughter. The company was acquired and I was laid off, but got a job in a different industry but with much less pay. I worked hard, learned and adapted.

2 years later I got a new job in Columbus OH and moved the family and pets. I now have another 2 little ones and I'm slowly taking root here.

Moving is stressful, I completely understand, but think of it as an adventure and learn from everything in the past. What's ahead is new and should be seen as an opportunity. Sometimes for me the move wasn't always financially better, but it was another step along the way and I believe every step made me a better person.

Learn and adapt and good luck!

I'm excited.

It gets better and better every day. The housing market is terrible for a move like this, so I think that's going to be a challenge for us. We've figured out that the wife and I will probably just break even on the house. Barely get some equity out of what we've got into it. Which honestly, was NOT the plan. But plans change. And we'll be ok.

The other night my daughter and her coach were talking. All teary eyed as things came to light. This move will be so tough on her - and yet that great conversation between her and her coach where she really realized how much she meant to him and how good he thinks she really is - wouldn't have happened if we weren't leaving.

And I've talked to many friends this week, some I haven't talked to in months. Wouldn't have happened if we weren't moving.

And I realize that I'm going to miss my wife SOOO much through this. It makes me cherish every minute we've got together this week, it'll make me ecstatic to see her when she comes out or I come back. And I'll be giddy as a school boy when they both move out. Wouldn't have appreciated that nearly as much if I weren't moving.

This move will be paralyzing with challenge. But the high points will make it so rewarding. And when we get through it, we'll be so much better off. We'll have grown so much. We'll be so much better.

I'm dreading the pain, but can't wait to see the light at the end.

And we're hearing good things about Pittsburgh. Just hard to realize those things when you aren't there and life is pretty good where you're at. Once we all get out there, we'll find those treasures in Pittsburgh and that'll be fun. Hell, most of the fun will be finding them!

Jack

Another domino falls today.

I'm leaving Arkansas this morning, headed out to Pitt. Should hopefully get there on Sunday, weather permitting. Looks like there's the potential for weather most of the way - that'll make this a little more interesting.

I'm excited about the opportunity but this morning is proving to just be hard. Leaving my wife and daughter behind.

It'll all work out. I have the faith. But that doesn't make it any easier.

Wish me luck folks! I need all the (good) luck I can get!

Jack