Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bladeless Lasik One Week Later

Gary1911A1

As I mention in the recent thread on improving vision http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=79010 I had Lasik done a week ago. I'm 56 and very happy not to wear eyeglasses to do most activies. I do need reading glasses, but I did before when wearing contacts and I'm back to my 1.500 glasses I wore before. Today I had my first retesting of my vision. Berore I felt like I was almost blind so I know it was 20/400 or something. First the good news. I'm 20/15 in my right eye and was able to read about half the letters on the bottom line. It wasn't "Made In The USA", but I'm happy. :D My left is only 20/30 and will make a clicking noise when I blink at times. They told me I can continue to expect to improve and I welcome anyone's input into their experience. I'll get some shooting glasses to focus my dominate eye closer to the front sight as the fiber optic is a little blurry now, but hey at least I can see it better. If my left improves to 20/20 I'll be happy.

There is also a new AcrySol catartact lens procedure for people with catartacts that allows people to see near and far which may be somthing to consider in the future as I plan on shooting Super Senior one day. :cheers:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary - my results have been surprisingly similar. 20/20 or better in right, 20/25 to 20/40 in the left. My left isn't getting better, two weeks post-op. So, I might be headed toward an enhancement. But the right eye... wow... ;) No clicking in my eyes, though :)

Mine was great right after.. 20/20+.. then went down a little.. and over the next 2 weeks.. got progressively better.. and maxed at 20/15... now.. about 5 years later.. it's staying at 20/20.. but I just started wearing reading glasses.. especially when typing on small flies at dusk :)

I like reading these success stories. I can't correct to near what you guys are getting but just getting the astigmatism out of the way would be HUGE for me. Doc says I can probably correct to back where I was about 20 years ago though which would be pretty amazing.

I just get to the point of going for it and start reading horror stories. Hmmm....

For the first month after mine I would go from 20/10 to 20/50ish. One day I was thinking "YES!!" then another it was "CRAP!!" It was normal when I had it done 9 years ago for those swings. Don't know about the technology now. After a month it settled down and I have been so happy I had it done. Other people I know had perfect vision immediately. But almost everyone I know who did it has been extremely happy.

I like reading these success stories. I can't correct to near what you guys are getting but just getting the astigmatism out of the way would be HUGE for me. Doc says I can probably correct to back where I was about 20 years ago though which would be pretty amazing.

Kevin - call Frank Garcia and ask him about his experience w/ Dr. Dell (yes, brother of Michael Dell / Dell Computer) here in Austin. Frank was past what would normally be correctable via LASIK, and Dell was able to fix him right up. I didn't use Dell, but felt confident that he was one of the two go-to guys here (I used the other one). The added cost of a flight in and a hotel room isn't huge compared to the rest of the cost. If you happened to go that route, let me know. I'd be happy to drive you around and such ;)

For the first month after mine I would go from 20/10 to 20/50ish. One day I was thinking "YES!!" then another it was "CRAP!!" It was normal when I had it done 9 years ago for those swings. Don't know about the technology now. After a month it settled down and I have been so happy I had it done. Other people I know had perfect vision immediately. But almost everyone I know who did it has been extremely happy.

Yeah, I've definitely had some of that experience. Hard to be patient ;) But, its part of the healing process - modern drug regimens help that a little bit, but the body still has to heal, so... Even if I need an enhancement in the left eye, I'm already very happy ;)

Several of you mention "Enhancements". Can you tell me more of what that means?

"Enhancement" is their fancy term for another surgery to provide a better correction than the first one did. The only real difference is that they can usually still lift the original flap, so there's no need to create a new one. The flap won't fully heal for a year or so, but is generally pretty solid within a day, and then essentially in place well after 1-3 months.

It takes most of a month to settle/heal to where its going to basically stay - the one month checkup is where you get a pretty good idea what the surgery actually did. It takes three months to stabilize to a point where they can make a solid technical evaluation - and they can't do an enhancement until that point, either.

So, the obvious question is, with all the modern technology and such, why can't they just get it right the first time? And, does a need for an enhancement indicate a poor surgeon? Not at all... Basically, the art in this surgery is that they cannot predict how your body is going to heal 100% accurately. They make a best guess, based on a lot of factors (age, your eye's topology, etc), and make a correction that will both give the best chance to be correct the first time, and err on the side of being easily fixed if your body heals slightly differently than expected. That usually means they err on the side of under-correction for nearsightedness - much easier to correct than if they overshoot.

I can still see the incision where they cut the flap if circumstances are right. Bright sunlight at the right angle. No sunglasses. I will think there is a hair hanging over my eye juuuuust on the outside of my peripheral vision. I think I might notice it maybe a couple of times a year. It's infrequent enough that I spend 10 minutes trying to find the hair before I remember I had lasik. Then I feel like a real idiot.

Had mine done about 8 or 10 years ago. I had 20/15 and 20/20 at my first week check up and it stayed there. My eye doctor could not see the incision with the naked eye 2 months after the surgery. It was one of the best things I have ever done. I have tried to talk my wife into it, but she worries too much. I had mine done in Canada, and the doctor who did the surgery had done over 6000 by the time he did mine.

I'm almost afraid to go because, I am guessing this is gonna cost me some serious $.

Well, it ain't cheap.... <_< Cheaper, though, if you can do it via a Flexible Spending Account at work (pay in pre-tax dollars).

My eye doctor could not see the incision with the naked eye 2 months after the surgery.

The doc had a hard time spotting mine w/ a slit lamp at one week :surprise:

I had mine done in Canada, and the doctor who did the surgery had done over 6000 by the time he did mine.

6000 is probably enough to make me comfortable.. My guy had done 17000 :lol: You definitely would like to avoid the guy who's on his first few ;)

Quote by glockman2000 I'm almost afraid to go because, I am guessing this is gonna cost me some serious $$.

The Cincinnati Eye Institute uses Care Gredit to do payments in a two year period. That's what I'm doing. Thanks for the info on Enhanchments. I'll decide in three months, but if it's not any better I'll go ahead and get it done again. It should be right after the Single Stack.

I had mine done last summer. I'd worn glasses for 35 years and I have been amazed at how well it's gone. the only problem I have is dry eyes. I recommend it to anyone who is considering it.

It's nice to be able to see my toes in the shower again and to be able to see when I wake up. But I do find I still try to take my glasses off out of habit. :lol:

I had been considering LASIK for years. 20/40 uncorrected for decades.

I was always able to get 20/15 with glasses. I hated contacts.

Last doctor visit said the B work, bifocals. And he wanted over $800 for the visit and new glasses.

My livelihood requires perfect vision, so this isn't something that I took lightly.

After months of research, I picked a local doc that has been doing it for over 15 years.

The machine used is one big factor too.

SA Friday drove me to the surgery yesterday afternoon (lunch was on me). In the chair for about 20-25 minutes,

I probably should have accepted the valium, but declined based on ego. I got cleared to leave an hour later, and only had to wait for the men in white coats to clear SA.

I could tell that the ability to see had improved within 30 minutes, soreness, swelling, haze was still bad though. I woke up this AM and could easily see 20/20. First post op exam was at 0730. They measured me at 20/15 with both eyes 16 hours after the surgery. Still a little sore, and as far as I can tell, the sharpness of vision keeps improving thru the day.

I'm not eligible for monovision due to job requirements, so reading glasses will be in my future.

In today's economic times, the doctors will work with you on price. A friend got $400 off for agreeing to a test on vitamin E.

When I asked about it, they said that the study was over, but that they would knock $800 off. All they can say is no, so ask.

I think that I'll spend the $800 on reloading supplies.

I'm too chicken to allow someone to cut on my eyes.... :unsure: Besides, how often does this need to be redone to remain at 20/20?

Not only a chicken, I'm concerned over knocking something loose after the surgery. How long should you not go shooting after the surgery. If it takes 3 months to heal, that's a long time to not shoot.

Bill

I have an appointment with my eye doc next week (time for new lenses anyway) and will talk this over with him again. My health plan now covers a portion of the surgery. I'd love to be able to at least read my watch without glasses again.

It's nice to be able to see my toes in the shower again ...
So is there some side effect that loses the beer gut. I'm interested.

Seriously however. I'm wanting to get some eye correction done. Just got back from the range and I'm PO'd and frustrated. I was trying to shoot an iron sight rimfire handgun from a rest at a 0.375" dot at 25' to try a new ammo for groups. Sights were way fuzzy and I could barely make out the dot on the target. Groups were hopeless.

Time to either poop or get off the pot. Go Open or get my eyes fixed.

Hank Ellis and all,

I had LASIK in 2003, using a LADAR system mapping driven eximer laser. This corrected nearly all my near sightedness.

My left eye in 20/13 with exceptionally clear vision, the right, my dominant had great astigmatism. There is a slight residual astigmatism in that eye. It is 20/18 or so.

Now, about the front sight. Unless you ask for mono-vision and and insist on it, you will still, if over 45 or so not be able to see the front sight. LASIK does not cure a visual deficiency and presbyopia. The range of focus of an aging eye is still limited.

I am very happy with my surgery, but I do need a specific front sight lens for my service rifle, bullseye pistol, and action pistol games. Since you should wear safety lenses of some sort anyway I feel that is acceptable. I am still in the Army and were I do do this over I would have insisted on mono-vision.

Michael

I had it done 8 years ago, and it's the best money I ever spent. Since getting over the 1/2 century mark by a couple of years, the only problem I have is now the writing on restaurant menus are getting smaller!! I need reading glasses for really small print, but I think this is just age catching up with me. I did not shoot for two weeks after surgery and on the third weekend was good to go. I still see 100% better now than before having the procedure.

I'm too chicken to allow someone to cut on my eyes.... :unsure: Besides, how often does this need to be redone to remain at 20/20?

Not only a chicken, I'm concerned over knocking something loose after the surgery. How long should you not go shooting after the surgery. If it takes 3 months to heal, that's a long time to not shoot.

Bill

In my case I could start shooting again after a week which I did in a week and a half starting with .22 Tactical Solution. I will like Michael need to get something like paste on magnifiers. I'm going to try a 1.25 and 1.5 with a fiber optic front sight. Despite a blurry front sight I was shooting good groups with my 22 Tactical Solution. Maybe that means something? :unsure:

I've got it all. Myopia. Astigmatism. Cross dominance. And my 40th birthday gift, presbyopia.

Thinking the path I should go is mono-vision with dominate eye set to handgun front sight and the other for distance. My shooting glasses are set up that way and it worked till my prescription changed. Only negative is I couldn't read text unless I took my glasses off. I can live with reading glasses. I'm right handed, left eye dominate and shoot all guns right handed.

Although this will take care of the shooting side I have a concern for my employment. In aircraft maintenance I have a need to see fine detail up close. Will reading glasses in addition to mono vision correction still allow me to see fine detail?

FWIW there's three guys at work who've had lens replacements due to cataracts. None of them wears glasses anymore and all of them can see stuff without readers that I can't. All of them would do it again in a heartbeat.