Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bladeless Lasik One Week Later

Gary1911A1

Surgeon called me last week after confering with the local doc and Dr. Dell. Bottom line is that no enhancement till after 6 months as the eyes are still healing for the 6 month period. After that we'll revisit the possibility of an enhancement. Kinda knew it already but at least they are on notice that where I'm at is not where I want to be.

Stay tuned for the next episode of the most boring drama show on BEnos.com.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Even past 6 months, mine is continuing to improve - or, at least, get more consistent. My eyes are less dry - I put drops in before and after bed, and almost never otherwise... and I'm seeing super super sharp. There's a lot more radio antennas and stuff out on the horizon than I ever realized!

Now we just have to keep pulling for Hank! :)

I like reading these success stories. I can't correct to near what you guys are getting but just getting the astigmatism out of the way would be HUGE for me. Doc says I can probably correct to back where I was about 20 years ago though which would be pretty amazing.

I just get to the point of going for it and start reading horror stories. Hmmm....

I had lasik done a few months ago.

I was blind... As in... my mother and sister standing 20 feet away from me, I couldn't tell who was who.

Now, 20-15 in both eyes.

Freedom.

• 2 months later...

Got mine done yesterday. So far - so good. I was 20/20 this morning and I am sitting at my computer with no readers for the first time in 15 yrs. I got both eyes done for distance but my close vision is also much improved... If it stays like it is right now - 24 hours after the procedure - I am happy.

Edit because the eye procedure did not help my spelling.

Edited by Merlin Orr

• 2 weeks later...
Got mine done yesterday. So far - so good. I was 20/20 this morning and I am sitting at my computer with no readers for the first time in 15 yrs. I got both eyes done for distance but my close vision is also much improved... If it stays like it is right now - 24 hours after the procedure - I am happy.

Edit because the eye procedure did not help my spelling.

Yeah the procedure doesn't help spelling at all. If anything the procedure points out the errors more clearly. BTW: Which procedure did you have?

ASA 6 months later. Just what I figured.

Had the 6 month checkup today. No change from the last 2 checkups. 20/50 left, 20/40 right. Only change is there was a marked decrease in astigmatism in the left eye. About 1 full diopter. Could be from multiple reasons. Left eye finally healed. Had two less beers the night before. Good nights sleep. Who knows.

The local doc said everything is stabilized and whatever I get from here on out will be very small changes that I probably won't notice. She will contact the surgeons and will recommend an enhancement. We'll see and wait for the call from the surgeons. I fully expected this and am ready to go back to get rezapped.

I let y'all know what the surgeons say when they call back.

Hope things work out for you. I had a very interesting thing happen to me about 6 years ago. I had worn glasses for 35 + years. I started having severe headaches so I decided it was time to have my eyes checked. I had not had that done for 15 years. I figured I would need stronger glasses. Sitting in the chair I did the usual "which is better" thing.

The doc read my prescription again, scratched his head and informed me that I no longer needed glasses. My eyes had gone from 20/100 to 20/40 in left eye and 20/30 in right. No real good explanation other than eyes can change with age.

• 3 months later...

My bad for not updating this thread sooner. Life is getting in the way.

Update from the docs. All agree that I should go back under the laser and get a touchup. The decision was made in December. Due to Christmas, New Years, Mardi Gras, and the wife's and my birthdays it was decided to schedule the surgery in March.

So. March 25th I'll be back in Austin for round 2.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the progress so far. The dryness has mostly gone away. Maybe a drop in each eye every other day. Worse when I'm at work staring at a computer screen all day. Only negative is that instead of 20/20 I ended up with 20/40. Much better than when I walked in but not where I should be. Considering all the factors making my case a difficult one I don't think this second surgery is out of the question. I know of one high level shooter who was told up front that his case would take two trips to the zapper. His results are outstanding.

I'll keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Went and did it. ASA Round 2.

Pretty much if you go back and read my posts from the first go around you know what I'm going through. Only difference this time around was the pain. It kicked in about an hour after the surgery. Thanks to the pain meds and sleep I got through it. Once the cornea healed by the third day all was good.

The 5 day checkup revealed nothing out of the ordinary. As the doc said any data gathered in the first month isn't valid as the healing process is still underway.

While I'm waiting for the vision to stabilize a bit more I'll get caught up on reloading. Plan to take a month off of shooting. Got plenty of projects around the house to keep me busy.

• 7 months later...

I had astigmatism in both eyes. Left has more astigmatism than right. Contacts are 4.50 right 5.50 left. My Lasik surgery was this past Friday.

Friday: After the numbing drops wore off the burning and tearing up to hour 3 post surgery was unpleasant.

Saturday: I still had very noticible irritation in my left eye the next morning when I went to my follow up exam. Everything looked good at the exam. Right eye is 20/20 left is 2 lines higher.

Sunday: Eyes are still sensitive to light.

Monday: Right eye is still perfect. Left eye vision is a little blurry. Irritation is minimal. Light sensitivity back to normal. Both eyes are bloodshot. Plenty of healing left to do. Have another follow up on Tues Nov 30th.

Feeling good about this at day 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 4: I can (usually) read the computer screen w/o reading glasses.

Day 11: Checkup, everything looks good

Day 12: Squeezed the muscles in my eye, bad idea. Lots of irritation.

Day 13: Woke up today with swelling around my left eye. Met with the doctor in the afternoon. I have fluid build up in my eye, normal it will clear itself. Dr Alban smoothed out 2 striae, flap wrinkles, on the left side of the left eye. They were not in my line of vision and not part of my vision/irritation issues. She expects my vision to improve in the next 4 weeks and to improve over the 6 months following the surgery. They added sterile sodium chloride drops twice a day. I was warned that it would sting and it does. This is probably why they don't give it to everyone.

Minor inconvenience is small trade off for not being vision handicapped. I had it done 11 months ago and it was one of the best decisions I made. Just wish I wouldn’t have been cheap and put it off for so many years.

• 5 months later...

I just had bladeless lasik 3 days ago. My vision was instantly about 20/12.5 for both eyes the day after.

Question... can I go shooting on the 4th day? The doc said I can but I shoot indoors so I'm a little worried.

BTW, any of you guys ever heard of the horror stories of flaps getting dislodged?