Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N350 Load too hot?

Darianis

I loaded up a batch or zero 125 sitting over 7.8gn of N350 Winchester SRP Federal once fired. My smith fired 2 rounds and said they are too hot. The primers are flattening. He wants to see some load tables for this cartridge. I have looked and can't find anything can someone please give me a link to this or any info that will help me.

Thanks

Tony

I loaded up a batch or zero 125 sitting over 7.8gn of N350 Winchester SRP Federal once fired. My smith fired 2 rounds and said they are too hot. The primers are flattening. He wants to see some load tables for this cartridge. I have looked and can't find anything can someone please give me a link to this or any info that will help me.

Thanks

Tony

If your loading Major 9, I believe you are to hot. You should be more like 6.8/7.0.

Thanks

Tony

If your loading Major 9, I believe you are to hot. You should be more like 6.8/7.0.

Hmm I used this page as a baseline and basically copied his load This load.

Load data

Thanks

Tony

Load data

I believe that load was for a 38S/SComp not Major 9.

If I had my load book with me, I could tell you for sure.

Thanks

Tony

Load data

I believe that load was for a 38S/SComp not Major 9.

If I had my load book with me, I could tell you for sure.

Nope, Jason was/is shooting 9.

darianis,

if you goal for this load is 9mm MAJOR then it is going to be hot. you are well over VV max load for a 124gr (either 9mm or 38super). is your intent to have a very hot load?

Edited by dr2e

darianis,

if you goal for this load is 9mm MAJOR then it is going to be hot. you are well over VV max load for a 124gr (either 9mm or 38super). is your intent to have a very hot load?

I just want a round that makes power and is reliable. I have VV N350 and 3n37 avalable. I saw looked at that post saw that several people have used that load and liked it so I wanted to try it out and see how it worked.

Chrono!

what he said! ;)

plus trust your 'smith's opinion.

VV list 6.0 max for 124gn per there web site

-but V V and other powder companies generally WON'T tell you about 9mm Major - at least few will give "published" data for a 124 grn bullet.

If you are not comfortable exceeding published 9mm loads, then 9mm and 38 super are probably not for you, and you might consider shooting another division in USPSA.

Darianis: I am betting that the load you copied was for a gun with LOTS of holes in the barrel (ie "hybrid" holes). Probably that load you copied was for a gun which begins venting powder/gas after about 2" to 2.5".

Are you shooting a gun with a full 5" barrel? If so, the loads will be very very different.

Also, what OAL are you using?

Many of the Major 9mm shooters are loading 9mm out to 1.200" using the Montana Gold 124 JHP - and if you are loading shorter then you will have pressure problems.

Can you tell us more about your gun, your barrel and your OAL?

Finally, what 9mm Major load did your gunsmith suggest? If he is not familiar with 9mm major, then either find another smith or switch divisions.

Regards,

d

Chrono!

what he said! ;)

VV list 6.0 max for 124gn per there web site

-but V V and other powder companies generally WON'T tell you about 9mm Major - at least few will give "published" data for a 124 grn bullet.

If you are not comfortable exceeding published 9mm loads, then 9mm and 38 super are probably not for you, and you might consider shooting another division in USPSA.

Darianis: I am betting that the load you copied was for a gun with LOTS of holes in the barrel (ie "hybrid" holes). Probably that load you copied was for a gun which begins venting powder/gas after about 2" to 2.5".

Are you shooting a gun with a full 5" barrel? If so, the loads will be very very different.

Also, what OAL are you using?

Many of the Major 9mm shooters are loading 9mm out to 1.200" using the Montana Gold 124 JHP - and if you are loading shorter then you will have pressure problems.

Can you tell us more about your gun, your barrel and your OAL?

Finally, what 9mm Major load did your gunsmith suggest? If he is not familiar with 9mm major, then either find another smith or switch divisions.

Regards,

d

Since powder tables are useless for determining how much slower/faster, here's some of my load data to noodle on.

5" barrel (non ported), 125 Zero JHP, once fired brass, WSP, OAL=1.175", approximately 170PF.

Silhouette- 7.5gr

N350 - 7.7gr

True Blue - 7.8gr

Longshot - 7.9gr

HS6 - 8.0gr

HS7 - 9.4

3N38 - 9.5

AA#7 - 10.0

This is the quote from the original thread. This setup is identical to mine. My thoughts were why reinvnet the wheel when I have one right there in front of me.

First the disclaimer. I don't believe in just quoting charge weights and taking them as gospel. I use a balance scale that I've had for over 20 years. As long as I use this scale with my loading notes, I'm good to go. Taking charge weights from this forum, from stray off the wall website, or your brother in law's second cousin is bad juju.

That done, my 9 Major load with 124 gr MG JHP with WRP primers is 7.7 gr N-350 (using my scale). OAL = 1.195".

I broke out a new 4# canister of N-350 last week so I spend a little time running these loads over the chrono.

Results were an average of 1380 fps for a PF of 171+. This is a little hotter than the last canister of powder but good enough for govt work (no slam intended Bart). As I expected, there are no obvious signs of pressure (a very unreliable indicator) and reloading this brass another time did not indicate the primer cup enlarging.

Take all recommendations and cut the charge weight significantly (usually recommended at -10% but I start closer to -20%) and work your loads up with a good chrono. Any changes in primers or powder manufacture lot and you start over again.

Bill

Edited to add: And my gun? Full size with Schueman barrel (4 holes) and 3 chamber comp. Less than 10,000 rds through this barrel.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Results were an average of 1380 fps for a PF of 171+. This is a little hotter than the last canister of powder but good enough for govt work (no slam intended Bart).

LOL....too funny. I use that analogy all the time!

For what it's worth, in 38SC my N350 load with either Zero 125gr JHPs or MG 121gr IPFs was 7.9gr. The primers (WSR) were slightly flattened. When I got the gun, Dan Bedell told me to try 8gr of either N350 or 3N37 with a 125gr JHP and then adjust up or down as necessary.

If I was getting slightly flattened primers with that amount of powder in a 38SC, I can only imagine they would be similarly flattened in a 9 Major. They weren't smeared, just flat. R,

Disagree here, w/ regards to Super. I run a load that is well within the published range of the manufacturer for .38 Super. ;) (125gr Zero, N105...) You can definitely load Super to major (even old major) and stay within SAAMI pressure specs for the cartridge.

9 Major has been done (in various forms) for quite a while. Yes, you have to load to hotter than SAAMI specs (+P+-ish, maybe a tad more). People have been doing it for quite a while. I agree with Carlos that, if your smith is unfamilar w/ 9 Major, perhaps you should consider a different smith longer term ;)

350 is HARSH to me, played with it a little and did not like it at all. Even in a Super it was nasty. Worst major powder I have used so far as far as feel goes, I didn't have any pressure signs at all.

3n-37 is a world better to me, and I can go well into the 190's power factor and not flatten primers. WSP and Federal SP primers show NO signs of pressure at all with 3n-37 and 115's loaded to 176 power factor. Key thing is I know how to help alleviate pressure problems with barrel set up.

I would chrono after dropping back a half a grain or so and ladder test them up in .2 grain increments. If my 9mm was showing pressure on pistol primers at less than 180 power factor I would know that the barrel set up isn't optimal for 9mm and evidently the smith isn't as 9mm savvy as I would like. Not to pick on your guy, quite the opposite, in the conversations I have had there aren't all that many that really understand 9mm major and what it takes to make one sing.

• 4 months later...

I shot some loaded at 7.4gr yesterday (n350) and it was borerline major in my .38. Would have been 160.00 if you took the highest of all the shots over the chrono. Average was 1275 .I'm gonna bump it up again and try Sun. No pressure signs and it felt great in my gun...we'll see what it is like with a few more fps.

For s&g's I tried the same loads through my IMM and it averaged 110fps slower.

• 9 months later...

Thanks

Tony

In my STI that is a .38 Super/Supercomp load!

I've run N350 in my 38SC guns, I load 8.0gr at 1.260 with a 125gr Zero no pressure signs using Federal Small Pistol primers, the softest primer. I use CCI primers most of the time but like to do some testing with the Federals to pick up early signs of pressure. My expierence has been that N350 is one of the powders that produces less pressure than most. XRE's N105 is a good load, it will flatten about any gun right out, just a little more straight back recoil than AA#7, which I use and he hates.

I use AA#7 (10.5gr/125/1.260) because it feels best in my gun, it is nasty dirty and cheap, what more could you want.?

I am using N350 in 9mm major for at least two years. 7.6gr N350 at 1.160OAL 125gr Zero JHP at 1355FPS "AV".

I like N350 becuase it is clean. If I could pick something else... I would problably shoot HS6, but it's too dirty for me.

DVC,

Sandro

[quote name='CocoBolo' date='23 March 2010 - 08:11 AM' timestamp='1269346287' I use AA#7 (10.5gr/125/1.260) because it feels best in my gun, it is nasty dirty and cheap, what more could you want.?

You may want to consider shortening that OAL from a safety perspective. It's at the point that you probably can't easily eject loaded rounds without them hitting the front of the ejection port. When that happens, sooner or later, a live round is going to rotate and bounce the primer off the ejector just right and you'll have a small explosion in your hands :surprise:

1.235" seems to avoid that problem with most all bullets, and runs in every gun I've tried it so far. It'll also let you drop your powder charge a tenth or two (pennies count right). R,

Chrono!

what he said! ;)

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Ditto

Until you chrono you are kinda like a surgeon cutting before looking at the xray/ct/mri. You need to know what that load is doing in your gun.

[quote name='CocoBolo' date='23 March 2010 - 08:11 AM' timestamp='1269346287' I use AA#7 (10.5gr/125/1.260) because it feels best in my gun, it is nasty dirty and cheap, what more could you want.?

You may want to consider shortening that OAL from a safety perspective. It's at the point that you probably can't easily eject loaded rounds without them hitting the front of the ejection port. When that happens, sooner or later, a live round is going to rotate and bounce the primer off the ejector just right and you'll have a small explosion in your hands :surprise:

1.235" seems to avoid that problem with most all bullets, and runs in every gun I've tried it so far. It'll also let you drop your powder charge a tenth or two (pennies count right). R,

Funny you should mention that, I have had one come out and go back in ULSC then I busted it off into the berm and DQ'ed myself. Since then I've been a lot more careful. I paint them with blue Dykem which makes them hard to see. I am going to shrink them down in the next batch since I have been having to add more and more powder as my barrel is getting a litte lose.