Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable or Fixed?

steveyacht

I shot my second ever Steel Match yesterday, first one with my G17. While I did ok, The sights SUCK. As mentioned in a previous thread, they shoot 2-3" high, so I spent the day compensating my sight accordingly. That said, I will be changing sights, as soon as I can get it through my pea brain what I want to use. Being as this thing is shooting that high with factory sights (confirmed it using a laser bore sight gizmo) would y'all suggest fixed or adjustable rear sight? If fixed, what the heck will I get the durnned thing Zeroed in?

Thanks,

Steve

On my main competition gun, a G34, I went Dawson FO front, adjustable rear. Zero it once to your load then forget about it.

On my G17 I used Warren Sevigny sights, a fixed rear, FO front. Funny, those are right on as well <_<

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

Addendum:

Please note, if you, yourself, are installing aftermarket sights into your Glock for the first time, that the OEM dovetail slot is actually tighter in the middle. This apparently is deliberate, allowing a more secure hold on the plastic OEM rear sights. Trying to cram a solid steel based sight in there can be an exercise in cussing, bruised fingers, bent/deformed punches and brassed marred sights and slides (don't ask how I know). You will probably need to take down the sight's dovetail a bit.

I have and use both, but I just prefer the Dawson adjustables. They are rock solid and it is nice to be able to adjust them if necessary.

The only thing I would add to the above is make sure you get the .100 X .300 front from Dawson. All of my Glocks (17's and 34's) shoot high with the .285 height Dawson. Might just be my grip.

Addendum:

Please note, if you, yourself, are installing aftermarket sights into your Glock for the first time, that the OEM dovetail slot is actually tighter in the middle. This apparently is deliberate, allowing a more secure hold on the plastic OEM rear sights. Trying to cram a solid steel based sight in there can be an exercise in cussing, bruised fingers, bent/deformed punches and brassed marred sights and slides (don't ask how I know). You will probably need to take down the sight's dovetail a bit.

I have installed two sets of Dawson adjustable and never had a problem. Maybe its a particular brand of sights?

Have you had anybody else shoot your pistol? With proper trigger control and sight alignment I've never seen a factory Glock "off." A lot of people think their sights are off because they aren't pressing the trigger properly.

I prefer fixed. Regardless of brand. Put em smack in the middle and press the trigger straight back to the rear. Bullets will go where the front sight was when the shot broke.

Addendum:

I have installed two sets of Dawson adjustable and never had a problem. Maybe its a particular brand of sights?

Had this problem with the Dawson adjustables I bought, but it wasn't too bad. It was a lot worse with the two sets of Sevigny sights I got, each purchased separately about a year apart. I, too thought it was the sights, then read in Ptooma Productions' The Complete Glock Reference Guide that the dovetail actually is different. Looking closely at the G34 and G35 slides I have, I can actually see it.

On the last set, I had to take down the dovetail both above and below to get it in...

Edited by kevin c

What Kevin C says about the GLOCK dovetail being "Pinched" in the middle is correct...I prefer to "Work" on the SIGHT, rather than the SLIDE...always "Cut" on the CHEAPEST part, if possible...coupla' passed with a MILL BASTARD File on the bottom of the sight "Base", and you're usually "Good-to-Go"...

Another reason to NOT modify the dovetail in the slide is that you may want to install another set of sights at some time in the future...either the stock GLOCK sights--altho' I don't know WHY--or another set, maybe by a different aftermarket maker, that fits "Looser" in the dovetail than the first set...if you've "Cut" on the dovetail, then where are ya'???...HTH....mikey357

I went from adjustables to fixed. I like how they sit lower. Any of the fixed sights mentioned out here are "on" enough for our game. I check the POI at around 25 yards and Warrens on my G17 were just a little low and Dawsons on my G34 are a little high. I can ring a 10" plate at 50 yards consistently with either if I do my part, so both are plenty accurate. I prefer a little high myself, it's better for me for shooting steel. Even with adjustables, I dialed it a little high so I can aim at the lower half of plates and see more of the target. Some guns may be dead on, others may be a hair up or down (even within same Glock models). Your bullet weight and charge will also play a factor, of course. Just know where POI is and be OK with "close enough." As one GM shooter told me, fixed sights on a Glock are "the bomb." ;)

...I prefer to "Work" on the SIGHT, rather than the SLIDE...always "Cut" on the CHEAPEST part, if possible...coupla' passed with a MILL BASTARD File on the bottom of the sight "Base", and you're usually "Good-to-Go"...

...if you've "Cut" on the dovetail, then where are ya'???...HTH....mikey357

Very good point. I wasn't clear that I was filing the sight, not the slide... (with the Tenifer finish, the slide is one hard SOB any way...)