Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blind "A" at 7 yards

Chris iliff

After reading Calamity Janes post on "Feeling" maybe being more important than "Sight" I thought I'd try an experiment.

Here's the gig: Using the standard target(with a head) Draw and fire 10 times @ 7 yards. Class/times/equipment. Any feelings and comments about the experience please post. THE CATCH IS YOU MUST SHOOT WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED. NO KIDDING....EYES CLOSED. I will run these with no warm-up or tuning of my NPA. Just strap the gun on and shoot it blind.

CR speed rig/open sti/B class

time hit

1 1.30 d

2 1.17 d

3 1.22 m

4 1.06 d

5 1.13 m

6 1.07 d

7 1.01 d

8 .99 m

9 1.04 m

10 1.10 m

Gives me an average draw of 1.1 and a 50/50 chance of even hitting the target. Repeated immediatley with eyes open and my average draw was 1.07 and I had 5 A's and 5 C's all low at the bottom of the A zone. Really monitored my feelings and thoughts and ran a perfect A shot video in my head before every beep. I learned that my NPA needs some work and I think I'm arcing a little in my draw. Ahhh,..... things to work on. Let's see some more. An average of time and points is fine and will speed the posting for you.

After reading Calamity Janes post on "Feeling" maybe being more important than "Sight" I thought I'd try an experiment.

Here's the gig: Using the standard target(with a head) Draw and fire 10 times @ 7 yards. Class/times/equipment. Any feelings and comments about the experience please post. THE CATCH IS YOU MUST SHOOT WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED. NO KIDDING....EYES CLOSED. I will run these with no warm-up or tuning of my NPA. Just strap the gun on and shoot it blind.

Might not be a bad idea to have friend/RO there to make sure you aren't launching rounds over the berm, since half the shots you list were mikes. :unsure:

Doug

This is a cool drill. I do it quite often with my dry fire routine, but haven't done it on the range since last season. I'll let you know how it goes when I get out there.

If one's NPA is really so horrible that they think they may be launching rounds off of the range, when they are 21' from the berm, they probably shouldn't be shooting at all...even with their eyes open. :roflol:

I know, I know, be safe. Yes, be sure of your level of control. Don't do it if you think it is unsafe. NOW, enough with the ghast, do the drill or don't, and post the results and anything you felt or learned.

Edited to say: It's an experiment, I don't believe in the Force. I do believe that my NPA is a little off, and what an eye opener for me to learn that I was actually faster, nevermind the more accurate, but actually FASTER seeing than not seeing. "Shoot as fast as you can see" now has more meaning to me than before.

Edited by fourtrax

You can do this with an Air Soft pistol. At seven yards they're accurate enough for what you want to try, and a plastic pellet won't be much of a hazard if it goes over your backstop (now, if you're indoors, watch the overhead lights...)

• 3 weeks later...

That's a good drill. You can add a bit to it by - after you fire the shot, hold your pistol in position, then open your eyes. Remember two things - where your sights are pointing, and where the shot hit the target. Hopefully they're the same place. The "biofeedback" you're adding will help your body improve faster.

be

We did this at 5 yards at an IDPA match, with a paper grocery bag over the head, 6 shots.

I was minus zero on that. I did take an index with my hands pressed together right before they dropped the bag over.

If I can do it, anyone can...OTOH last match had a "gambler/Han Solo" shoot under the table. My targets would have lived, but with no more love life.

Never tried it blind, but I do practice point shooting at close distance both live fire and airsoft. Interesting idea however. And I like the idea of opening the eyes to see what I'm pointing at, that would be a good dry fire drill as well I would think.