Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running Shoes

D.carden

I need a "good" pair of running/jogging shoes.......

Any runners out there with suggestions.??????

My build is 6'0''/230 lbs......I'm looking for the ultimate in sole displacement/comfort.

After recently playing a game of raquetball and feeling the sore muscles of actually moving my body in sprint fashion with feet-on-the-ground and not on a cardio-machine.......I clearly need to hit the pavement also more often....Ya, i'm just like everyone else, athletic in my youth (25yrs ago) but need to be brought up to speed (i'm 47 now).....literaly.

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by D.carden

I would go to some type running shoe store to get fitted. Run Tex in Austin, TX will check your feet and how you walk etc. I struggled with shin splints for years and since I have been fitted with the correct shoe, they haven't come back. Now I just have to start running again...

Edited by GeneralChang

Go to http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whichshoe/...0-0-0-0,00.html if the link doesnt work it's under tools shoe finder, "What shoe is right for me". You do not want cool looking light weight running shoes made for runners. You need jogging shoes for heavy guys. I know I ran in the Army for 20 years and it took me 10 years to figure it out. You want shoes specifically made for your weight and pronantion. This websight will educate you pretty well. And you dont have to spend a fortune. Most likely you'll want New Balance's made on a SL2. look inside where your heal is. 99% of shoes in the stores are made for lighter runners. big heavy guys dont run or buy running shoes so go figure. New Balance 580's as in 580 -589 were made for heavy guys with fallen arches and were great for me, then they became "In style and faddish" and turned into junk. The NB 1011's are by far the top of the line and specifically made for heavier joggers that are running more for fitness than to win a marathon and need more motion control. If you can find some 586's on clearance somewhere those will work also. Dont waste time with stores. Even though you'll see the big "Different shoe types for different feet" displays and you'll find you need MC "motion control" from the displays when you look there wont be any models to choose from. Figure out your size from the same brand then just mail order them. From a company like Zappos or runnersworld that has a no BS return policy.

I would go to some type running shoe store to get fitted. Run Tex in Austin, TX will check your feet and how you walk etc. I struggled with shin splints for years and since I have been fitted with the correct shoe, they haven't come back. Now I just have to start running again...

Do as instructed here. Lots of real running shoe stores will put you on a treadmill and photograph your stride/foot strike. After they analyze the film and take a look at your build they will haul out several options for you to chose from. Most of these types of stores do this service for free. I'm 6'4 and 230 and learned the hard way on getting the appropriate shoes!

Dan,

You're not trying to run a marathon, so I'll tell you what worked for me, when starting to run more serious for Uncle Sam (about 20 miles per week; so not serious). Asics Gel's are about the best bang for the buck. EVERY shoe manufacturer has shoes in wide sizes, so that's no longer a concern. New Balance's are great too for all around comfort.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference and feel. I would recommend you go to Road Runner Sports (website) and go from there. You're looking for something probably in the Neutral or Neutral Plus (because of weight) range, and depending on if it's strictly for workout and for what surface. Call one of their fit experts and they'll take care of you.

If you want to start running more seriously THEN worry about getting video and impact monitoring done to specifically design inserts for your shoes (which you can get done up in Fairfield).

Rich

I've run 2 marathons, a half-marathon, 2 12k's, and a few 5 k's in the past year. So here's my advice; same as some have already mentioned, go to a dedicated running store like Road Runner (Concord), Fleet Feet (Pleasant Hill), or Sports Basement (Walnut Creek). Ask them to do a gait analysis for your running stride, each store has staff that can help you with this. From your height and weight it sounds like you'll be fit into motion control shoes but if your going to run less than 7 miles at a time you may be able to get away with stability shoes. Of course fit and gait are personal here so don't get caught up by brand name just get the right shoe for you.

My top recommendation would be to go to Sports Basement, they have the best prices and pretty good staff.

I use SuperFeet insoles in all my shoes. Read the directions and follow them for the break in period.

I just purchased another pair of running shoes but I had to go to the ski department to get the SuperFeet. In talking with the boot fitter, he mentioned there is not one person who has come into his shop that could not benefit from having correct insoles.

When I bought my current running shoes I was 240 lbs. I am now 210 and find them still great for road work. They are Asics Gels model TN529. For trail running I use the New Balance 80L. Both have been great but I don't have any real issues as far as strike/pronation/stability is concerned.

Good luck, Jimmy

!!!!....Great stuff/info..!!!!!!

I settled (for starters) on the Asics Gel Nimbus 10.........These will get me going.

I oiled-my bike last night, bought a new set of swim goggles (i've been swimming regularly)......I guess i'm good to go............

Dan

There was a buzz about running shoes called Newtons (?). I read a couple articles on them sounded interesting. They were expensive.

I tried Frees but came back to my Saucony. My wife is a Asics person.

People actually love to run in Vibrum 5-Fingers. I've tried them twice and they just aren't for me.

Listen, go to a reputable running store with the ability to do the aforementioned analysis. While I normally would never disagree with Jake Di Vita, I will on this. We are not Kenyans, in our society we (most of us) grow up wearing shoes. As a result the musculature of the feet in most Americans is not as sturdy as someone who has gone barefoot thier whole life. Pounding your feet in a pair of Nike Frees is not a good idea for your feets sake.

What is a good idea is working up slowly in your mileage, no more than 10% additional mileage added in any week for a long time. Then, when you are fairly healthy and running regularly you could work in the Nike Frees at the end of runs. I would not run more than a 1/4 mile at one time the first several weeks. This will allow your feet to build up the musculature and strength needed. At some point, with the proper break in/build up of your feet, you may find that the Nike Frees are for you and that is all and well. After all the foot is designed to be barefoot, unfortunately we usually limit its strength by wearing shoes. Going all out free/barefoot can be too much strain all at once for some people.

Being an on/off again runner and with children that competed in track/cross country I can say that the whole Barefoot/Nike Free craze caused many injuries and lost races/training for adults and kids. My own daughter lost an entire Cross Country Season because of this. The above is my research and the answers I got from the Doctors who treated her. I should say that she was at 35 miles a week and free of injuries until she did the Nike Free/barefoot mile. In one slow mile cooling down she ruined her arch and her season.

I'm for the Nike Free/barefoot crowd, just know that you probably need to build your feet up very slowly over several months to avoid the inherent risks invoved with jumping straight to Nike Frees/barefoot running. IMHO

I don't see where you disagree with me at all?

I never said buy them and run a shitload of miles in them right off the bat.

I can tell you with certainty (with facts to back it up) that heel striking with padded shoes cause more injuries than just about anything else. Like anything, you need to start slow and ramp up the intensity with time.

You are right Jake, see I'm back to agreeing with you, .... "start slow and ramp up the intensity with time." It is the only thing I'm trying to suggest. Sorry If I offended, never my intention. Just don't want anyone to do what I've seen by not ramping up gradually.

I would check into POSE running if I were you.

I wouldn't run in anything other than Nike Frees (or an equivalent). The less padding you have, the better off you'll be.

POSE is going to be a tough idea for most folks, we both know that. I'm partial to Tiger Tai-Chi's.

But to get the idea across of learning to run through a progression, that's tough.

Still, it's the only way to survive for a big guy.

The funniest thing is people look for instruction for everything under the sun - but everyone just assumes they know how to run correctly. Running is a technical skill - just like shooting as a matter of fact. ;)

This is actually why I didn't mention the Nike Free or the Vibram Five Fingers. Both of these are my primary running shoes but I had to build up to them and get more technical on my running form. I overpronate a bit when I run and most of my races were done in stability shoes. After an injury caused a setback I looked to modify my form and re-examine the shoes I ran in. What I've discovered so far is that the Nike Free's somehow reduce my inclination to overpronate and cause me to land on my mid/forefoot area and not the heel. As for the Five Fingers I'm still adapting to properly running in them. I haven't measured yet but I don't think I'm achieving the necessary turnover rate for my stride. A high turnover rate and proper footstrike will reduce impact on your legs.

Very nice read! I'm going through a running set back of my own. I over pronate which caused an injury on my left foot. The Doc says it's either tendonitis or I have a stress fracture. I won't know about the fracture until the 19th of this month when he may perform a MRI. It's been a month since I ran and last night I started back slowly by only running a mile to see if the pain would come back. No pain from the mile run so I think I'll try 2 miles tonight.

I researched running styles and the POSE method looks very interesting. Right now the DOC has me running with orthotics in my running shoes.

Orthotics might not be your friend but likely technique will be. POSE takes a while to grasp but it lets your body survive. But you have to retrain, sort of like going from the FBI fast draw crouch of forever ago to the general technique used today by practical folk.

Basically the idea behind POSE is running how your body was mechanically designed to run.

For example, if you were running bare foot (since as far as I know shoes weren't factored into our genome) and you were heel striking - you wouldn't be doing it for long.

Go to Crossfit.com and check out some of their demo's when it comes to the Endurance certs and anything Brian Mackenzie has to offer.