Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw and reload- dryfire

Supermoto

I was practicing the Nuevo El Prez. He is a quick video of my draw and reload. I am trying to get rid of any wasted movements. On my reload, I am trying to slow down right before the mag well. I seem to be a lot more consistent, but with a little speed loss.

All critiques welcome

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7450124264238633397

ps... listen for the wife's sarcasm at the end <_<

It looks good. I would guess you have been working at it.

On the draw try to get you left hand to wait for the gun higher. Instead of moving your hand down to your belt tuck your elbow into your body. Make the two handed grip then push the gun out at eye level.

The outward flip that was mentioned I would guess is when he shifts his grip for the mag button.

The pause right before you seat the mag is good to do. It will shorten up after a while. It will help make sure you are lined up on the mag well. Once you see that the mag is started look for the target.

Edited by AWLAZS

I was practicing the Nuevo El Prez. He is a quick video of my draw and reload. I am trying to get rid of any wasted movements. On my reload, I am trying to slow down right before the mag well. I seem to be a lot more consistent, but with a little speed loss.

All critiques welcome

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7450124264238633397

ps... listen for the wife's sarcasm at the end <_<

Looks pretty wicked to me!! Keep up the good work!

Looks pretty good. Few things.

Check the tension and angle on the mag holder. Seems a bit "grippy". Keep the gun high. Move everything closer to your face. Your arms are still a little

straight and are dropping a bit. Eliminate vertical gun movement. Push the gun straight to the targets. You will pick up the dot faster. Be sure to toss in some

live fire drills into the mix. You have good hand speed and coordination. It's just some tweaks now.

Jim

Check the tension and angle on the mag holder. Seems a bit "grippy". Keep the gun high. Move everything closer to your face. Your arms are still a little

straight and are dropping a bit. Eliminate vertical gun movement. Push the gun straight to the targets. You will pick up the dot faster. Be sure to toss in some

live fire drills into the mix. You have good hand speed and coordination. It's just some tweaks now.

Jim

The mag tension is a little tight. Sometimes I reload to the big stock, so I keep it tight enough that it won't fall out when I run.

I tried moving everything closer to my face, I seem to get sloppy. when I try to pick up the speed, I sometimes pull the gun in, I have been trying to eliminate that.

I will try with the gun higher up.

Thanks for all the tips

It looks good. I would guess you have been working at it.

On the draw try to get you left hand to wait for the gun higher. Instead of moving your hand down to your belt tuck your elbow into your body. Make the two handed grip then push the gun out at eye level.

The outward flip that was mentioned I would guess is when he shifts his grip for the mag button.

The pause right before you seat the mag is good to do. It will shorten up after a while. It will help make sure you are lined up on the mag well. Once you see that the mag is started look for the target.

I tried keeping my left hand higher, it seems to cause my left hand to be even later to get to the gun, but I will try with tucking my elbow and getting the 2 handed grip and pushing out at eye level.

Or the last couple of month, I have been trying different things

I have been trying different way to reload and draw, different positions for the mags and holster.

Thanks for the help

Try touching some part of the gun when it's in the holster so that you have a reference for repeatability for the draw. I find that it helps to have the same part of my arm on the same part of the magwell every time for a consistent and repeatable draw. It also made it a lot easier to go from the "pump" to the "swoop" saving me a little time. YMMV

Lookin' good though.

I have had people ask me why I will shoot an array like T1,T2,T3 then make a reload and then do T3,T2,T1,. I guess the reason is that when you do your reload after shooting target 3 your hands and body is still facing target 3, so why not just leave it there do your reload and then shoot T3,T2,T1. Its just a little thing but try against the timer and see if your faster, instead of engaging T1-T3 then reloading and re-enagaging in the same order. To me it doesn't matter if I shoot right to left or right to left. its just a little less movement

Interesting.

Never filmed myself doing reloads, but I suppose I should, because they're utter rubbish.

I seem to let go of the mag body too soon, and I have a feeling it's because I'm afraid of mashing my fingers between mag and magwell. (This in spite of the fact that I have the mother of all magwells on my gun; I am still able to miss enough to mess up the entire mag change.)

I, too, have tried to keep the gun higher during the change, but it seems old habits are hard to brake, and it keeps coming back down.

.. granted; I find practising mag changes about as entertaining as .. well, something utterly boring.

So. That's probably the problem.

Back to dry practise.

Regards, Siphon

Jim

The mag tension is a little tight. Sometimes I reload to the big stock, so I keep it tight enough that it won't fall out when I run.

I tried moving everything closer to my face, I seem to get sloppy. when I try to pick up the speed, I sometimes pull the gun in, I have been trying to eliminate that.

I will try with the gun higher up.

Thanks for all the tips

New stuff feels slow and strange because we are trying. When we try we suck. Just let it happen and be aware of whats going on.

Edited by AWLAZS

Well. just got back from some live fire practice.... I wish I could say it went well.. It didn't. I reverted back to all my bad habits. Wasn't looking at the mag well or keeping the gun in one place. Felt like I was having a bad day shooting overall and tried to push my way through it.

I'll dry fire more this week and try live fire later in the week

Well. just got back from some live fire practice.... I wish I could say it went well.. It didn't. I reverted back to all my bad habits. Wasn't looking at the mag well or keeping the gun in one place. Felt like I was having a bad day shooting overall and tried to push my way through it.

Did you bring the camera?

I see the word tried in your post. You know what you need to do don't worry about the speed just let them happen.

I see the word tried in your post. You know what you need to do don't worry about the speed just let them happen.

No camera,

The problem is when I practice with one of my friends, the practice turn's into a competition. I stepped aside for a bit and shot by myself and the reloads were good, Go back to practice and fall right back into the speed trap. Might have to practice by myself tomorrow

Edited by Supermoto

No camera,

The problem is when I practice with one of my friend, the practice turn's into a competition. I stepped aside for a bit and shot by myself and the were good, Go back to practice and fall right back into the speed trap. Might have to practice by myself tomorrow

set the camera low on your left if you get back out

Hard to tell for certain because of the low camera angle and because it doesn't play back too smoothly on my `puter, but a couple of things I think I see:

1. It looks like you are dropping your head to look at the mag well. Is the gun coming down? Ideally if you could insert the magazine with the well almost on the line between the eyes and the target, the most you will have to do is flick your eyes down (without moving the head) for a microsecond to stick it, and then back to target. It will feel more like a simple focus shift with the gun superimposed directly between your eyes and the target, and you won't have to reacquire the target like you do when you move your head. You can be pivoting to the next target while you do this.

2. It looks like you are pivoting off the shoulders rather than the knees...or maybe a little of both. Pivoting from the shoulders will force you off your index, destroying the relationship that you have constructed between the target, your eyes, and the sights. This means you will have to find a new "set" on each transition, rather than just move the eyes to the target, pivot from the knees and let the gun settle and...bang. The upper body should generally move as a solid mass.

Hope this is useful.

R

I think practice is practice. Sometimes things don't go well, but don't dwell on it. I've had some horrible practice on a Friday followed by an outstanding match on Sunday. Practice is the place to push the envelope. Actual skills will catch up with that pushed envelope once in a while and it's a beautiful thing. Keep up the good dryfire work. :cheers:

If I were you I wouldn't listen to any of the bull these guys are telling you.

The problem is when I practice with one of my friends, the practice turn's into a competition. I stepped aside for a bit and shot by myself and the reloads were good, Go back to practice and fall right back into the speed trap. Might have to practice by myself tomorrow

My one lame piece of advice in relation to what you stated in the quote, is to always shoot your game.

I was able to get out and do a little live fire again. This time it went better.

these are all in a row, with the boring stuff edited out.

I was shooting at a 100yard IPSC steel, The steel plate I started on, fell after a few shots

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5240330253022968258

Feeling a little better about how the reloads are going.

In your live fire video it looks like you are not bringing the gun up and out fast enough. Most of the GM's I have seen draw explode the draw up and out in a punching motion. Your draw seems to be more of an upward swoop motion than a punching out toward the target motion. Check out the video below of Matt Burkett, Rob Leatham, and Nick Saiti doing some drills. At the 1:08 minute mark Nick is doing a drill with a surrender draw with a reload in the middle and it is absolutely SICK. The reload Nick does makes it look like his gun is sliding on a rail between his eyes and the target. It pulls straight back for the reload the straight forward after the reload. If you look at the footage enough times you can see that he is actually pumping the gun in and out twice. Once to get the mag out, then another time to get the new mag in. There is only about 2 inches of pumping and it does not look like he is losing any time. I had never seen someone break down a reload like that in two separate steps before, but it seems to work pretty darn good for him. Most people pull the gun back as the mag is being released and pick one position for the new mag to come in. Him doing it in essentially two steps shows yet another way of doing a wicked reload. At the end of the video it shows Rob and Nick doing one shot surrender draws in the .7 - .8 second range. If you watch their arm movement they are using a up and punch out motion. I have watched that video about 50 times and have picked up a LOT of good information on proper draw and reload processes from it. Can I draw or shoot like that? Hell no, but at least I know where I should be and just like G.I. Joe says "Knowing is half the battle".