Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Quad mag holder legal for Production?

Greg Q

I took two Uncle Mikes pouches used for my SIG 226 and SA XD-9 and unscrewed the belt loop off one. Then used a longer bolt to put the two together through the center bolt. With a little 2 sided tape between them, they looked like the one in your picture. They made the two inch ruling OK but I found myself sometimes pulling an extra mag out

when my finger or thumb would catch the mag base lip of the second mag. I would end up with one in my hand and

one on the ground. It's because they are so close together and have to be to make the 2" rule. I went back to the

standard method of wearing mag pouches.

With SS mags, you can have them spaced a bit farther apart for finger clearance. Personally, I think the CompTac

Belt Fed is a better solution. However they're very pricey.

Craig

Lots of folks using them with Single Stacks (SS or L10) but can't recall seeing one in another division. Best bet would be to get one and measure per the rules and see how they land.

I've seen a lot of folks with the quads for single stacks pull extra mags and end up leaving them on the ground. In once instance it meant the shooter was scrambling backward trying to find one of the dropped mags so he could finish the course. Not good but probably something that can be overcome with enough dry fire reload practice.

I have enough belt for far more mags than I could ever need for a match so I've never considered these. ;)

It depends.

The way the rulebook shows how to measure, the inner edge of the magazine is what is taken into consideration.

From the outer magazine (Glock) to the Tek-Lok (to the Tek-Lok's side nearer the torso) it is just 2". So if you used it with an inner belt I would say that it is illegal. If you didn't use an inner belt it would be legal.

I don't know how the solid loop attachment measures or if they make different pouches for the other doublestack mags.

It would be legal if you were shooting a gun that used an SS mag and used the appropriate quad pouch.

The way the rulebook shows how to measure, the inner edge of the magazine is what is taken into consideration.

From the outer magazine (Glock) to the Tek-Lok (to the Tek-Lok's side nearer the torso) it is just 2". So if you used it with an inner belt I would say that it is illegal. If you didn't use an inner belt it would be legal.

The rule reads to the "inside of the belt" - so using an inner belt would not matter.

We have a local shooter that ues a quad style pouch that has been measured multiple times and is within the measurements. He has been using it as long as I can remember in production.

Not the same carrier as the one in question here.

The rule reads to the "inside of the belt" - so using an inner belt would not matter.

Take a look at the 2008 rulebook at appendix E2 page 80. The pictures clearly shows that the width of the inner belt is being taken into account.

If you don't use the inner belt... you know some hard-core gamer is gonna use a thick inner belt to skirt the rule (if for some reason they wanted too).

We have a local shooter that ues a quad style pouch that has been measured multiple times and is within the measurements. He has been using it as long as I can remember in production.

Not the same carrier as the one in question here.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the Blade-Tech quad pouch. Whose picture appears to be what is in the OP's post.

Take a look at the 2008 rulebook at appendix E2 page 80. The pictures clearly shows that the width of the inner belt is being taken into account.

If you don't use the inner belt... you know some hard-core gamer is gonna use a thick inner belt to skirt the rule (if for some reason they wanted too).

Here's the pic...

post-400-1233237737_thumb.jpg

The mag pouch is on the outer belt. The 1-1/8 measurement is taken from the mag to the inside of the inner belt.

Later,

Chuck

I think a bigger issue is consistancy of your reload and having a second mag right there next to each other. I can see a lot of botched reloads and full mags hitting the dirt. IMO, just a bad idea regardless of the rules. Name one M or GM that uses a system like this. I don't know of one, and probably not because of the distance. I don't remember ever seeing these on a M or GM belt with a single stack either and I'm pretty sure this would make the measurement in that division.

• 3 years later...

I was reading my Front Sight, May/June 2012, page 5:

... After 12/31/12 there will be new rules on types: no magnetic retention, and each mag must have its own pouch.

What does that mean? Does it mean the Blade-Tech Quad pouch is no longer legal in Production next year?

... After 12/31/12 there will be new rules on types: no magnetic retention, and each mag must have its own pouch.

What does that mean? Does it mean the Blade-Tech Quad pouch is no longer legal in Production next year?

Nope. Just as legal as they were before (depended on distance from belt). Each mag is individually retained.

Nope. Just as legal as they were before (depended on distance from belt). Each mag is individually retained.

"Double" mag pouches (like this: http://shootersconnectionstore.com/CR-Speed-DOUBLE-Versa-Mag-Pouch-P1668.aspx) aren't affected in any way by this new rule, correct? Just that you aren't allowed to have a mag stuck to a magnet, right?