Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Holster for STI Open gun?

DMAC

I just picked up my first open handgun. I'm using Bladetech DOH for production and limited but I obviously need something different for my new Brazos ProSx.

I have a CR Speed belt and CR speed mag pounches already, so I think I'm covered there.

I've heard that Ghost makes a good holster for this gun. Before I drop $150 I thought I would see if anyone has any comments about your favorite holster for you open STI gun. Thanks!

Edited by DMAC

DMAC, give it a good search. There's been a lot of discussion on race holsters. Suffice it to say, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Your CR Speed will be just fine for starters. I switched to one from a Ghost, because I could never operate the lock on the Ghost under pressure (I'd bind it up, ruining the draw). There are other options, none of which is perfect, unfortunately. I'm pretty happy with the CR Speed, at present, but it has disadvantages, as well, so... ;) Play with it for now, and switch later if you feel the need, IMO...

DMAC, give it a good search. There's been a lot of discussion on race holsters. Suffice it to say, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Your CR Speed will be just fine for starters. I switched to one from a Ghost, because I could never operate the lock on the Ghost under pressure (I'd bind it up, ruining the draw). There are other options, none of which is perfect, unfortunately. I'm pretty happy with the CR Speed, at present, but it has disadvantages, as well, so... ;) Play with it for now, and switch later if you feel the need, IMO...

Thanks for the info. I apoligize as after reading your post I realized that I had a typo in my post. I meant to state (and I've changed it) that I have a CR Speed BELT, not a holster as I orginally stated.

Thanks for the info. I apoligize as after reading your post I realized that I had a typo in my post. I meant to state (and I've changed it) that I have a CR Speed BELT, not a holster as I orginally stated.

All pro's use use cr speed holsters..I think you will find it well suited for you.

Both are very good holsters, I have two of each!

However- I feel that the Ghost has a much better

and positive lock system that the CR! :rolleyes:

Two questions for ya... is the Ghost lock really that good compared to the CR? And how well does the Ghost holster work with a CR belt?

Thanks

I run a CR Speed for a USPSA match...BUT...

Since this is under the 3-Gun Forums, My Open Blaster holster of choice is the Center of Mass (COM) custom molded holster while shooting 3-Gun. With some gunning and then moving with the gun holstered I do not trust the CR Speed...IMHO the COM coverage, retention and protection is worth it.

Scott

Both are very good holsters, I have two of each!

However- I feel that the Ghost has a much better

and positive lock system that the CR! :rolleyes:

Two questions for ya... is the Ghost lock really that good compared to the CR? And how well does the Ghost holster work with a CR belt?

Thanks

IMO. I have had a CR and the Ghost is the only way to go (yes it fits the CR belt), BUT if you are talking 3-gun send a PM to OPENB. He has a buddy that makes a very cool open holster for 3 gun and I don't think it's big $$$.

edited for duplication.

Edited by FullRace

The lock on the Ghost is "SOOO" much more secure

than the CR. BUT I have my holsters on the AA belt

setup- holds the holsters and mags much tighter on

the belt- NO QUESTION- chek one out the next time

a shooter has one on! :roflol:

Assuming that you are a member of USPSA, previous issue of Front Sight has a good article about race holsters. Also do a search about holsters and you'll see tons of info.

FWIW I had a Safariland 012 and sold it and also have a Ghost and CR Speed but I like the Limcat the most. Never had problems in stages where I have to unlock as I draw. I've also seen shooters use it for 3-gun.

Edited by norbs007

The reason the Ghost holster is the best holster for an Open gun in USPSA is the locking mechanism. There are two way to lock the gun. Turn the lock to the upright position when walking around from stage to stage. Turn the lock in the down position for funky starts. Then use your middle finger to unlock the holster as you draw. I've seen a number of guns come out of their holsters on funky starts. One time in particular was at Nationals at PASA, the start position was seated (in a lazy boy chair). The shooter didn't lock his holster and when the muzzle hit the arm of the chair the gun came out flipping end over end until it laid to rest on the floor by his feet, DQ'd without ever firing a shot.

Get the GHOST!

The reason the Ghost holster is the best holster for an Open gun in USPSA is the locking mechanism. There are two way to lock the gun. Turn the lock to the upright position when walking around from stage to stage. Turn the lock in the down position for funky starts. Then use your middle finger to unlock the holster as you draw. I've seen a number of guns come out of their holsters on funky starts. One time in particular was at Nationals at PASA, the start position was seated (in a lazy boy chair). The shooter didn't lock his holster and when the muzzle hit the arm of the chair the gun came out flipping end over end until it laid to rest on the floor by his feet, DQ'd without ever firing a shot.

Get the GHOST!

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I know this is and old tread but I have the same question I have 2 open gun holsters Bianchi and CR and I don't really trust ether one running without holding them and that doesn't work when your holding a rifle or a shotgun I was thinking a ghost or a AA how do the locks compare on these 2.

Back from the dead.

I ended up getting the Ghost and I've been happy with it. Unfortunately, I've only shot it a couple times and I've now decided to sell my open gun, because it just sit in the safe.

I'll take pictures and post it in the classifieds soon.

I know this is and old tread but I have the same question I have 2 open gun holsters Bianchi and CR and I don't really trust ether one running without holding them and that doesn't work when your holding a rifle or a shotgun I was thinking a ghost or a AA how do the locks compare on these 2.

I have tried a few holsters and my favorite holster to date for open is the gugas ribas. The lock on it is very secure. For limited I still like a Kydex.