Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

That is a bummer, I was looking forward to attending. Now I have no reason to go to PA to visit my sister B) She will be disappointed! Any chance this could change? Probbly not bu I have to ask ;)

The Summer Blast will not be held in 2009! Sorry to those who were looking forward to the match.

Larry,

Sorry to hear this. Summer Blast was one of the best! - Hope you will have one in 2010.

Paul

The Summer Blast will not be held in 2009! Sorry to those who were looking forward to the match.

Larry,

Sorry to hear this. Summer Blast was one of the best! - Hope you will have one in 2010.

Paul

Emails will be going out from Linda soon to those of us who shot in the past.

Best of luck to you Larry!

I tried to send a message to everyone who shot Summer Blast in the last 2 years, and everyone who inquired about the 2009 match. Unfortunately, some of the email addresses are no longer valid (some of you change email addresses more frequently than you change socks :wacko: )

So I am posting the same message here (to stop the wild rumors -- not the economy -- no one is ill -- no one is mad or fighting)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have received a message from Larry Houck that informed me he has accepted

a new job which will involve moving to New Mexico.

He will no longer be able to continue with the Summer Blast pistol match.

All of the other principal administrative staff from Summer Blast are also

involved with other major matches. None of us have the time to complete our

roles plus assume the huge amount of work Larry did to make this match a

success.

2008 was our last Summer Blast match. Larry removed it from the USPSA

calendar. We are aware that this will disappoint a number of shooters, but

we would rather not continue if we cannot maintain the high standards we

have set in the past.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Summer Blast Statistician (start to finish)

A response sent back to Linda:

The end of a great legacy, many Shooters inclding myself considered the "Blast" a better match than many if not most Area matches. I hope someone or something occurs that would equate to almost divine intervention to keep the Blast alive !

Linda, thank you for all your years of thankless service.

Jon

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:57 PM

To: Jon Kushner1

Subject: Cancel Summer Blast Match

JONATHAN KUSHNER

I have received a message from Larry Houck that informed me he has accepted a new job which will involve moving to New Mexico .......................

It is a sad day for sure. But best of luck to Larry in his new job.

Oh and Linda, it really is scary how well ou seem to know some of the people we shoot with. I'd be surprised if some of them ever changed their socks. they just wash them once a month when they bathe.

Jim

It is a sad day for sure. But best of luck to Larry in his new job.

Oh and Linda, it really is scary how well ou seem to know some of the people we shoot with. I'd be surprised if some of them ever changed their socks. they just wash them once a month when they bathe.

Jim

Jim,

I thought they just waited for the Area 8 or Nationals and wash them when it rains :surprise:

Alan

Okay. I have gotten about a dozen email messages suggesting that we should look for another match director to continue Summer Blast. I am not sure how the other admin staff feel, but I think Larry is darn near irreplaceable.

Larry was a shameless, non-stop promoter of Summer Blast. Everywhere he went, every match he shot, every shooter he talked to, was an opportunity to promote Summer Blast. He never missed the chance to solicit for sponsors and recruit staff. He went all over the East coast, the Midwest, to Canada, to the USPSA Nationals and even talked about Summer Blast at 3 Gun Matches.

He surrounded himself with dedicated and competent people, and had the good sense to leave them alone. He collected a large, dedicated staff.

He is probably the most talented and creative stage designer I have ever met. And I have been to various shooting competitions & working major matches for 19 years. Larry could design a very simple looking little stage that could eat your lunch. And 5 different shooters would shoot it differently. They were stages that were not too hard for unclassified shooters at their first match, and still provided a challenge for Grandmasters.

I'd love a dime for every hour of work Larry put into Summer Blast over the last decade. I could afford a few weeks in Las Vegas (and I have very expensive taste! :devil: ).

Well, this is starting to sound too much like an eulogy. . .So, yes, I am aware Larry is not a saint. He can be impatient, profane and hard-headed. But he is still the best match director I have ever worked with and I cannot imagine anyone else acting as the Summer Blast match director.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Summer Blast Statistician

I have a lot more free time now, so if Larry decides to start a match in New Mexico, he should give me a call. :)