Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunshows

Sarge

Went to another one today. Same disappointing results. I only go since I where I work gets a free ticket once in a while. I must admit it is amazing to watch every AR-15 in the joint sell out in about an hour. But no other deals to speak of. One guy sells huge amounts of reloads and even though components have not really gone up recently his prices were up over 10% from last months show. 100 9mm 124g $21.00 plus tax $19.00 last month. Oh well, I don't buy anymore anyways.

The guy is selling 9 mm reloads for more that WalMart is selling WWB in my area.

I alwys tell people in my gun classes to NEVER buy ammo at a gun show.

"Let's see... You are buying an explosive device from a person you don't know and will probably never see again...... You will then place that device in a valuable gun .... hold it near your head and detonate it. That's not the time to find out that the reloads were made with mixed powder of three kinds by a guy who was both drunk and watching a football game while reloading"

Especially when about 50% of the time the reloads cost as much or more than factory ammo.

Edited by MichiganShootist

We had a "bang!!" at our gunshow two weeks ago. Apparently, one of the dealers had a starter pistol on his table and never checked to see if it was unloaded. The place went dead silent...except for the LEOs scrambling to get to the area.

There were people lined up outside the door two hours before the show opened. Throughout the day it took about 30 minutes to get inside once you got in line. Parking was insane. Then, there was nothing there worth buying. Prices were insane. One dealer had a pistol stolen from his table :surprise: .

My gunshow days are done.

Went to another one today. Same disappointing results. I only go since I where I work gets a free ticket once in a while. I must admit it is amazing to watch every AR-15 in the joint sell out in about an hour. But no other deals to speak of. One guy sells huge amounts of reloads and even though components have not really gone up recently his prices were up over 10% from last months show. 100 9mm 124g $21.00 plus tax $19.00 last month. Oh well, I don't buy anymore anyways.

Thanks for saving me the time and money...I too feel compelled sometimes to go to the local sharonville show...and I always regret it...that place makes me claustrophobic anyhow...

I'm still waiting to get real surplus stuff like we used to at the shows...

Supply and demand. What the heck is happening with ammo, my local Acadmey has bare shelves almost, in pistol ammo. Alum Blazer for $11.00 a box for 9mm? Ughhh.

Iwas in the Cabellas store in Buda a couple of weeks ago and there was a guy with a shopping cart putting almost all the 9mm in his basket. He left the 147gr and the S&B. Should have asked him why.

I was at a huge gun show in the late 70s or early 80s at the Houston Astro-dome. Something like 2,000 tables and the place was packed.

A 5 - 8 shot burst of full auto through the domed ceiling really made the day exciting. Many dove for the floor others drew guns it was damn scary. That may have been the last show there where they allowed ammo sales.

Why anyone qho shoots USPSA still goes to gunshows is beyond me .............. :huh:

Because every once in awhile, you run into a good deal: I picked up a Glock 35 with Dawson adjustable rear, f/o front, large magwell, Ti striker (I think), and a couple mags for $400. B)

I have to say this again on this forum_

Listen :angry2: WE ARE DOING THIS TO OURSELF-

"NO" I repeat "NO LAWS HAVE CHANGED" its us

the shooting people that have created this insane

buying of everything we can find! I lived this as an

FFL in MA when the B Bill went into effect! My AR15

that was selling for $600.00 went to $1,200.00 over

night! As a DLR I was almost unable to find primers-

WSP and WSR as well as all reloading items. WE are

doing it - not the USGOVT - YET! Slow down. :surprise:

Please don't be :wacko:

"CLOSED"

^^^ Besides that, at a 4 dollar to an 8 dollar entrance fee, just being able to do some people watching and eavesdropping in on some of the conversations between gun "dealers" and the "gun amateurs"/prospective buyers is entertainment in itself. In most cases it's way more entertainment bang for your buck than say going to the movies.

:roflol:

On the flipside though, there are some gunshows where I know I am just going to run into some annoying people.

:angry2:

And then there was the one time I was literally followed around by a local gunstore employee. At the 3 reloading component suppliers I talked with, my "shadow" hung onto every word I said . That was real, freakin' annoying.

:angry2:

I should have gone to the bathroom to see if he would have followed me into the can... or on second thought... maybe NOT.... :unsure:

I don't go to those gunshows anymore.

My one local gun club/range has a dealer's account through Graf's. I have more than made my money back on the $35/year membership fee versus if I had to buy retail...at a gunshow.... :surprise:

I have to say this again on this forum_

Listen :angry2: WE ARE DOING THIS TO OURSELF-

"NO" I repeat "NO LAWS HAVE CHANGED" its us

the shooting people that have created this insane

buying of everything we can find! I lived this as an

FFL in MA when the B Bill went into effect! My AR15

that was selling for $600.00 went to $1,200.00 over

night! As a DLR I was almost unable to find primers-

WSP and WSR as well as all reloading items. WE are

doing it - not the USGOVT - YET! Slow down. :surprise:

Please don't be :wacko:

"CLOSED"

Uh, I dont think you can CLOSE someone elses thread. <_< ..... could be wrong, who knows.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I went to the one in Phoenix this weekend. Met some good people, met some dweebs.

I wanted to sell a rifle and had a lot of lookers. I was cheaper than guys at 90 % of the tables but there was too much work done to the rifle so people left it alone. Next time I'll bring it without the scope and excessories on it.

Found an old woman at one table that was about to pass out. I asked to help her and fortunately one other guy also helped.

We needed security to get her medical attention and here are all these people but no one would go to find security so off I go hobbling along with my cane in one hand and rifle in the other screaming for security. Lots of people thought it was a joke and put up theie hands to surrender but no one would tell me where security was. I figured people with tables should have a way to contact them..... NOPE.

Finally when I left the building someone pointed me in the right direction. Two tables from where this poor old lady was.

I had to hobble back, yell at the top of my lungs for the girl to pay attentiion to me and finally they took care of her.

At least the people thanked me.

Remember when gunshows were fun, friendly and enjoyable. I guess people are just too interested in making a buck and avoiding anyone else around them.

Sorry for the rant

I just went to a gun show in Orlando after not going for many years. The prices were nuts, and varied. There was little rhyme or reason to what they were charging. Pistols that should sell new for 400 were going for 600 used. The next table over they were selling for the correct market price, 400.

Lots of people who knew little of weapons, other than they had to buy.