Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds to chrono your ammo?

thefiremeister

How many rounds do you get to shoot when you chrono your ammo at a match?

I've just shot local matches and we have not chronoed our ammo at our matches. I'm thinking about going to a regional match and need to know how many shots it takes to get your ammo to pass.

I'm assuming a number of shots are averaged to get a power factor.

Match staff shoot your ammo over the chrono with your gun. They also weigh bullets so a power factor is determined. They collect five rounds usually and weigh two and shoot three. You need to know your PF before a match.

Jim

The Rule book covers it very good in Appendix C2 pages 65 -on If you don't have a rule book it is available on line as USPSA.org

the quick reply is -8 - Measure one for weight, & shoot three for speed (the)left over rounds in case you need to shoot them to bring up the average speed -OR- you can ask to measure one of them for weight

Edited by AlamoShooter

Keep in mind that weather has something to do with it. Not that I would know...but I knew a guy who chrono'ed in Florida and found out that Barry Illinois is slightly colder, and things move slower...enough to make a difference.

Keep in mind that weather has something to do with it. Not that I would know...but I knew a guy who chrono'ed in Florida and found out that Barry Illinois is slightly colder, and things move slower...enough to make a difference.

Some powders are reverse sensitive, and you get hotter when it is colder outside. You have to know the powder.

Edited by cnote

Thanks for the info. I'm working on some loads right now and I'm getting an average of 167 from 6 rounds.

My spread is about 55fps with once shot brass. I'll have to bump it up a bit.

Thanks again.

Depending on your SD (standard deviation) you probably want to get your average up to around 170 to cover temperature differences, match chronographs and such. If you have a high SD, you may want to look at a powder that meters a little more consistently.

Bill

I usually shoot 10 rounds to check for power factor before a match. All 10 rounds must be above power factor. It usually averages 170-171. @ around 60*F-68*F.

Edit to add temp:

BK

Edited by bkeeler

I always shoot ten over the chrono to get my PF. I reccord the temp with the data in my book. I will try to test several times, both on hot and cold days to verify consistency. I never shoot through a clean gun, because I never take a gun to a major match that hasn't been shot after cleaning.

I'll shoot batches of 10 in ladders to find a target load. The goal is 170 PF, and no single round under 165. When I have a load that meets that, I use it. When loading ammo for a major match, I'll load up 500 or so, then randomly sample 10 rounds from the batch, and chrono those in the same fashion. If I don't meet expectations, I just loaded up 500 rounds of practice ammo, and I start over ;) Repeat as required...

Like some others, I try to chrono my working load in various weather conditions, as time permits, so that I can understand what to expect out of it in hot or cold climates, etc...

At the actual match they pull 8 rounds, as has been noted.

When I'm getting ready for a match I'll shoot at least 10 rounds randomly drawn from a batch. If that gets me an average over 170pf I'll then load a bunch more and chrono them a couple of other times under different conditions to see what happens.

My current load has done 172-173pf at three different major matches before and after Nationals. All were loaded with the same everything....same lot of brass, same lot of primers, powder and bullets. No changes were made to the press at all. At Nationals I went 166.1pf :surprise:

Edited by G-ManBart