Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What cheap scope for under $300?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I did a search but most of the info is old. I was wondering what scope you guys like that is under $300 price range. I have a Weaver V3 1-3 now. I was just looking for something a little diffferent or just may use the same thing on my AR-15 build. Let me know what is out there that you are using for 3-gun. Thanks, Eric

Leapers ( found in Cheaper Than Dirt) make some real "kick a$$" scopes for around $79.95, one even looks like a TA-01 and if you read the discriptions for the rest of the scopes they make you wonder why ANYONE would waste his money on a "quality" optic ever. KurtM

Leapers ( found in Cheaper Than Dirt) make some real "kick a$$" scopes for around $79.95, one even looks like a TA-01 and if you read the discriptions for the rest of the scopes they make you wonder why ANYONE would waste his money on a "quality" optic ever. KurtM

I got one of those in a trade once, now sits in a drawer somewhere. I really didn't enjoy looking at what appears to be a piece of metal inside the field of view. Appears to be a piece of machined thread.

For under $300.00... Hmmm......

Might try a tomato soup can with the bottom cut out.

Quick target acquisition and great field of view. :devil:

:roflol:

Ask Mike how he liked his scope falling off during the match

Edited by AlamoShooter

The Millett DMS-1 is ok glass.... little fuzzy in the edges - and reticle is ok... wish the illum was brighter. But for $200 pretty nice.

Best buy is probably the Weaver V3, for clarity, etc.

Maybe you can find a used 1.5-5 Leupold somewhere under $300.

Moving up from there.... now you're talking money. $600, $700, $800, $1000, or more - the Meopta K-dot, Burris XTR, Tijicon TR21 or ACOG, IOR with CQB reticle , S&B Short Dot, Leupold CQ/T..... but the guys who are more of a glass snob than I am (no disrespect, I mean those who appreciate and can afford nice (read expensive) glass) won't shoot anything else.

A rule of thumb some people use is it to spend as much on your optic as you do the rifle it goes on. I'm not quite there yet... (but getting close on my .308 bolt gun!)

If the new version Burris XTR 1-4 with the 5.56 reticle is going to have a true bright and daylight visible illum as they say, if I ever sell my Millett that is probably what I will spend my $ on. I just like that reticle design, and it should be what, under $600?

With a budget of $300, you are pretty limited. Millet DMS-1 with a YHM extended riser rail and a set of Millet or Burris med height rings will put you right at the $300 mark. It is not a bad deal. It's far from top of the line, but it's about the best value going these days for a usable scope that will hold up. I'm more than happy with mine.

Hello: I have also heard the saying I would rather put a $800 scope on a $300 rifle. I also know that new stuff is coming out all the time that is better,faster etc. I just thought of getting an inexpensive scope first then I could upgrade later. Keep the great info coming since I know it will help others as well. Thanks, Eric

Go ask Benny Hill, in Corpus, to look at a couple of his Simmons Pro Diamond's.

Other than that, just buy once and cry once.

Rich

I cryed when I spent $550 for my 6.5 -20 luepold 13+ years ago for my team Challenge gun. That scope is still going stong after 13 nationals. and all the practice to get ready.

I have a Tasco 6-18 and a 6-24 I would be happy to loan you Or a Bushnell 4-12 all three are better than Toamato soup

use one of my scope/ dust colectors untill your budget opens up

:sight: Warning ! Warning This is "Sarcasm"

Hello: What would a iron sight guy (KurtM) know about scopes :roflol: I did have a Simmons Pro Diamond the old style one and prefer the Weaver to tell the truth. I have a C-more as well for our Carbine matches. I know Benny very well and he likes the big dollar scopes. I have looked through some of those scopes and they are great but I don't use my rifles enough to buy one. OK, I'm cheap. :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I just said I don't have a use for them...I never said I don't know how to use one! (won SMM3G once with an ACOG TA-11)

Besides IF you read the adds in the Ceaper Than Dirt...how can you go wrong with "Crystal Clear veiw", Sharp aimnig point to HIT THE MARK" "Bright Illumination!! 50% off??? That means you could get a $600.00 scope for the price you are looking for! :roflol: Kuert Molltr

Go ahead and spend $2,000.00 - $200.00 at a time..... You have tasted the Meopta Kool Aid and you will end up with a good scope. Don't fight it..... Buy a good one.

<_< That is exactly why I have 3 scopes I am willing to loan out, The other one or two I unscrewed the ends into separate piece's so no one would have to suffer with them. Even just the cost of wasted 22 ammo is too much to spend on the drifting reticle

About a month ago I was at the range and one of the club members had a 1.5X4 Nikon scope mounted on a JP rifle. As we all know Nikon makes really good camera's and lenses. This guy let me put a mag through the gun and I was really impressed with the scope. It didn't have all the bells and whistles that a $800-$1200 scope has but for less than $300 you got a lot of scope for your money, and for someone without designs of competiting at the very highest level of the sport it was more than enough to be competitive. YMMV.