Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Shot Show News for Tanfoglio Shooters

sinnsyk

First of all, had a great show and accomplished everything I wanted.

Stock II will be imported into the US in 2009 !! (Large frame, but read good news about mags below..)

A new magazine-body for 9mm, 38 super and 40 S&W is in the works from the factory. They are re-doing the upper top to ensure the 1st and 2nd round doesn't create a "gap" which causes nose-dive issues.

We had a talk with LPA who makes the rear sight for Limited. All issues with pins walking, front blade breaking and coming loose were conveyed. The newest model they make has the elevation spring located on the blade-side of the elevation screw which puts more upward tension and may also prevent the elevation screw from coming loose. The factory have some of these new sights and will send them to me. How good they are, I don't know. There are a lot of inventory in the system so it will be impossible for me to say what sight you'll be getting with a new gun.

I am going forward with my own rear sights which I still believe will be of a higher quality and have less chances of problems during competition. Plus I will offer more choices, including a fiber rear sight, dog earred sights etc. I will attack the Limited "Supersight" first, but then move on to the Match "Novak" sight. I'll work on it this month and probably have the first sights available in March is my goal.

The factory have had problems with the V12 because of the current barrel unlocking geometry. The factory have been working on many different solutions and talking to them on Friday, given good results from their testing, a changed geometry in the barrel lower lug will be ready at the end of the month. For those waiting on replacement barrels or uppers, remember they still have to be shipped from the factory to the US. From the sound of it, I am hoping replacements/repairs will be handled by end of February.

On my own, I am working on a gunsmith-fit barrel replacement for the V8 models. The V8 doesn't have the same problems the 2008 models of the V12 have had. But, a gunsmith-fitted barrel will offer what these guns deserve. And it will offer choices in compensators. My barrel will fit the cone long slides which are used in Gold Team V8's and Limited pistols. It will be a short-chambered 9mm barrel so either 9x19, 9x21, 9x23 or 38 super can be chambered using this barrel. It will be over-sized, not drop-in, so a knowledgable gunsmith like Canyon Creek (Rich Dettelhouser) need to install it. The first barrel offered will be a threaded, cone-barrel so you can fit a 1911-style comp to your gun. It will have .575x40tpi thread. A custom comp can easily be made up to your own design or start with a 1911 blank comp etc. I suggest using a titanium comp to reduce the weight which also helps the barrel system on these guns. One custom titanium comp system is already been made for the Tanfoglio V8 and being used in Arizona today. Once I get these barrels I will have Rich replace the barrels in both of my open guns and put a Henning 4 port comp on them. Rich makes these based on my design.

New products will be added to the store shortly like custom thumb rests and water-proof notepads which will be great for range use. I often hesitate to bring my notepad to the range because it often gets ruined because of humidity or light rain. We found the perfect solution for it.

I was able to have a very good meeting with EAA and the factory. We have more to discuss, but there may be some very interesting news shortly. That's all I can say for now until we got things figured out, but my relationship with EAA and Tanfoglio is very good and some very good things is about to come of it. Stay tuned.

thanks for all the work getting all the "fixes" and new "wants" for the Tanfo stuff..It sure is nice to have someone working to help the retail users.

One other question..since i upgraded to a new Limited my XD t shirts just got grabbed up by the kids who now are using my old gun (XD)..anyplace i can get some cool t shirts or other stuff?????

Hi Henning,

Did you also manage to discuss clarification of the large frame mag pad issues for the Stock II?

BTW: Finished my first match with the Stock II yesterday :D - the large frame version worked perfectly without any reliability hitches with the standard (non-rail) mags and the 15 lbs mainspring worked well without any misfires. Maybe I'll risk fitting the 14 lbs spring sometime........

Bianchi

If you made a barrel with an integral compensator (ie, no screw thread, like the TRUBOR) then EAA would be able to sell the open gun in California if they fitted that barrel/comp to the gun before shipping to the FFL.

Of course they would have to pass the other requirements of that state but that should be easy enough.

So, for us n00bs, what's V8 vs V12? Small frame vs. large frame?

The V8, in the US at least, is the older longslide Open gun. The V12 (besides having more ports) is a shorter slide model. Both are large frame pistols. Good to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel on the V12 issues.

edited to add...... humidity? light rain??? Oh yeah, I see that on TV.

Edited by Neomet

"A new magazine-body for 9mm, 38 super and 40 S&W is in the works from the factory. They are re-doing the upper top to ensure the 1st and 2nd round doesn't create a "gap" which causes nose-dive issues."

so is this what the factory hopes will cure high capacity mag feeding problems in 9mm?

umm waterproof notepads? I've been using one for about 10 years (not the same one obviously) they are the military style ones. Using the write anywhere "space" pens.

looking forward to more info on the large frame Stock IIs. also looking forward to the fix on the mags, 9mm major looking even better if the mags work 100%.

pics of course would be awesome dude.

"Wallgrens Prescription" t-shirts are the currently available shirt here: http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/apparel.html. That shirt has been getting quite a few comments. Seriously most people think it's Walgreens and are shocked to see them on the range. Pretty fun to wear. I've also been offered discounts at the Walgreens stores. Guess it's getting the attention it was created to do, he he.

I hope to make a shooting shirt with EAA or Tanfoglio soon. I'm working out some details with both which should open the possibilities for cool clothing.

V8 and V12's are both available in large or small frames. Small frame 9x19 open guns in either V8 or V12 is almost exclusively found in Italy and somewhat spread in other countries. But the modern small frame V8 or V12 are not available in the US. The V8 was named after it's V-angled porting and 8 ports in the barrel. The V12 has a similar V8 in the barrel and additional V4 in the comp. A little known fact is that the V-hybrid for Tanfoglio is something that myself and my buddy Eddie were cooking up over beer on a piece of paper after the 1998 European Championships. I ended up making a V12 ported slide in 1998-9 for myself that I never finished. But the idea was passed along to the factory and many years later it suddenly re-appeared as Eric's design. Imagine that, ha ha.

The magazine bodies upper halves are completely re-designed, meaning they have changed the angles to ensure proper support of the top round. This is a typical problem if you do not follow mine and others guidelines posted in these forums. EGW undersized dies, new brass, resizing using gizmo or casepro are some of the key words. If you can't find it, just contact me through my website: henningshootsguns.com.

9mm large frame mags have been a problem for most. Some seem to not have much issues with them, but the majority are suffering from nosedives if you load your mags over 12 rounds. The new mags are said to have a spacer in the back of the magazine which will put the 9mm round to the front and it should help. Factory says new magbodies are ready end of this month and we'll hopefully see them delivered in a few months. I had a serious talk with the factory and eaa about these issues at last years shot show and even though it took a year it seems as it's paid off. Given the mags are working right, it may put the Tanfoglio 9mm on the map big time.

Not sure when Stock II will be coming in, but a rough guess; March maybe?

According to the factory, only the plastic pads are legal for production. But it'll be a question for Vince. Production seems to be highly confusing to what is and is not legal. If anyone has his email, please give it to me and I'll write him an email with all possible pad solutions to figure out what can be used.

The waterproof pads were invented in 1920's and been growing in popularity because of the military. It may be the same ones, but you can use regular lead pencils even under water.

I thought about and discussed making a Trubor barrel, but...

1) the cost of this would of course be much higher to make

2) california will still require drop testing etc so newer EAA's are still illegal

3) comp design will be limited to the one comp I design and why limit ourselves

4) a threaded barrel can also be cut to be used for other purposes

After the first barrel is made I will go onto making a 40/10 barrel if the demand is there. Currently I'd like to put a 40S&W barrel in my Hunter and have an oversized barrel alternative to factory. However the factory 40 bull barrels kick ass so I'm not sure if the need is as high as fitting a 38super or 9mm barrel in our open guns. A correctly fitted barrel is key and having a fast solution over waiting on a factory fix like we're doing right now. I may make a standard length barrel as well which is what the V12 / Stock, Stock II uses. Personally I like the recoil of the V8 long slide better and I'm waiting to see the outcome of the factory's barrel re-design. Before investing in two different custom barrel lengths I'd like to see if the short V12 will take over from the longer V8 slide design. We'll know this soon.

At the Orlando airport typing this. I've got some serious packing to do when I get home. Heading overseas on Wednesday for a quick trip to Norway. Teaching a class over there, helping my mom with wood flooring, meeting up with my buddies in Oslo. We'll be at "Palace Grill" in downtown Oslo on Friday night having a few pilsners.. Supposedly they have snow and cold weather right now. Quite the change from the sunny shorts weather we had at Cocoa Beach, Florida yesterday.

yup rubber pads (Tanfoglio ones) are legal in PD. loooong discussion in Bali, after it was already okayed by Vince before the trip.

the notepad I use is the Rite in the Rain pad www.riteintherain.com I'd use a pencil but I always break them. funny story I always here is how the US spent millions of dollars developing the space pen, only to arrive at the Space Station one time to see Russians using pencils. I also find pencils smudge. the pens only cost about $10 and last forever (I lose them before they run out of ink).

was there any news on long firing pins or hammers and sears from the factory for us poor Production guys?

Rob,

So after talking with Vince, only metal plates and rubber pads glued on are legal? The small frame aluminium, even if they are not hollow are not allowed?

btw i'm sending your package today. Priority will make it there on Thursday, or do you want Express?

yup rubber pads (Tanfoglio ones) are legal in PD. loooong discussion in Bali, after it was already okayed by Vince before the trip.

the notepad I use is the Rite in the Rain pad www.riteintherain.com I'd use a pencil but I always break them. funny story I always here is how the US spent millions of dollars developing the space pen, only to arrive at the Space Station one time to see Russians using pencils. I also find pencils smudge. the pens only cost about $10 and last forever (I lose them before they run out of ink).

was there any news on long firing pins or hammers and sears from the factory for us poor Production guys?

Hey Rob, you should try one of these before you ditch the pencil idea completely. These are what I consider to be pretty much the Aston Martin of pencils: http://www.amazon.com/DRAFT-MATIC-MECH-PEN...3420&sr=1-5

I've used pencils like these exclusively for 25 years in storyboard drawing and anything else I draw including hi-detail portraits or scenery..or whatever. Always sharp, never freeze and with B or 2B hi polymer leads they don't smudge (unless you really work at it). But you can erase spelling mistakes...which is good for someone like me.

Ok, nerd mode off now.

Rob,

So after talking with Vince, only metal plates and rubber pads glued on are legal? The small frame aluminium, even if they are not hollow are not allowed?

btw i'm sending your package today. Priority will make it there on Thursday, or do you want Express?

plastic pads are legal for IPSC as well. The aluminum pad featured on Vinces post on IPSC Forum are of the magwell pad,...the ones I have can not be used with a magwell. It was offered by the OEM. I am pretty sure this is accurate.

If you made a barrel with an integral compensator (ie, no screw thread, like the TRUBOR) then EAA would be able to sell the open gun in California if they fitted that barrel/comp to the gun before shipping to the FFL.

Of course they would have to pass the other requirements of that state but that should be easy enough.

Easy enough? To get new guns added to the list of approved guns, they need to have BOTH a loaded chamber indicator AND a mag safety/disconnect AND pass a drop and function test.

Don't think we'll see any new Tanfoglios in CA any time soon... :/

Easy enough? To get new guns added to the list of approved guns, they need to have BOTH a loaded chamber indicator AND a mag safety/disconnect AND pass a drop and function test.

Don't think we'll see any new Tanfoglios in CA any time soon... :/

Imagine if EAA gets thru in California, its definitely something to look into and

California is a big market!!

Henning,...if you were thinking about a mag pad for the production gun...I thought of something....perhaps a textured mag pad base (aluminum). ie; I like the aluminum, but found it a little slippery once in while for the production base pad. I see guys putting grip tape on the bottom of there mags (various standard/open guns). Just a thought. Maybe Tanfoglio would be interested in this....!?!?

Edited by Mo Hepworth

textured baseplates would rock, except they'd be beat to shit in about 3 practice sessions. grip tape on the bottom would be better, and replacable.

R.Elliot, I used to use a similar pencil. but again, losing the lead, it breaking or jamming through the paper convinced me to use the pens I use, which I just noticed are from the same company as the notepad, www.riteintherain.com you can write straighht through grease with these things.