Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger's new 38 (think J-frame)

Flexmoney

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I see it now... its buried down in the text... you'd have thought they'd have made that a little more obvious... :lol:

My SP-101 has been pretty great - its not a great carry gun, as it just doesn't play any particular role well. But its accurate, handles hot stuff with ease (in fact, it likes hotter loads better), is reasonable on the recoil, and is tough as nails. Its not refined like a Smith, but it gets the job done quite well. If the LCR is build like that, it'll be one to look at, especially at that price.... You can probably get the model w/ the Crimson Trace grips for the same price as a regular Airweight Smith...

I have toyed with the idea of Smiths little 357 mag at something like 13oz for a long time now. Will have to see the two side by side. That being said, Ruger will of had to really hit a home run with the new "cammed" trigger in order sell me one. I used to love my Ruger revolver till I started shooting the Smiths in competition and found out how great there triggers can be.

Are they already at the store? I just read a big article in Rugers catalog about how they ship the guns on the same day of there press release.

41mag

how did you get it to weigh that much???

my all metal S&W J weighs like two ounces less.

It weighs 2oz less than the equivalent S&W - it has a stainless cylinder, similar to, say, a 438. Its the same weight as a 360, effectively.

As per the link above: $525. With Crimson Trace: $792

Which is MSRP, of course ;) MSRP for the 438 is $624 w/ no CT grip... The 360 MSRPs for $900 or so, again with no CT grip...

It sounds like their trigger might feel completely foreign to those that are used to S&W Revos.

Is that good, bad or just different?

Probably just different. Triggers on S&W J-frames are nothing to write home about anyway. Who cares though, it's a belly gun, right?

I handled one at SHOT yesterday.

They can have them.

That bad, eh? What didn't you like about 'em?

Other than the look and feel of them nothing to major.

The trigger is a small frame trigger and a Ruger. <_<

They look like crap they really do. But that is my opinion.

But I like small frame Smiths. First gun I ever shot when i was 3 was a j frame Smith.

That jaundiced me towards them at an early age.

I like Rugers single actions have several but not a big fan of their DA's

Innovation is good and I look forward to handle one of these. But I tend to agree with DP40 on this one. I would've expected this plastic fantastic to be in the 8-9 oz weight range. I went in the S&W website to check some J-frame weights:

340 - 13.3 oz

351 - 10.6 oz

360 - 12.0 oz

and the heavyweight of them all, the one I carry

642 - 15.0 oz

The little Ruger's saving grace would be cost, $ per oz. If it's HALF of some of the smith's I listed it would be worth to look at.

VRMN, how does it compare in size to the J-frames?

Ruger's new revolver is heavy??? Who would a thunk it? This new revolver may be a little heavy compared to some of the other super lightweight guns, but what's going to happen now that some has released a plastic revolver? How much weight can Smith shave off their guns? I agree this is a butt ugly revolver, but compared to Ruger's other small revolver it is very light. I think it may be a good start.

The little Ruger's saving grace would be cost, $ per oz. If it's HALF of some of the smith's I listed it would be worth to look at.

Bingo. If the thing works right, it might just be affordable enough to have one for each front pocket! :D