Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eleven Below Zero

MichiganShootist

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a youngster, yeah I know a long,long time ago, I lived in Lansing, Michigan for a year or so. I remember the damn snow so deep it was over my head and the nasty slush on the road walking to school. By far the coldest place I ever lived. Never again.

When I went to work this morning it was 20 below zero in St. Paul, Minnesota

It's really bad when you go outside and doesn't feel too bad. Some how you start to get used to it. I think we've had 60+ hours straight of below zero and it's not getting above zero until Friday.

deep dark cold like minus 10 has a way of sapping your energy.

I recall shoveling snow in minus 5 ish weather.

I was exhausted and went to bed early.

Muscles were not tired from the snow throwing,

I recall feeling very hungry the next morning.

like extremely hot, the deep cold requires a little getting used to.

miranda

My buddy CSEMARTIN said it was -23 on the outside thermometer in his truck on the way home for work in Iowa yesterday.

Where in the Hell is Al Gore while all this is going on!!!!!!!!!!

That's right!! It is really cold in Iowa right now. The good news is people are staying indoors so I'm not too busy with car accidents!! :cheers:

As a youngster, yeah I know a long,long time ago, I lived in Lansing, Michigan for a year or so. I remember the damn snow so deep it was over my head and the nasty slush on the road walking to school. By far the coldest place I ever lived. Never again.

Pussy.

Last weekend it was 10 below when we headed out on a 100+ Mile snowmobile trip in Groton VT, at 60mph

the wind chill is about -48 which calculates out to about 5min. for frost bite. Had a small gap in my neck gear

and still have some skin healing from the experience!! Going to try my first real winter match this weekend.

It's supposed to be a high of 20 and snowing so should feel good after the recent below zero weather (-15 last night)

OK guys, I am here in sunny North Carolina and tonight it will drop down to 9 degrees. :surprise: Now that may not impress you seasoned from the up north but here it is Ball Shriveling cold. Barrettone you can go ahead and call me a pussy, I am prepared for it. I like cold weather but this is a little colder than I prefer. I like to be able to do whatever outside regardless of the temp, but it is so cold I cant do anything outside for any length of time. I am going to go and shoot a match tommorrow and it is supposed to get up to 34-37 by 2oclock. But we will be thru shooting I fear by 12. I dont have the layers of clothes to stay warm so I had to go to target and buy some thermals tonight. Anyway, cold weather is not what it is cracked up to be and I will be glad when the warmer temps come back and get us back up into the 50's.

If all ya'll who live up there in snow/ice/freezing cold places dislike the snow/ice/freezing cold.... The question begs to be asked: Why do you still live there? the world is a big place.... :unsure:

I often ask myself the same question.

Low cost of living has nothing to do with Minnesota. We have the 3rd highest taxes in the Nation. We must live here because we're not bright enough to get out...

Low cost of living has nothing to do with Minnesota. We have the 3rd highest taxes in the Nation. We must live here because we're not bright enough to get out...

I was born in Mn, I agree your not bright enough to get out! (Al Frankin is proof) I got out, the problem is I'm still dumb enough to move to Iowa. -31 on the way to work sucks.........Damn Global Warming.

img00218ik7.th.jpg

Edited by rupie

I remember when I was in high school in the late 80's. The temp dropped to -65 actual. North west Colorado gets rather cold at times. They closed school for the first time in 35 years. My own mother said "they never closed school for us". I had to use a propane space heater to warm up the motor so my snowmachine would start. cars wouldn't start. It was a mess.I think it stayed below zero for a few weeks. I talked to my sister last week, she said it was -26 when she put the kids on the bus for school. Makes me wonder what it's like to live there. So much for Global Warming! Don't run out and buy your carbon credits just yet!

Sign outside Big Piney Wyoming "Refridgerator of the Nation" We are amny times the coldest spot in the U.S. and the includes the "Upper One" Alaska. been mild this year so far only -34 for 2 days, Usually good for -40 for a week or so, But take heart I am in the Oil and Gas industries so we are doing our part to erradicate cold weather :roflol:

Why do you still live there?

Reasons:

1)Family

2)Friends

3)Low cost of living

4)When I started interviewing for a job, I whored myself out to the highest bidder--Iowa won!

5)We like to complain about the cold.

1)Call or email your family. (while wearing shorts)

2)Texas is a friendly place, make new ones here. (while wearing shorts)

3)doesn't cost much to live here, gas is cheap too. (so are the shorts)

4)lotsa jobs here..... (I wear shorts to work)

5)make fun of the guys who are freezing their asses off (while wearing shorts)

Guys were shooting the TX State Carbine Champ this weekend in shorts. While the sun was shining. Do ya'll even remember what the sun looks like? I heard ya'll have two seasons up there: winter and the 4th of July. :wacko:

It always amuses me how a person's background and experience influences their weather likes and dislikes. I grew up around Detroit, and lived for 4 or 5 years in the Upper Peninsula before moving to Texas.

I loved winter in northern Michigan, but that was before I knew better. Don't know if I'd like it anymore, at least not everday for 9 months.

A co-worker who has lived in Houston, Austin and San Diego was actually, seriously, warning me about traveling recently because "its supposed to go down to 30 degrees tonight". Really.