Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Long Slide

steveyacht

Other than a slightly longer barrel, what are the other differences between a Glock 34 and a Glock 17 Long Slide? I am considering getting one for production class. I know about the better trigger and extended slide and mag releases. but other than that, I am thinking that is about.

By the way, are all Glock 9mm high capacity magazines the same? (other than capacity and drop free of course)

hardly ever see the 17L or 24s in GSSF either. only 2 classes they're legal for in GSSF and ones a master class and only master i can think of that shoots one is allen kelly.

hardly ever see the 17L or 24s in GSSF either. only 2 classes they're legal for in GSSF and ones a master class and only master i can think of that shoots one is allen kelly.

They are legal for competition and unlimited division in GSSF.

They are legal for limited in USPSA.

They are great for steel.

The only difference between the 17, 34, and the 17L is the barrel/slide length.

The 17L is ALSO "Legal" for GSSF "Indoor" Matches, where ALL "Stock" Glocks compete against each other without regard to barrel/slide length...For my "Older" eyes, the added sight radius REALLY helps...I picked up about five points, on average, going from the G-17 to the 17L...FWIW....mikey357

steveyacht,

You've been beating around the forum pretty hard trying to figure all this stuff out.

Let me just tell you what to buy. It may not be perfect. Others may like different stuff. It will be damn good for the tasks at hand. And, if you hate it...there is a ready market to sell it and not take a bath.

For IDPA (Stock Service Pistol division) and USPSA (Production division)...

- Glock 34

- Sevigny (Warren) sights.

- Tru-grip grip tape

- get rid of the extended slide stop/release and replace it with the stock size.

- new Blade-tech DOH (dropped and off-set) for USPSA, and get the Stingray belt attachment (for IDPA)

- 5-6 hicap 9mm mags (G17 and G34 mags are the same)

- 2 of the Blade-tech double mag pouches (any brand will do, you can just buy these in a package with the holster though)

steveyacht,

You've been beating around the forum pretty hard trying to figure all this stuff out.

Let me just tell you what to buy. It may not be perfect. Others may like different stuff. It will be damn good for the tasks at hand. And, if you hate it...there is a ready market to sell it and not take a bath.

For IDPA (Stock Service Pistol division) and USPSA (Production division)...

- Glock 34

- Sevigny (Warren) sights.

- Tru-grip grip tape

- get rid of the extended slide stop/release and replace it with the stock size.

- new Blade-tech DOH (dropped and off-set) for USPSA, and get the Stingray belt attachment (for IDPA)

- 5-6 hicap 9mm mags (G17 and G34 mags are the same)

- 2 of the Blade-tech double mag pouches (any brand will do, you can just buy these in a package with the holster though)

I hope that my questions on the forum are not aggravating anyone.

That said, as a result of my questions, I have had one friend buy a Glock 34 "package"(set up like you desecribed) from one of our fellow forum members and another buy a Glock 17 Long Slide yesterday, while another purchased a Dan Wesson Patriot. These are three female shooters that are new to organized competition events such as USPSA, Steel Challenge and soon to be introduced to Three Gun.

For better or worse I am their mentor, the guy they depend on for advice and minor gunsmithing. Since I am fairly new to "plastic fantastic" guns even though I have mediocre experience with 1911's, S&Ws, Target Shotguns as well as being a collector of single and SxS barrel shotguns (ca 1880-1930) I am still learning the "new stuff".

Now it is my turn to get a 9mm (ammo cheaper in bulk) as I already have a pretty decent 45acp set up. All I have to do first is to sell or trade my Para for a G17 or G34. Hope that explains.

• 2 weeks later...

on glock talk i did a post about the glock 17.l being a better weapon for a large sized person i can carry the 17.l on right hip and keep in a ccw carry for personal protection carry..

there is only about a 1/2.inch diffence between the two models ..if i am reading the specs right on them

Steve:

My dad has a 17L and loves it to death. It is a really nice piece. It is not a production gun but my dad shoots it for Limited MINOR. He just started IPSC as well as myself and his theory is that he is a senior loves the capacity he gets with it as well as the sight radius and he says basically he will take his time and hit A's. He is in the sport to have fun he does not care about winning or losing and he really enjoys shooting the piece for steel.

It is a terrific pistol.

Robby

about 2 years ago i started shooting a 17L in limited, at club matchs. i got to say on the fun scale this is off the chart fun. i can get 25 rounds in my gun, recoil is gone. and i don't go for hits, i go flat out as fast as i can and then some. may not be the smart way to do it, but man is it fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Glock 17L is the most beautiful Glock of all. If you like Glocks, the 17L is an elegant weapon. I always use it in any matches that don't outlaw it for length. It's my favorite carry gun. I recently acquired a Glock 21 long slide from Lone Wolf. It's heavier in looks and feel, but it is the same length as the 17L. It has its own elegance. That's a gun with serious attitude. I'm considering it as a carry gun.