Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clipping my dogs nails too short

Dave Gundry

Tried trimming Lucy's nails for the first time myself... I hate hurting my dog, and on top of that, ever seen what a crazed 2 year old Jack Russel & Beagle mix can do to your house and clothes with a paw bleeding like a stuck pig?! This dog is greyhound/whippet fast at times. Especially when bleeding apparently.

Edited by Krautwagen

That sux! One time my dog got his paw hurt and while running around jumped in my truck. Over me and into the passenger side. Blood spraying everywhere all the time. The funny thing was as soon as he got to the passenger seat he stopped and sat there like nothing was wrong. Guess he was comfortable then. HUGE mess all over me and the truck!!!

I think those are called 'Pedipaws'. I was telling a friend about them and she said her dog freaked out when she tried to use one and attacked it!!! Hope your results are better!!!

Dremel is THE way to go. You don't need the goofy thing. I use a rechargable Dremel with a 60 grit sanding drum at low RPM. I did my own fingernails with it to make sure it was okay. I have very tough toenails and have started using the Dremel on them as it is easier and does a better job.

The dog was a bit skittish at first but once she realized it didn't hurt it was a lot easier. There are copious stories on the dog forums about dogs that come running when they hear the Dremel in use because they expect to get a pedicure and a cookie.

Huge advantage to this over clipping is that the toenails are less likely to chip and split afterward and don't scratch you because there aren't sharp edges.

I have even used it on one of the cats.

One caution is that if your dog (or cat or yourself I guess) has a lot of hair on the paws you need to keep this out of the way or it can get caught and bound up in the Dremel and that isn't good. A good trick is to take a piece of panty hose material and poke the nail through it.

I tried trimming a toy fox terrier's nails once with regular clippers.

Once.

I had to wear a welding glove on one hand.

Up til that point, I didn't know demonic possession of canines was possible.

Yeah, like full on Linda Blair, Excorcist kinda possession. :surprise:

I coulda sworn the dog actually spoke in tongues too.

Anywhooo... if you do have to use the regular clippers, having a dog that is mostly white or has "white socks" is kinda handy because you can see the quick through the nail. It's kinda translucent.

Edited by Chills1994

Tried trimming Lucy's nails for the first time myself...

Oh, man... I hate that crap myself. Especially when their nails are all black, and have no external identifiers as to where the quick is, either... :(

Picked up one of the "As Seen on TV" power trimmers for dog's nails at Wallyworld this weekend. I need to give it a try in a few days and see if it works.

Introduce slowly and carefully. If you just grab the dog and turn the sucker on and go at it, they may not be happy about it at all - and then its more damage done than not... :( We're working on ours, now...

*** A good trick is to take a piece of panty hose material and poke the nail through it. ***

Now that's a really good idea! Thanks.

Yeah, that's a good one, Kevin ;)

Dremmel makes a pet nail trimmer, it is a battery powered tool and works great. Your cord connected one will work also. The trick is to get your pet used to it. Turn it on and run it near your pet, run it close to his body, pick up his paw and bring it close to it. Do this several nights, then just touch one nail gently one time, give him treats and lots of praise, do this several times and eventually you will be able to do them. The one sold on tv has a good web site showing you how to train your pet to get used to the trimmer. The dremmel way is much better than clipping them, but it takes way longer to get your pet to do it.

Well, trimming sometimes over 100 nails a day, I can add a little to this thread.....

If you can grind them down with something like a dremel or similar, that's your best bet, if he/she can handle the noise of it. My Dobermann got freaked out from the sound & wouldn't let me do it.

If you have to cut it with regular clippers, do a little at a time....instead of waiting for them to get really long(quick grows too, so you won't be able to cut it as short as you want without bleeding), cut the nails a bit more often.

If you do happen to make them bleed, some home remedies you can use:

brown sugar - just pack it in

a chunk of a bar of soap - press the nail into the soap

**These are things I was told will help...I use a clotting powder at work**

Or...you can just take your dog to a professional groomer :) or your vet.

I have some around here my vet gave me one time but it was in a spare bottle with no product info on it. Good stuff. It chemically cauterizes the wound.

I've heard of the bar of soap trick too, but don't have direct experience with it.

My blue heeler mix (entered our lives as a stray a year ago) apparently has nails that are hard to cut without causing her pain and bleeding. But when they're not trimmed, she causes ME pain and bleeding when we play. A groomer down the street now takes care of it very competently for us for $10 every couple of months...worth the small investment. I just can't stand hurting my dog so I'm relieved not to have to do it any more.

Curtis

Edited to add a pix of my pup, taken on the trail this year in Colorado.

post-9477-1231791092_thumb.jpg

Edited by BayouSlide

I try to travel often enough so that the dogs need to go to the kennel whenever their toes need trimming. Every time we pick them up, they are neatly trimmed. The girls there do a good job, and it helps me avoid having 2 ticked off bleeding terriers running around my house.

My blue heeler mix (entered our lives as a stray a year ago) apparently has nails that are hard to cut without causing her pain and bleeding. But when they're not trimmed, she causes ME pain and bleeding when we play. A groomer down the street now takes care of it very competently for us for $10 every couple of months...worth the small investment. I just can't stand hurting my dog so I'm relieved not to have to do it any more.

Curtis

Edited to add a pix of my pup, taken on the trail this year in Colorado.

I did this a few months ago. My poor Shih Tzu wouldn't stop bleeding even after trying the flour/corn starch trick. I had to run to the pet store and by a special gel. Like kimel suggested, I have gone to the Dremel ever since and have not looked back.

Dremel is THE way to go. You don't need the goofy thing. I use a rechargable Dremel with a 60 grit sanding drum at low RPM. I did my own fingernails with it to make sure it was okay. I have very tough toenails and have started using the Dremel on them as it is easier and does a better job.

The dog was a bit skittish at first but once she realized it didn't hurt it was a lot easier. There are copious stories on the dog forums about dogs that come running when they hear the Dremel in use because they expect to get a pedicure and a cookie.

Huge advantage to this over clipping is that the toenails are less likely to chip and split afterward and don't scratch you because there aren't sharp edges.

I have even used it on one of the cats.

One caution is that if your dog (or cat or yourself I guess) has a lot of hair on the paws you need to keep this out of the way or it can get caught and bound up in the Dremel and that isn't good. A good trick is to take a piece of panty hose material and poke the nail through it.

I use the Drem too! Works like a charm... just do a little at a time and go to the next nail. If the dog had thick nails you can heat them up, so do a bit on one and more to the next.

Guys, that Pedi-paw thing is a piece of crap, $20-something I'll never get back. Wife got me to get one, took it home and tried like hell to cut my fox terriers nails with it. Not happening. Thing has absolutely no torque.

Now I'm back to the Dremel with the sanding drum.

okay, that's just *way* more than I needed to know

Hey...I left off the part about the fungus that started growing in them after Tulsa. ;)

I am pretty sure the reason my dog took to it as quickly as she did was she was right there when I was testing it on myself and doing my own nails. I suspect the "well, it didn't hurt the idiot male ape so it should be okay for me" thought was present in the canine mind.

I have some around here my vet gave me one time but it was in a spare bottle with no product info on it. Good stuff. It chemically cauterizes the wound.

I've heard of the bar of soap trick too, but don't have direct experience with it.

Mark - is that your dog in the avatar?

Mark - is that your dog in the avatar?

I wish. That's Cesar Millan's sidekick, "Daddy"!

He's a 14 y.o. pit that Cesar has been using to help rehabilitate troubled dogs for quite a few years now. "Well balanced" doesn't scratch the surface of how even-tempered he is. The combination of his obvious physical power, and not so obvious 'protection' training, facinates me no end.

On his show, the production crew goes in first and films the back story, and Cesar himself isn't told anything about the problem in advance. When he sits down and says, "How can I help you?", that's the first he learns about that particular case. I was fortunate enough to attend a seminar of his last month and during his presentation he explained that he uses Daddy as an emotional barometer when he visits these new clients. He said he walks Daddy up to the fence, or door, or even an outside wall of the house and watches Daddy's reaction to the dog inside to see how unstable they are before he enters. Even though he still doesn't know the specifics of what's inside he gets a good feel for what sort of energy he's about to encounter.

That's a cool dog...

Mark - you need a dog!

Our Great Dane's nails are thicker around than my pinky finger. The vet has to sedate him to trim his nails.

Daily walks on the street keep them from getting crazy long though.

Mark - you need a dog!

Our Great Dane's nails are thicker around than my pinky finger. The vet has to sedate him to trim his nails.

Daily walks on the street keep them from getting crazy long though.

Hell yes. Everybody does! :D

I raised Dobermanns as house pets and guard dogs for almost 25 years. Having another one would be uber-cool, but with my current schedule it just wouldn't be fair to the pup right now.

Hell yes. Everybody does! :D

I raised Dobermanns as house pets and guard dogs for almost 25 years. Having another one would be uber-cool, but with my current schedule it just wouldn't be fair to the pup right now.

Dobes.....the BEST dogs :D

Dobes.....the BEST dogs :D

There's a beautiful red dobbie in our dog park. I'd never seen a red before.

Our Great Dane loves her - but, alas, she doesn't feel the same . . . I think that a Great Dane/Dobbie mix would be pretty cool. Samson (our Great Dane) does too :roflol: