Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Civility on the 'Net

BayouSlide

With some time to kill over the holidays I've spent time on a number of forums, some new to new, some that I hadn't visited in a while. Always hope to learn something, or maybe post something that might help someone else in the way that others have helped me.

I can't help but cringe at the tone of way too many postings on "the other" forums...if this is how some people define a user community, I'd be scared the visit the real-life community it was based on.

Kudos to our host, the BENOS community and it's moderators for apparently achieving a rare safe harbor from the antagonism, ignorance, baiting and bashing that seem the sum and substance of 'Net life for many people.

I'm happy to park my avatar here anytime.

Happy New Year to all :cheers:

I think one of the biggest reasons this is true is because of the mods.

I've seen recently they cleaned up a thread that had a bunch of BS in it that did not belong. Hats off to them!

I know its a lot of work. Great job!

I've been "parking my avatar here" for over six years and see no reason to leave. This place gets to be family after a while. And civility has a lot to do with it--not to mention the noted industry talent that contributes here.

Kudos to our host, the BENOS community and it's moderators for apparently achieving a rare safe harbor from the antagonism, ignorance, baiting and bashing that seem the sum and substance of 'Net life for many people.

I'm happy to park my avatar here anytime.

Hear ye and hear him. :cheers:

One difference between the Benoverse and the rest of the forums is that a good portion of us get to actually meet each other and compete with them. I have learned that I have to account for whatever I say here to real folks- not just avatars. The competitive shooting world is pretty small, and everybody knows everbody else.

Thanks to Brian, Flex and everyone else that keeps this little world kickin. :cheers:

There are other sites where keyboard commandos "Hide" and their fighting, bickering, cursing, and immaturity runs amuck. I have never even read the boards on Ar*5.com because of all the stuff I hear about that place. I visit the classifieds and will read a post if someone links me to it, other than that, I like the peaceful tranquility around here and a very few other places.

Seems the vast majority of poeple come here for one of two reasons.

To learn, and to share. I guess egos get in the way of those two reasons, so we leave them off the boards.

Sure makes it nice to ask questions and share experience.

This place is the best! :bow:

I have said it many times, but THIS is my favorite place on the internet. It is also the only place I try to contribute anymore, I used to cruise 3 or 4 places but after I settled here I have everything I need in a great environment. It IS the moderator staff that keep it this way and I appreciate them volunteering their time to provide me with the quality experience I have here.

One difference between the Benoverse and the rest of the forums is that a good portion of us get to actually meet each other and compete with them. I have learned that I have to account for whatever I say here to real folks- not just avatars. The competitive shooting world is pretty small, and everybody knows everbody else.

The folks I see at matches are an extended family. Some even became family.

I often tell people I came for the shooting but stayed for the people I found.

:)

Thanks to Brian, Flex and everyone else that keeps this little world kickin. :cheers:

Early when I started coming here someone suggested imagining I was being invited into Brian's front Sunday parlor, the old-fashioned one where folks used to greet welcomed and honored guests....like us....warmly. There might even be a cozy fire burning in the corner if you're cold. Pull up a chair and talk to your heart's content about what we love -- shooting. It's OK to stray from the prime topic and we do a lot, but seeing most of the people here behave just as genially as they would in Brian's front parlor confirms my faith in this place.

Every last person who's a member here is why this place is as good as it is.

just today I was cussed out on another forum, for daring to disagree with someone. I was, as usual, civil or perhaps even polite. The language that I got in return would make a drill Sgt proud. This 'person' claimed to be leaving the forum because of me and my 'arguing with me about every subject all the time'. We had exchanged comments on ONE other thread, one time.

It occurred too quickly for a moderator to edit or expel the person. Although I am sure it will be done by noon today.

I do like to 'come home' to "brian's forums".

Thanks to Benos and all moderators!

I occasionally will look at other boards, but this is where I prefer to spend my time. Life is too short to gripe and moan about everything. Especially those things we cannot do anything about. Why not learn something about what we all came here for originally...Shooting related issues.

Thanks to the Admin/Moderator bunch for all they do.

dj

ETA

Thanks, Brian, for starting this forum.

dj

Edited by dajarrel