Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Law Enforcement

RangerTrace

Law Enforcement is one of the recognized special categories defines in Appendix A2.

3. Individual Categories:

Categories approved for individual recognition are as follows:

a. Lady

b. Junior -- Competitors under the age of 18 on the first day

of the match.

c. Senior -- Competitors over the age of 55 on the first day of

the match

d. Super Senior -- Competitors over the age of 65 on the first day of

the match.. Acompetitor over the age of 65 on the

first day of the match may enter Senior Category

only if Super Senior is unavailable.

e. Military -- Military personnel on current active duty orders.

f. Law -- Full-time law enforcement officers with arrest

powers.

Sometimes it gets missed when setting up registration in EzWinScore. If different people scored the matches you mentioned that might account for why one set of results shows it checked for you and others don't.

Rob

If we still recognize Mil and Law why is it not an option in EZWinscore?

In Version 3.06 Military/Law/Foreign is selectable during match registration, and is available for match reporting. However it cannot be set in the Master database.

I've seen the ladies recognized in level III but that is it. I would like to see senior and super senior over all winners at least recognized. LAO and Mil seem silly to me especially if they are not recognized. I'm sure there was a reason maybe we need to re think these categories.

p2000lefty

I'm sure there was a reason maybe we need to re think these categories.

Most categories are recognized per participation.

Most of this stuff has already been thought out, it's just that people don't bother to read the manual.

The special Mil and LEO category should only apply to ones that are shooting issue weapons and using issue holsters and rigs. These weapons and holsters obliviously were less competitive hince the special category. If someone happens to be in the military or a LEO and is using personally owned equipment and guns basically the same as everyone else then in my opinion they dont belong in the special category.

I've seen the ladies recognized in level III but that is it. I would like to see senior and super senior over all winners at least recognized. LAO and Mil seem silly to me especially if they are not recognized. I'm sure there was a reason maybe we need to re think these categories.

p2000lefty

At least two of the matches I work each year recognize ALL categories using the same criteria we use to recognize class and division winners:

Summer Blast is a level III match. Law & Mil are awarded trophies (it's a trophy only match), as are Lady, Senior, Super Senior, and Junior. In order to earn an award, a minimum of 5 shooters per division is required for first place class winners and category winners. See Summer Blast Awards Page for details. If there is no award for a category, we did not have enough shooters register in that category to include a trophy.

South Carolina State Sectional Match is a Level II match. Law & Mil are awarded plaques and checks, as are Lady, Senior, Super Senior, and Junior. In order to earn an award and check, a minimum of 3 shooters per division is required for first place class winners and category winners. See SC State 2008 Winners for details. The amount of the check varies by number of shooters that register in the category or class. There were 3 Law Enforcement shooters in Open, which paid $75. There were 5 in both Limited & Production, and both paid $100. If there is no award for a category, we did not have enough shooters register in that category to include a plaque & check.

As Flexmoney noted, it is based on participation. It is up to the match director to decide how to recognize categories. For both the matches I mentioned, the awards policy is posted well in advance of the match.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Edited by LChico

The special Mil and LEO category should only apply to ones that are shooting issue weapons and using issue holsters and rigs. These weapons and holsters obliviously were less competitive hince the special category. If someone happens to be in the military or a LEO and is using personally owned equipment and guns basically the same as everyone else then in my opinion they dont belong in the special category.

As I understand the rules, MIL and LEO can use their duty rigs, thigh holsters, etc. in Level I, but are prevented by rule from using anything that doesn't match the regular equipment rules in higher levels. At our club, there's a progression from using issued equipment when they first come to the club to using regular Production rigs to Limited rigs though.

Otherwise, it's just a class award at the Level II-Nationals. I'm always happy when one of my LEO friends places in that class; I've "won" in "C" class and it was fun for similar reasons. If we had more juniors, we could have boys and girls classes, U14, etc. We probably have saturated the possible classes for the current membership, however.

No sandbagging in MIL or LEO :)

USPSA needs to figure out how to award the categories at the Nats a bit better though. They gave me the plaque for High LE at the Production Nationals and Ted Puente the plaque at the Limited 10 Nats. They told me I was the highest outside the top 16 and then gave one to Ted even though he finished well into the top 16. I gave Vogel the plaque. I figure being the National Champion and a cop he should at least get the plaque as well.

I agree Chuck. That whole thing confused the hell out of me. Everyone is asking "Where's Chuck so we can get him his plaque" and I'm standing there with the standings in my hand going "Huh?"