Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canon EOS Rebel XSi

My wife has decided she needs to upgrade to a digital SLR (I agree) and all of my experience with digital SLRs was on the higher end stuff a couple of years ago (Canon EOS 1-DS Mark II when that was the newest, latest, greatest...if they'd only have let me keep it! and then a Nikon D100 for another job when that model was new), so I don't have much to go on when it comes to entry level digital SLRs. Anybody try the Rebel XSi or have strong thoughts about them either way? They seem to have gotten good reviews in the digital photog rags, but we all know what reviews are worth :roflol:

I'm planning on her needing several good lenses since she'll want to do some macro stuff, some wildlife...really a little bit of everything. So, the plan is to go with an entry level DSLR now, buy quality lenses as she needs them, and then get a better body if/when she finds she needs something better.

Thoughts, opions, warnings, confessions all appreciated. R,

That sounds like a good plan to me. I'd be weary of buying lenses that only work with the 1.6x magnification cameras --- partly because I see a return to larger sensors as chips get cheaper over the next few years, and partly because you may find a 1Ds Mk. II used for cheap in a few years.....

I always budgeted lenses on a ten year replacement cycle when I was working. Bodies closer to 3 years, or every other generation, flashes probably on par with bodies --- that would typically be feature and compatibility dependent....

That sounds like a good plan to me. I'd be weary of buying lenses that only work with the 1.6x magnification cameras --- partly because I see a return to larger sensors as chips get cheaper over the next few years, and partly because you may find a 1Ds Mk. II used for cheap in a few years.....

I always budgeted lenses on a ten year replacement cycle when I was working. Bodies closer to 3 years, or every other generation, flashes probably on par with bodies --- that would typically be feature and compatibility dependent....

Good formula thanks...

...looking for that cheap 1Ds Mk II... :D

Okay, sounds like it's not a terrible plan. Good points about lenses suitable for the larger sensors that are starting to show up on the more expensive models....definitely will keep that in mind. I guess momma is now gonna be a Rebel :roflol:

Okay, sounds like it's not a terrible plan. Good points about lenses suitable for the larger sensors that are starting to show up on the more expensive models....definitely will keep that in mind. I guess momma is now gonna be a Rebel :roflol:

There's basically two types of lenses -- sensor wise -- the special lenses for the 1.6x magnification cameras (G series, maybe, but I'm not positive on the designation) and everything else --- which will cover the 35mm format of the 1Ds or film cameras as well as the 1D bodies....

Nothing wrong with the Rebel series except that they can't take a torrential downpour like the Pro bodies. So, stay out of monsoons.

The Canon EF-S lenses will work only with the "crop" sensors. That is, the Rebel and 10-20-30-40-50D models. Keep an eye out and you can find good deals (but nothing like robbing banks) for the standard, or the L lenses. I did as you're doing, starting with the original Digital Rebel, and now have worked up to L lenses and a 40D. (The 5D MkII is whispering to me, though....)

The regular lenses and the L lenses will work on "crop" sensor bodies and the full-frame sensor bodies. They are just heavier, bigger and cost more. In some instances they deliver more, and sometimes they don't.

You can get quite good non-Canon lenses, but do your homework. I did a lot of work with a Sigma 50mm Macro lens, but quality can be up and down. Don't be afraid to test a non-Canon lens and ready to ship it back if it isn't up to snuff.

As for image quality, all cameras do Ok as a bare minimum. Yes, pros use more than the minimum, but good images are produced by controlling light, not by bludgeoning the subject with megapixels.

I bit and got one. Impressive little camera. Debated between the Xs and XSi, and opted to go up to the XSi. For me, more than enough to keep me going for a few years.

My AE-1 was still serviceable after almost 3 decades, but digital is so nice. I just have to relearn so much!

I was a photo nut for years, using regular old SLR's. Unfortunately, my choice of camera at the time was Konica. It was a nice unit, but they stopped making cameras and went with copiers. It eventually broke, so I went with digital point and shoots when they came out.

Recently, I got the bug again, so I started searching. Given my previous experience, I wanted to be sure that the company I chose would not vacate the camera market, so I went with Nikon.

Depending on what you mean by entry level.... I ended up buying the D80, because it has most of the bells and whistles, but is much easier to operate that the professional level cameras. If I got hot and heavy into it again, my Nikkor lenses would still fit the higher end Nikon's. So, I'd recommend Nikon, and depending on what you want to spend, the D80. Lense? The Nikkor VR 18-200 lens, will keep her busy for quite awhile.

Oh yeah. Macro. The Nikkor AF Micro 60 mm is a real nice lense. In fact, they have a newer than mine, which has some additional features.

I'm sure you know that will never go wrong with Nikkor.

That's my two cents.

Edited by MLE-ShootingSports

I am looking at a Cannon EOS Rebel XSi

What would be a good price for all of this stuff in this deal?

Comes with :

1. Everything in Original Canon Rebel BOX (camera body, 18-55 lens kit, software CDs, Books, battery, charger, usb, neck strap)

2. Digital SLAVE Flash to mount on top of camera

3. 8 GB memory Stick

4. USB reader for MEMORY stick

5. 58 mm Wide Angle LENS and HIGH DEFINITION 2x telephoto lens

6. CANON EF 75-300 LENS

7. STEEL CARRYING CASE

8. Carrying pack

9. TRIPOD

10. Table top Tripod

11. MERKURY 3 piece digital care Lens CLEANING KIT

12. 3 piece high resolution filter set

** the only thing not pictured are what is in the REBEL BOX (cd software and books) and the USB CARD READER

That a personal sale, or from a dealer? Because some of the "dealers" have a real crappy rep. You'll buy the camera at a real discount, but then get a phoen call a few minutes later. "the macro is otu of stock, so we have to substitute..." or "We have to ship parts of that form other locations, so we have to charge double shipping...." And the next thing you know you're up past full retail on everything.

To get a feel for prices, go to the Fred Miranda forum, and look in the "Buy" topic. There'll be 10-20 people selling an XSi in the last week or two, and you can quickly figure what a decent price is.

I had the newest version of the XSI until this November. I bought it from Costco which allows me 90 to use it then return it if not satisfied. I was satisfied with it but returned it b/c I did not see myself using it much since my Canon 40D is my primary camera and has never failed me (kind of like a well built race gun). I also was more comfortable with the controls and the larger size of the 40D since I have big hands. With that being said, In my opinion the image quality on the XSI was slightly better then the more expensive 40D and it had a crisper, brighter LCD screen then 40D too. You get alot of camera for the money with the Rebel XSI. Nice features and great photos. Also, if you buy the 18-55mm lens that comes w/ the kit you will be getting a pretty decent piece of glass with image stabilization to boot.

I am looking at a Cannon EOS Rebel XSi

What would be a good price for all of this stuff in this deal?

Comes with :

1. Everything in Original Canon Rebel BOX (camera body, 18-55 lens kit, software CDs, Books, battery, charger, usb, neck strap)

2. Digital SLAVE Flash to mount on top of camera

3. 8 GB memory Stick

4. USB reader for MEMORY stick

5. 58 mm Wide Angle LENS and HIGH DEFINITION 2x telephoto lens

6. CANON EF 75-300 LENS

7. STEEL CARRYING CASE

8. Carrying pack

9. TRIPOD

10. Table top Tripod

11. MERKURY 3 piece digital care Lens CLEANING KIT

12. 3 piece high resolution filter set

** the only thing not pictured are what is in the REBEL BOX (cd software and books) and the USB CARD READER

I'd look at B&H's new equipment price for the Camera and any lenses --- then figure out a percentage of that total that I'd feel comfortable spending for used gear. If the equipment is relatively new, in scarce supply on the used market, and in good condition, that number might be as high as 90% of new retail --- why not just buy new then becomes an obvious question, especially if you're only saving $ ~ 50-60. On the other hand if the thing you're looking for is widely available in a wide range of conditions, maybe that percentage drops to 50-70%. There is no point in assigning value to things like cases and tripods and filters (unless they're of known quality and value: Gitzo tripods, Halliburton Cases, etc. AND you actually need/can use those items or KNOW you can sell them for $ xx.xx) --- just focus on the camera body and lenses....

Searching E-bay --- advanced search, completed auctions only --- will give you a good idea of what used gear is selling for, in the most expensive marketplace on earth. I've never bought cameras or lenses on e-bay, just small accessories. I've sold almost every piece of equipment in the last 8 years on e-bay.....

(The 5D MkII is whispering to me, though....)

Patience... let them clean up the current firmware issues (notably, the black spot issue that happens w/ specular highlights...) ;)

Canon lenses are EF (for all cameras) and EF-S (for "small" mirror box cameras - ie, crop factor cameras).

Nikon lenses - DX series lenses only work with crop factor cameras. (1.5x on the Nikon bodies).

Canon's f/2.8 series zooms (the EF-S series doesn't bear the "L" designation) are all generally good stuff, but are expensive, heavy, and large... Of course, in glass, I generally prefer expensive, heavy, and large, for what they can deliver, so... :)

If you use a search engine and find that Broadway Photo has the best price, DO NOT buy from them. Let's just say I have had an extremely bad experience with them and if you do a Yahoo search on them you'll find whole websites dedicated to warning people about them. R,