Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I just bought a 627 PC 8 Times

41mag

Got this off of Gunbroker and will take about a week to get my hands on it....in the mean time what do I need to get on order?

I have already been informed by some of the members here that I should get moonclips from Hearth Co. So Dave if you see this and have a minute give me a pm and lets talk about an order.

Will I need a certain brand of brass to match the clips?

Will I need any special mooning or demooning tools?

I will need some major PF loads with round nose jacketed bullets...any Ideas? 38 Special brass?

I could ask Professor what hes shooting, I don't think hes blowed up his gun yet! :ph34r: Did see him go minor once now that I think about it!

I have a holster I can use for the short term. Safariland Cup (or something like that)

Will these moonclipped rounds fit on my North Mountain 45acp rig? Or will I need something different?

I know this gun is not that popular for USPSA revolver Div, but I will shoot it for fun at some local matches.

Any way I'm jumping in all the way now so any help or advice getting set up would be appreciated.

thanks,

41mag

My advice?--forget shooting USPSA with it, unless you want to play around in Production just for shits and giggles.

You already have a good USPSA gun. Nothing chambered for a caliber beginning with a .3 is a good USPSA gun. Nobody can seriously argue with me on that, Pat, not even the nutty professor. ;)

Get plenty of Hearthco moonclips set up for Starline brass, and buy a couple thousand pieces of .38 Short Colt brass. Load it with 9mm dies (with a .38 Spl. sizing die) to minor P.F. and use it for ICORE and steel matches. You will need a mooning and remooning tool, as the brass will fit the moons tightly. Your North Mountain holder will work fine.

Thanks Mike.

Are you using a "store" bought mooning tool? Or just pliers like a couple of GM's I know use for there hearthco 45acp clips?

I load the 45 moons without tools so I am not familiar with mooning tools. I see that Dillion is selling a new tool that is available for the 8 shots. Whats the best tool to get? I saw one for the 45 once that loaded all 6 rounds at once after you placed every thing in position.

Yes production at local matchs that have reshoots will be a real hoot. I will shoot the 625 for score first time and then play around.

About the dies...I load on a 550 and already own the 357/38 dies. So I should get the 9mm dies and use only the seating and crimping dies or also the expander/powder die with the 38 sizing die?

thanks,

pat

My advice?--forget shooting USPSA with it, unless you want to play around in Production just for shits and giggles.

You already have a good USPSA gun. Nothing chambered for a caliber beginning with a .3 is a good USPSA gun. Nobody can seriously argue with me on that, Pat, not even the nutty professor. ;)

Get plenty of Hearthco moonclips set up for Starline brass, and buy a couple thousand pieces of .38 Short Colt brass. Load it with 9mm dies (with a .38 Spl. sizing die) to minor P.F. and use it for ICORE and steel matches. You will need a mooning and remooning tool, as the brass will fit the moons tightly. Your North Mountain holder will work fine.

Pat, I load my .45 moons by hand also, because I don't use the tight Hearthcos in that caliber. With the Hearthco moonclips for my 8-shots, I use one of those yellow-handled Prudhome moonsetters. I turned the mandrel down so it would work with all my moonclips, including the .38 Super moons that I no longer own. Anyway, I have it because it came with a gun I acquired awhile back--the simple pliers method may work just fine too.

Not sure I can help you on the question regarding reloading dies--I'm still using my Square Deal B which uses its own proprietary dies. I just know for that machine I use a 9mm set with a .38 Spl. sizing die screwed into the first station.

Thanks Mike.

Are you using a "store" bought mooning tool? Or just pliers like a couple of GM's I know use for there hearthco 45acp clips?

I load the 45 moons without tools so I am not familiar with mooning tools. I see that Dillion is selling a new tool that is available for the 8 shots. Whats the best tool to get? I saw one for the 45 once that loaded all 6 rounds at once after you placed every thing in position.

Yes production at local matchs that have reshoots will be a real hoot. I will shoot the 625 for score first time and then play around.

About the dies...I load on a 550 and already own the 357/38 dies. So I should get the 9mm dies and use only the seating and crimping dies or also the expander/powder die with the 38 sizing die?

thanks,

pat

You already have a good USPSA gun. Nothing chambered for a caliber beginning with a .3 is a good USPSA gun. Nobody can seriously argue with me on that, Pat, not even the nutty professor. ;) (quote] :angry2:

Where is Sascha when you need him? :ph34r: Go for iit Pat. If shooting ICORE with the minor stuff, Chris, a local shooter doing well here, suggests that you might look into the 38 long colt as they have proven to be a bit more accurate beyond 20 yards for him. Some of the other Short Colt shooters are happy with the SC load they have though. Just in case you have problems with accuracy with the SC losds in your revo. later rdd

thanks,

pat

Lee makes dies for the 38 long/short colt.

I just got a 627 also. The question I have is why everyone seems to be shooting the smaller 9mm and .38 super bullets? The throats in my cylinder measure .3580"-.3582" which would seem to guarantee questionable fussy performance with the small bullets. I've only shot 38 special brass so far with Precicision Bullets 9mm 147's they sized .358. They're under 1" (8 rds) at 25 yds off a mediocre rest. I have some brass trimmed to .900" (longest the ejector will clear the cylinder) but I'm waiting for dies to arrive. I'm not a fan of any more bullet jump to the cylinder throat than absolutely necessary.

Where is Sascha when you need him? :ph34r: Go for iit Pat. If shooting ICORE with the minor stuff, Chris, a local shooter doing well here, suggests that you might look into the 38 long colt as they have proven to be a bit more accurate beyond 20 yards for him. Some of the other Short Colt shooters are happy with the SC load they have though. Just in case you have problems with accuracy with the SC losds in your revo. later rdd

My Starline clips will handle all of the starline varients. Long Colt, Short Colt and, standard 38 special.

They WONT work with the other brands< Dave

Remember in ICORE you can always use a second load on the long-range stuff--as long as you identify it ahead of time and it makes chrono. I did this with my 625 at the IRC last year--shot plated 185-gr. HBRN for the match, all except the 50-yard line at the standards, where I shot a 200-gr. SWC at major P.F. because it was accurate and hit exactly to point of aim at 50 without having to dial up my sights.

So if you really wanted to, you could shoot Short Colts most of the time and get the advantage of the quicker reloads, and then switch to long-range accuracy loads in .38 Spl.--or even .357!-- brass when you get to the long-range standards strings. Or you could simply develop a good .38 Short Colt load and give in to the fact that it will shoot just fine, even at 50 yards, whether you want it to or not. ;)

(Funny how some of the same folks who believe that longer bullet jump is detrimental to accuracy also believe in Taylor Throating with a free-bore section.) :wacko:

First thing I would do is send the gun to Mike Carmoney and have him do the action work. He has done several guns for me that are excellet. I also have a Randy Lee 625 and prefer Mike's action job over it. I have one revolver left to have done a 627 in 38 super. It will be going to Mike.

41Mag-

I made some special demooning tools out of stainless when I got a 627 x 8. I've been selling them for $20.00 locally, but if you

want one, I will send it as a gift to help you get started off right. PM with shipping info if you wish. One of these will last forever.

Best Regards

Got this off of Gunbroker and will take about a week to get my hands on it....in the mean time what do I need to get on order?

thanks,

41mag

The 1st thing you need to do is call Miss Annette and sign up for the ICORE Southern Regional. You beat me with the 625 at the Gator last yeat, so I want a rematch with the 627s.

I use the 9mm sizer/expander, the 38/357 one doesn't seem to go down far enough to bell the mouth of short colt cases.

Bruce

Hi T3P_Guy,

Are you loading on a Dillion? What dies are you using in all the other stations?

I am still just a tad unclear on what I should get die wise for my 550 to crank out the 38sc. Right now ,based on this thread so far, I am thinking I will order the Dillion 9mm dies and use the expander/powder ,seating,and crimp dies in the tool head with the 38 spl resizing die. Is this the right plan for the 550?

thanks,

41mag

41Mag-

I made some special demooning tools out of stainless when I got a 627 x 8. I've been selling them for $20.00 locally, but if you

want one, I will send it as a gift to help you get started off right. PM with shipping info if you wish. One of these will last forever.

Best Regards

Toolguy,

Thank you so much for your generosity. This is typical behavior from the shooting community here on the Eno's forums and particularly from the Revo brethren. Exactly the kind of stuff that should be expressed/ shared in the current Revo thread "Tell me About the Revolver-Shooting Fraternity".

I will send a PM shortly my friend, thank you

41mag

The 1st thing you need to do is call Miss Annette and sign up for the ICORE Southern Regional. You beat me with the 625 at the Gator last yeat, so I want a rematch with the 627s.

Now that does indeed sound like a lot of fun and I will always look forward to any shooting I can do with my southern friends. I will have to check in to that.

That being said...I came back for the rematch and you had a different kind of hand gun, it didn't use moonclips and held more bullets, it was fast and flat and you did very well with it (1st place :cheers: ).You had your chance for the rematch my friend.

What load are you using in the 627 Scott?

41mag

dont forget an aimpoint for the top!! :rolleyes: and drill some holes in the barrel for fun too.

Scott

A red dot would be fun for some steel or other non IPSC shooting events but for the most part I want to keep my iron sight shooting in top shape. It is kinda of a pain to swap a dot on most of the Smiths because it requires removal of the rear sight. I guess if I was so inclined I could use my PC 41mag which has the milled in Weaver rail on the barrel (it also has holes, Magna-Port).

I guess I'm not really into the holes, I have three S&W revolvers that came with porting/brakes/comps that I wish had not. I may even spend the money to change one of them back (remove ports).

You got any good loads for the 627 in 38sc ?

thanks,

41mag

Pat, I wouldnt resize with the 9x19 sizing die. I tried that, and there was no benefit to that other than overworking the brass. The 38 sizing die will squeeze down the case mouth enough to hold onto .355 bullets and up, and at the velocities we are using with the short colt the 9mm taper crimp works just fine. Make sure to set up the crimp die to just make a faint line in the jacketed round and a little more for the lead bullets when you set up the press and you will have it set up really good. I find that making a dummy round and pulling the bullet a couple of times and resizing the case will make life pretty good when setting up the crimp die.

As far as load data goes, I have found the best accuracy using fast powders with 147-150grain bullets loaded out to 1.130 OAL. Think of this and use 9x19 load data. At 25yds with 147s start with 3.0gr of VV310, CLAYS, and NITRO 100 in that order and you should have some good groups. Be very careful going over 135PF with these powders, and some people load TG with 158s, but that is around 125PF and not 135......cylinders have gone goodbye with 158gr bullets....beware.

Hope this helps, and prepare to have some fun!

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

Now that does indeed sound like a lot of fun and I will always look forward to any shooting I can do with my southern friends. I will have to check in to that.

That being said...I came back for the rematch and you had a different kind of hand gun, it didn't use moonclips and held more bullets, it was fast and flat and you did very well with it (1st place :cheers: ).You had your chance for the rematch my friend.

What load are you using in the 627 Scott?

41mag

I'll have to go dig around to find my data. Using GAT 160gr lrn and Red Dot powder.

• 4 months later...

Using Starline .38 Long Colt brass in Hearthco Starline moonclips, I don't need a tool to load the moonclips. They click in by hand. I just use a copper tube with a rubber stopper on one end and a notch cut out of the other end to lever against the moon for removal. It demoons very quickly for little money! Also, use 3.0 grains of Hodgdon Clays and a 170 grain Billy Bullet. Less felt recoil because of the low fps and less muzzle flip! I can hit X's at 50yds, so the accuracy is fine.

In my 8 shooter I run Rainiers 158 gr. PRN over 3.6 gr. of CLAYS in a .38 Special case for a minor PF load that's accurate and loads fast.

If you go the Short Colt route I'd listen to Doug & Mike, they have a lot of experience there. If you use 158 gr. bullets in the SC load them long, they'll bulge the case and not load if you seat so it looks normal.

For mooning I use an old channel lock pliers. Some day I'll pony up for a nice mooning tool, but the price is right for what I've got.

For demooning get an old copper pipe or golf club, cut to length, and put a notch on the end to twist empties off.