Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.5 inch limited gun

Adam B

• 4 weeks later...
A 5.5" will fit in the IPSC box and so is legal for IPSC Standard. As far as I know it is not legal for USPSA limited.

BTW someone said with a little creativity they could get a 6" bull barrel gun into the IPSC box.

i dont understand why a 5.5" would not be legal for USPSA Limited? There is no restriction on handgun size...

the rule states:

"Any complete handgun or components with a minimum production of 500 units by a factory and available to the general public."

So how does this work for custom gun builders? I noticed Matt Cheely posted, so to use his work as an example. Would he have to build 500 custom guns and get approval OR is it that fact that he is using components that have sold over 500 that makes his (and other custom builders) work legal? Furthermore, does it matter what he does (ie unique slide cuts, barrel fluting, barrel shortening) to these components as long as they are kept factory length? so is the only thing keeping the 5.5 inch gun illegal is the lack of a 5.5 inch barrel made available to the public?

Edited by W.Abrahams

We've already established that over 500 6" components have been produced, and the 6" limited guns themselves are certainly modified to suit the owner (slide lightening, custom artistic cuts, fluted bull barrels, ect), so why for discussions sake would a 5.5" gun not be considered a modified 6" gun. It obviously started out as a 6" set-up...right?

Or am I missing something obvious...? :blink:

• 3 years later...

To revisit this.

A 6" gun cut down to 5.5" is not legal why? 6" barrels are legal. 6" barrels with a 5" effective length (1" back bored muzzle) are legal. Yes, I checked on that one. 6" slides are legal. Modifications to slides are legal. I remember a pic of one of TGO's Limited guns that had an extensively lightened slide. The only thing left that was 6 inches was the top that held the sight. It was nearly a 5" slide with a top rib out to 6.

If the 500 count is the issue, every open barrel for a 5" slide is a 5.5 barrel. The threaded end is the only difference. For limited the end isn't threaded, but if you start with a 6 (as most barrel manfs tell me they do) then it's a modified 6".

In 2013 this won't matter. However, I'd like to shoot a 5.5 this year.

To revisit this.

A 6" gun cut down to 5.5" is not legal why? 6" barrels are legal. 6" barrels with a 5" effective length (1" back bored muzzle) are legal. Yes, I checked on that one. 6" slides are legal. Modifications to slides are legal. I remember a pic of one of TGO's Limited guns that had an extensively lightened slide. The only thing left that was 6 inches was the top that held the sight. It was nearly a 5" slide with a top rib out to 6.

If the 500 count is the issue, every open barrel for a 5" slide is a 5.5 barrel. The threaded end is the only difference. For limited the end isn't threaded, but if you start with a 6 (as most barrel manfs tell me they do) then it's a modified 6".

Are you willing to shoot a 5.4" this year? The CZ Tactical Sport has a 5.4" barrel: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-tactical/

To revisit this.

Open doesn't have a 500 produced clause.....

I don't think Amidon would accept certification of 500 Open barrels for Limited -- but you could ask him.....

Are you willing to shoot a 5.4" this year? The CZ Tactical Sport has a 5.4" barrel: http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-tactical/

I already have this 5.5" beast from FGW!

2012-02-18_22-39-37_572.jpg

I'll send Jon an email just to be sure. I'm two for two with my legality questions so I'm hoping for the Turkey.

It's not just the open barrels, it's a cut down 6" gun....

Thanks for the input.

Edited by want2race

To revisit this.

Open doesn't have a 500 produced clause.....

I don't think Amidon would accept certification of 500 Open barrels for Limited -- but you could ask him.....

Why would a 5.5" threaded barrel not be legal for limited?