Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 'Upgrades'

Graham Smith

There are a couple things that I often see people mention when it comes to Glock 35 modifications, replacement barrels and over-travel stops.

I can understand why someone would want to replace the standard barrel to shoot lead, but other than the cost of lead, what's the advantage of a different barrel?

As to reducing the over-travel, unless I am missing something, the amount of travel after the trigger breaks seems to be pretty slim. So, what's the advantage?

I keep wondering the same thing. I've heard that aftermarket barrels are more accurate- but that hasn't been my experience. I have gotten used to the Glock trigger and I find that I can go as fast as I can find the sights with it.

Although I can appreciate the desire to smooth out the Glock trigger and maybe shave a pound of pull, I agree that there are some over the top modifications (titanium striker, aluminum triggers, etc)

I also agree that aftermarket barrels are a complete waste of time...unless you are shooting lead or looking for more case support in 9mm major. An aftermarket barrel is not going to make anyone shoot more accurately in a Glock.

Think about it...the Glock barrel is made the way that it is so that it will feed ammunition with all different types of lengths. Easier feeding=fewer jams.

I can understand why someone would want to replace the standard barrel to shoot lead, but other than the cost of lead, what's the advantage of a different barrel?
I also agree that aftermarket barrels are a complete waste of time...unless you are shooting lead or looking for more case support in 9mm major. An aftermarket barrel is not going to make anyone shoot more accurately in a Glock.

Think about it...the Glock barrel is made the way that it is so that it will feed ammunition with all different types of lengths. Easier feeding=fewer jams.

While I hate to disagree with Micah on the subject of Tupperware Perfection --- he's wrong! Having owned two Glocks with fitted Bar-Sto Barrels I've got to say that shooting Alphas is easier with one than without....

Since I'm trying to be frugal, my production blasters won't be wearing one soon. They're pretty accurate --- but I get an astounding number of Alphas out of the 35 fitted with a Bar-Sto tube, shooting major loads --- and that ain't all me.....

My 6" 21 was the same way. Had it been Limited legal, I'd still have it....

While Glock barrels are accurate, my match barrel is slightly more accurate. However, in our game the glock barrel is accurate enough. That being said, I have a Bar-Sto drop in barrel, only because I got a deal on it.

I was paranoid about case support since most of my brass was of unknown origin and I had no idea of the number of times it was reloaded. I was shooting moly coated bullets for a while too and I just felt better using them with a standard rifled barrel. The stock barrels are plenty accurate IMO.

--- but I get an astounding number of Alphas out of the 35 fitted with a Bar-Sto tube, shooting major loads --- and that ain't all me.....

Your being hard on yourself Nik. I bet it's at least 98.5% you :) Seriously though, whats our "practical" target distance average? ~13 yards or something right? I promise, it's almost ALL you. Your just aiming that $250 Bar-Sto barreled Glock REAL good :goof:

Jim

I get an astounding number of Alphas out of the 35 fitted with a Bar-Sto tube, shooting major loads --- and that ain't all me.....

Hey Nik, Is that the G35 I sold you a couple years ago ? :rolleyes:

Sweet gun isn't it ? :)

That uglly-ass gun still runs and runs and nails alphas and more alphas......

I'm never selling it.......

--- but I get an astounding number of Alphas out of the 35 fitted with a Bar-Sto tube, shooting major loads --- and that ain't all me.....

Your being hard on yourself Nik. I bet it's at least 98.5% you :) Seriously though, whats our "practical" target distance average? ~13 yards or something right? I promise, it's almost ALL you. Your just aiming that $250 Bar-Sto barreled Glock REAL good :goof:

Jim

Well, it was an awesomely good deal when I bought it a couple of years ago. Bar-Sto fitted barrel, Shanahan Grip work and Brass mag-well, painted, upgraded sights, good trigger --- and I think i paid less money for it than a nearly box-stock 35. It might not be much to look at --- but it surely shoots. C's with it are rare; considerably more so than when I shoot the 34s in production....

I think other than shooting lead it mostly boils down to different stroke for different folk. I have a Barsto in my Glock 22 and a KKM in my Glock 35. Did I gain enough accuracy to make it worth a $200.00 barrel? Not that I could tell. They are slightly more accurate but in our game I don't think it is that big of a deal. Both of my barrels will now feed anything that I put in them. I shoot lead on occassion so they are definately nice for that.

Now my Vanek triggers on the other hand are amazing and in my opinion worth every penny. Just my opinion. If I had spent the time with the stock trigger I could probably shoot the gun just as accurately.

I've owned drop-in barrels over the years --- for an abandoned open gun project, to cure an inaccurate 17 (the stock barrel in this one simply sucked. I've never seen another one that bad....), for a G19 open gun project. They were all fine --- but with the exception of the 17 barrel, didn't improve accuracy in any meaningful way over stock barrels. Bar-Sto tubes fit at Bar-Sto are a different experience, at least in my small sample. Both of those guns shot significantly tighter than their factory contemporaries, out-shooting what had previously been my most accurate Glocks.

If the accuracy really matters for something --- Bianchi --- I'd look no farther. I also wouldn't spend the cash to improve an acceptable Glock; Keen's arrived here with the barrel work part of the gun....

I've sold most of my after market Glock bbls. They weren't appreciably more accurate, but they were appreciably more picky on ammo, feeding wise.

The OEM bbls I've had so far eat anything (loaded to SAAMI OAL, of course), included their own bulged brass, and do it with good accuracy and better velocity for the same powder charge than the aftermarket jobs (which, I will admit, were all drop in models, not gunsmith fit).

I have one barsto that I am using for practice loads in my 17, because it will shoot the large batch of moly 147's I have that tumble out of the OEM bbl (I'll get the next batch sized up). Jacketed slugs shoot the same groups, but faster out of the polygonally rifled OEM bbl.

but I get an astounding number of Alphas out of the 35 fitted with a Bar-Sto tube, shooting major loads --- and that ain't all me.....

Well, most of it is. :)

Duane,

you're not wrong --- but when I'm competing in Limited I try to push a little faster, and am willing to accept some C's --- only I wind up shooting fewer C's in a match than when I shoot production. There's just something about that blaster in my hands --- it's almost as if Keen had it built for me.....

I'm just happy Merlin didn't beat me to it..... :roflol:

The stock barrel is likely as good as any aftermarket barrel with regards to quality and accuracy. And, it eat about anything. Most reliable.

Barrel fit, slide to frame fit...load development...load to barrel compatability... Those are other factors...with reagrds to accuracy.

Personally, I'd take a Glock (17, 22, 34, 35) off the shelf...add some grip tape and sights...feed it off the shelf ammo...and I'd be willing to compete anywhere in the world with it. (3.5 trigger connector, extended mag release, NON-extended slide release..if given a preference)

I like to put all the aftermarket stuff in my Glocks. That is what the popular crowd does and I want to fit in.

I get the feeling that you are right on target with this one.

And as to shooting lead, I cannot help but think that even in a good barrel, lead is not going to be as consistent nor as accurate as jacketed or plated.

Although I can appreciate the desire to smooth out the Glock trigger and maybe shave a pound of pull, I agree that there are some over the top modifications (titanium striker, aluminum triggers, etc)

I do not have a titanium striker, but switching to a lightened steel striker eliminated an occasional light strike I would get with WSP primers and reduced power striker spring. Given the extra cost of federal primers and the difficulty of finding them, I think the lightened steel striker is well worth the cost.

Slav

For my second Glock a 34- I put in a Vanek super

trigger kit,TOP SHELF IT IS, Dawson Ice 5.5 oz mag

well, Dawson sights rear,FO FS, tung. full length capt.

guide rod and a ISMI 13lb. spring, and grip tape. I did

try a aftermarket barrel against the stock one and I

sold the aftermarket one and went with stock- this

is JUST as good as the other and I got all my money

back to boot! Lots of "A's" Loading 125JHP, 5.5gr True

Blue 1.125 AOL- Use this at you're own risk please! :cheers:

For me it was a bit of an addiction. I didn't really plan to toy with my 34 much. The guy I bought it from had put a 5# connector in it, but gave me the stock 3.5# with the gun. Once I felt the difference between those two parts, I wanted to know what else I could toy with.

I've been going back and forth with aftermarket parts. Some seem to help, others don't. I'm pretty happy with a stock gun with a 3.5# connector as long as all the parts are polished.

Right now I'm using a LWD 3.5# connector, LWD guide rod and 14lb recoil spring, and Lightning strike drop safety plunger. I'm pretty happy with this configuration and plan to stick with it for production.

Edited by Rob D

There are a couple things that I often see people mention when it comes to Glock 35 modifications, replacement barrels and over-travel stops.

As to reducing the over-travel, unless I am missing something, the amount of travel after the trigger breaks seems to be pretty slim. So, what's the advantage?

First I'll state that I am one of those the the Glock doesn't work for...generally, not mechanically.

From my little experience in competition...the glocks that I see malf are 99.9% of the time "fixed up" glocks while the ole boring stock ones seem to run all day long...but if I had one (again) I'd probably screw with it until it didn't work too...

...now back to the SS threads... :ph34r:

YMMV

There's just something about that blaster in my hands --- it's almost as if Keen had it built for me.....

It's great when you get that sense of being one with your gun. Like Arthur and Excalibur. It's a feeling of supreme contentment. And no, I'm not being even slightly ironic.