Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan vs Kimber Match Stainless II

Adam B

Kimber hands down best. Please everytime I hear that "get a STI because they support the sport" dribble I want to :sick: . If you don't think you are paying an additional percentage for that "support" everytime you buy an STI then you don't understand Business 101. I would rather STI not "support the sport" and drop their inflated prices.

I guess Kimber gets that full page ad in every issue of the Front Sight for free - I don't think so.

Hello: Buy a Kimber Eclipse 10mm and install a 9mm and 40 barrels. I like the checkered front strap and the two tone look. I wish STI would checker the front strap on the Trojan or leave it alone so I could checker it. Thanks, Eric

I think I have a recent issue of front sight with a full page Kimber ad on the back

I have both, I shoot the Trojan more, it is my magic gun (actually it's a haunted gun).

But I am happy with the 45 Kimber Custom I have.

The trojan needed the ramp done by Virgil Tripp. The Kimber needed some safety bits traded out to convert it to a series 70.

The Kimber cost me $650 new. The Trojan MSRPs at $900. Both needed a magwell when I got them.

YMMV

Kimber hands down best. Please everytime I hear that "get a STI because they support the sport" dribble I want to :sick: .

"...supports the sport AND MAKES A BETTER PISTOL"

Feeling queasy yet? I do understand business 101 and still think the STI is a better value. Kimber is the king of advertising, sort of like the Bose of pistols IMO, looks good, works ok.

I guess I've just fixed one too many Kimber's that folks weren't happy with and were fed up with dealing with Kimber. That is just my bias though.

I have had good luck with Kimbers in the past. I owned a Custom Stainless Target II (my first .45) and it ran flawlessly. I did add Wilson Combat Ambi's, Fiber Optic Front sight, S&A magwell, Cylinder and Slide trigger group and some nice wood grips. But it was a really nice piece when finished. So nice that the buddy of mine that I sold it to will not see it back to me. (thanks Matt)

The second one was a Custom Stainless in 9mm. It ran great too, but I only had it for a short while (traded for other stuff).

I would buy another Kimder in a minute, but I must admit I have some of the other 'over priced' tools too.

Edited by TM262

The old Kimbers seemed to be made and fit much better. They're not a bad gun, but I don't think you get quite as much gun for the money compared with a Trojan. I also don't think that you get a hand fit slide/barrel on a Kimber as you do with a Trojan. Granted, it's not fit like a top-notch gunsmith would do, but it's a lot better than most "production" guns that aren't in the multiple thousands of dollars. R,

Hello: Buy a Kimber Eclipse 10mm and install a 9mm and 40 barrels. I like the checkered front strap and the two tone look. I wish STI would checker the front strap on the Trojan or leave it alone so I could checker it. Thanks, Eric

For what its worth, out of the box my Trojan SS in 45 didn't work. I would experience at least 2 FTF per mag with round nose bullets and hollow points would not feed at all. I sent it back to STI. STI replaced a bunch of parts, polished what needed to be polished & tuned the gun. It now works flawlessly. The turn around time was 1 day.

Hello: I do have some STI pistols as well. I just like the idea of having one pistol and 2 setups. That way you can shoot 9mm and change over to 40 when you want. I do believe that some pistols are better than others when done at factory type settings. As the saying goes don't buy a car built on a Monday or Friday. If you want the best 9mm then get one built for you. If you want a production pistol then pick one and run with it. Thanks, Eric

The series II Kimbers have a rinky dink firing pin block in them, it is a poor design and difficult for the average gun owner to remove. The quality of the Kimber also fell off toward the end of the series I pistols and continues to fall off IMO with the series II guns. The old Clackamas guns were VERY nice guns for the money, but they haven't been anywhere near as nice in a LONG time. The factory STI guns are generally OK. I just can't get excited about a production gun though, if it were me I'd kick up another $4-500 and buy a Baer or go full custom and get something worth the money. There just isn't enough functional difference IMO between a $600 Springfield, a $700 Colt and a $900 Kimber or STI to worry about other than the initial cost. Another $5-800 in any of these guns though will make it a very nice gun.

You are 100% correct about the Les Baer. There is no better buy than a LB PII. I am just too cheap to spend that kind of money. I have been researching a bit for another 1911. One gun that has really surprised me as far as fit and finish is the Dan Wesson PM-7. It falls in the same price bracket with the Kimber and STI.

The Swartz safety is easily removed from a Kimber. The current quality is not as good as the old Clakamas guns. It is still much better than a Springfield or STI Trojan.

My old Kimber Stainless Target II will still put 5 shots inside a 2" Shoot-N-C at 25 yrds with ease - well inside. It still has all of those dreaded MIM parts. Round count is well over 50,000.

I have a DW PM series gun I got in a trade a year or two ago and it is a festering pile, I am not sure what number PM it is but a Springfield milspec looks like a target gun in comparison of the fitting. It runs and is capable of 3" or so at 25 yards but it is nothing impressive at all and is just like all the other DW 1911's I have handled, it looks nice but is very sloppy. The ones I have had experience with wouldn't even make a base for a build without accurails.

Clackamas and early series I Kimber's were very nice guns for the money, I just don't see them being any better than anything else now.

I'm with Howard on this one.

Buy a Springfield and ship it off to your favorite smith.

Have him hand fit a match barrel and bushing, a high end trigger group, FO sights, Ed brown safety, a quality extractor and a magwell.

You have now doubled the price of the gun but it is still cheaper than a full blown custom and will shoot like a champ.

Get some of the new Wilson or Tripp mags and you are in business.

For what it's worth, in production 1911's, the most accurate off-the-shelf gun I've owned is my Smith & Wesson.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Yeah but it is still just a Springfield. You will never get back your money invested if you try to sell it. A LB OTOH will be worth a lot more.

Interesting comments on the Dan Wesson. The 3 new guns I have looked at were very nice. The fit was on par with the early Kimbers. Slide to frame fit was exceptionally good. I took two of them apart to check the barrel fit. Simple test is to insert slide stop with the arm hanging down and push the slide into battery. If the arm rotates as the slide closes then you have positive barrel contact with the slide lugs.

Edited by Joe D

Thanks for the info on the DW Joe, I will have to look at them again and see what I see, maybe the latest production guns are a lot better. I am not easily impressed but I am not overly critical of production type guns either.

For those of you guys with the Trojan, what is your impression of the front strap stippling?

Thx

I was actually surprized at how functional it actually was. It doesn't look like much, but found it to be just enough grip with out being sharp obviously.

For those of you guys with the Trojan, what is your impression of the front strap stippling?

Thx

I was actually surprized at how functional it actually was. It doesn't look like much, but found it to be just enough grip with out being sharp obviously.

+1... But I still put skateboard tape over it.... ;)