Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you do ?

hopalong

Edit to add:

Please vote for one type of match (choice 1 USPSA only, choice 2 USPSA/????, Choice 3, USPSA/ICORE/IDPA)

OK time to put up or shut up !!!!

NOTICE I said WE in the description ????

As most of us know, Revolvers are cosidered the "Redheaded Stepchild" of most of the shooting sports.

I know the place to host a match capable of the number of stages mentioned and have ran it by the USPSA representative of that club. He said it's doable with lots of cooperation.

I ran out of options for the poll, but would consider a USPSA/IDPA match.

What I'm(and others) looking for is to have attendance that would tell USPSA and IDPA that even though we are a small percentage, we DESERVE more respect. !!!!

How ????

Attend this match instead of attending the USPSA and IDPA Nationals. :surprise: Basicly boycotting them (and not giving them the $$$$ they so much love to take).

What would it take ????

Much help from all the "regular" wheelgunners, with recruiting semi wheelguners and the "fraidy cat" wheelgunners (Yes I went there) :wacko:

And the other typical help (stage design, set up, ect.).

It is up to you guys to let me know. A few years back I offered to give a gun for high attendace at the USPSA nationals, I'm still trying but running out of patience. <_<

I've contacted some of the people to get this done, they seem to want to try.

Hop

Edited by hopalong

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really in favor of boycotting anything, Sam, but if somebody could ever convince USPSA to have a stand-alone Revolver Nationals, I'd be all in favor of that concept. If it didn't compete with the other divisions, and it was presented as a true national-level championship, I'll bet all kinds of shooters (guys like Leatham, Jarrett, Butler, Smith, etc.) would come out of the woodwork to shoot it. From my perspective, that's always been the whole problem with the USPSA Revolver Nationals participation levels--they schedule it right on top of the USPSA Limited Nationals, for chrissakes!

So how about an 18+ stage USPSA Revolver Nationals hosted by the place you mentioned? We already know this concept works, based on the long-term success of the Single Stack Classic in Illinois. That match was attracting hundreds of shooters before USPSA even recognized the division, and it's only gotten bigger since SS became a bona fide division. And I don't think USPSA HQ would have any objection in the slightest if somebody was actually willing to step up and run it for them the same way that Dick Heinie and Russell Cluver continue to run the SSC/SS Nationals for them. It would be a win-win situation all the way around.

(None of that patty-cake 6-round-neutral BS either, by the way.....if it's going to be a true USPSA Nationals, I would want lots of tough field courses with high round count and plenty of attack options, the same kind of courses they traditionally have at the USPSA Nationals.)

Depending on dates, time, money, etc.. - I'd definitely be up for shooting it and getting laughed at by all the Revo masters here. ;)

Now that's exactly what I'm talking about. Given a few weeks of practice time, do any of us seriously doubt that a shooter as talented and motivated as Jake D. would not show up and kick some serious butt???

I'm telling you, this is the way to show the entire membership of USPSA, and the shooting community at large, how fun it can be to shoot USPSA matches with the wheel!

I'm not really in favor of boycotting anything, Sam, but if somebody could ever convince USPSA to have a stand-alone Revolver Nationals, I'd be all in favor of that concept. If it didn't compete with the other divisions, and it was presented as a true national-level championship, I'll bet all kinds of shooters (guys like Leatham, Jarrett, Butler, Smith, etc.) would come out of the woodwork to shoot it. From my perspective, that's always been the whole problem with the USPSA Revolver Nationals participation levels--they schedule it right on top of the USPSA Limited Nationals, for chrissakes!

So how about an 18+ stage USPSA Revolver Nationals hosted by the place you mentioned? We already know this concept works, based on the long-term success of the Single Stack Classic in Illinois. That match was attracting hundreds of shooters before USPSA even recognized the division, and it's only gotten bigger since SS became a bona fide division. And I don't think USPSA HQ would have any objection in the slightest if somebody was actually willing to step up and run it for them the same way that Dick Heinie and Russell Cluver continue to run the SSC/SS Nationals for them. It would be a win-win situation all the way around.

(None of that patty-cake 6-round-neutral BS either, by the way.....if it's going to be a true USPSA Nationals, I would want lots of tough field courses with high round count and plenty of attack options, the same kind of courses they traditionally have at the USPSA Nationals.)

Now that sounds like a plan I'd be very much interested in attending! Lots of long courses with huge round counts sounds like a trip that would be worth making. 6 round neutral stages are lame anyways. What does it matter since we are all shooting 6 shots before having to reload?

Edited by T3P_Guy

I'd shoot a match like the SS Classic for us revolver guys. The SS Classic did very well long before SS was accepted by USPSA. Would be neat. Two day with a USPSA/ICORE rules/scoring mix?

Edited by Tom E

I voted yes for 1 and 2.

I would prefer 2 just because I like ICORE so much.

BUT I would love to see a stand alone revo nationals.

I know there would be other greats show up.

I would bet money Robby would be there. He won limited at the IRC a few years back.

A bet Taran would be there.

And they would be kicking our butts just like they would if we shot slide guns.

It would be great to see a revo only BIG USPSA match.

Man, im not sure, lots of wheel gunners, lots of shooting, fun in general, Cliff, moonclips flying about. Sounds like nothing but problems. :roflol: Hey, I'm in if its on my weekend off, or a day set by January so I can get vacation. Were pray tell would this most likely be at?

Hmmm, if there's some serious money, prestige, prizes you might bring out some of the big dogs. But the IRC doesn't see a lot of crossover from the top Pro ranks.

I'm all in favor of a SS type Revo Money Match to try to bring up interest.

I'd not think losing even "ALL" of 40 shooters, the top turnout, at the USPSA Nats would raise any eyebrows. And you'd then be competing with a known prestige match taking the same guys away you'd be trying to lure, so I'd not see any gain in a boycott.

But as a way to raise attention, interest or expectations it would be worth a try. And quite a hoot :cheers: !

Make it fun, interesting, tough and like the Double Tap go with a fancy theme and a few extra baubles in the course design, would help in the advertising of the match also. That might be something to consider with it also, some time from the shooting shows?

I can take getting my butt kicked by a Wheely fraidy cat.

I would love to shoot a big USPSA revolver only match (or any big USPSA match, for that matter) but I have neither the time nor inclination to travel, so unless it's somewhere very close to eastern PA I probably wouldn't be able to do it. Summer Blast is probably as good as it will ever get for me.

Also, I shoot the big ICORE matches here in PA but I have lost all interest in IDPA, even though Nationals is only 30 minutes from where I live. I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd kind of go out of my way to support something I enjoy, but I need to know scheduling way in advance (as in mid January) if I am to make any kind of travel arrangements.

Dave Sinko

+1

we would just see who would beat Jerry M and or TGO

Remember the IRC from 2006. TGO came and won Limited Div.

I might even considering sponsoring some of the match.

Edited by ffl

Carmoney,

IF that was to happen (your suggestion) I would need some volunteers to start beating the bushes right now. You up for it ????

I have talked to a board member or two, and they also mentioned the SS classic idea. I have no qualms with it and all but would have to get that OK'd by USPSA. I really would not want them meddling with the match though and let us run it the way we see it needs to be run.

My idea was to have the "Revolver Championship" and let those who want to go to the Limited/Production/Open nationals go ahead and spend that money too, but the real deal be this match. I intend to have it not conflict with any other "Major" match (Area/Nationals).

More input from the peanut gallerey. I see several folk have looked, I just hope that they all voted and not sacasticly/to skew the results.

Hop

we would just see who would beat Jerry M

Well, nobody is beating Jerry anytime soon. He continues to dominate the division against all comers. Kids from Arizona, top guns from South America, and spooks from Holland have all tried to take him down, and all have failed. (Not to mention all the rest of us regular punks.)

Still, even with the match winner pre-ordained, it would be really fun to see a true stand-alone Revo nationals with all the big names present and participating. If they had the balls to actually strap up and do it! ;)

BTW,

I'm headed out to Ft.Benning GA for that little 3-gun match they hold down there. Be back next week.

Would like to see all kinds of "Heck yeah, What do you need me to do ?"

Oh, and I have some of the BOD from USPSA checking in on this too. ;)

Hop

As is often stated the President controls all functions of national championships. Therefore you would have to convince him to allow any match to carry the name of a USPSA National Championship.

One of the considerations would be, IMO, that the match is a high quality match, ran by USPSA rules, and bring credit to our organization.

Jay Worden is the RM at the Single Stack Classic/Nationals and fills makes sure the above criteria are met. One other fly in the ointment would be any additional cost to USPSA.

I think the boycott idea is a loser. Unfortunately it might just make some happy if you went away. Remember if you do hold this match, there will not be a revolver division in the traditional nationals when they are held. This probably isn't a problem, but everyone needs to understand that.

I would try to attend/work a stand alone match if I could. I would be concerned about the continuing down turn in the economy and what impact this might have on another national championship. For this reason, I think combining it with another match would be a good situation but also incur additional expenses for motels etc. Perhaps a USPSA weekend match only would be a better idea, especially for the first match. Trying to be too ambitious the first time might just spell disaster.

I think most of you know I am a friend of the revolver and sponsored the rule changes for revolver division that are in the current rulebook. With that being said, I think you are embarking on a difficult task. I wish you luck, I think you are going to need it.

Edited by Gary Stevens

More input from the peanut gallerey. I see several folk have looked, I just hope that they all voted and not sacasticly/to skew the results.

Hop

I haven't voted, but if you are asking for feedback...

I think it's pretty shitty to suggest boycotting the IDPA and USPSA Nationals. Both of those organizations make it possible for there to BE revolver competitions for people to shoot...on any given weekend and within driving distance of where people live.

What else do you got?? If I want to shoot a wheelie, there is no ICORE close. I do have one monthly match of Steel Challenge and one of NRA/Bianchi...ONLY one, in the whole state.

I was in the room at the USPSA Nationals when the Revolver division got shafted at the awards. I know where you are coming from. But, hey...it wasn't just you guys. I got the shaft too. I was 10th in production...and they only awarded to 8 that year. Then, I should have been top Master...but they skipped on past 9th-16th...and gave that award to somebody else. OK...whatever...just a plaque. Then we head to the prize table and find out that they pulled off a couple of gun certificates ...that were expressly given to be on the Production table...and put them on the Limited table. Again, whatever...I wasn't shooting for prizes.

I'm just wanting to point out that y'all ain't as special as you might think. Many of us have a good reason to gripe...if we wanted to. :)

If you want a Revolver match...do like you are doing...get folks to step up and make it happen. But, make it attractive and inclusive...not a showdown.

If it were me...I'd try damn hard to go back-to-back with the Single Stack Classic/Nationals. I don't know if that would float with the Match organizers or not. But, I do think it would be a good fit.

It would be great to have an official USPSA Revo Champs, but at this time I doubt if it would be viable.

More likely start it as the SS Champs did and strive to bring it to prominence and a fusing with an official USPSA event the same as the SS accomplished.

A gimmick, or hook to set it apart from the norm would help. Remember it took the SS years to get there. Would an IPSC vs USPSA event be such a gimmick? A Pro-Am?

The organizers of the SS probably had more to do with its success than anything, they originally tapped into the IDPA type discontent with USPSA and parlayed that into a viable match. It will take a group of dedicated, strong willed and patient individuals to pull it off. It remains the elusive element, finding a group and club willing to stake it.

I am addicted to shooting IPSC, I get excited about all of the Divisions. The reason I keep gravitating back to Revo is the friendships our small cadre have developed. As the group expands and interest increases that will be lost, except to those of us who were in it. Then hopefully we can sit back and think we had a "little" bit to do with its ultimate success.

For better or worse, I'd not like to be involved in a Boycott either. I have too much respect and reverance for our sport to do that.

Hop's been trying at the Mississippi Classic and I tried it at the Sunflower Classic to increase the Revo turnout within an overall USPSA event while we both have had limited success it still fell short. Carmoney was involved in an Iowa SS/Revo Only match with better success than Hop and I had. So maybe that is a sign that it can work.

Maybe stop thinking in terms of Championships, let the participants bring that up on their own, and start thinking in terms of a big USPSA Revo Only Match. Being successful at that and then using it to springboard participation at all levels of USPSA Tournaments.