Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New .38 Super shooter

Hello,

After being away for several years due to work, I am getting back into the IPSC game and have recently bought a very nice .38 Super Open Gun.

I had kept all my loading equipment so I don't have to start over there. I ordered dies and bullets for the 'new' .38 Super and wll begin working up loads this weekend, hopefully, weather permitting. I'm new to the Super and Open guns, but have been reading as much as possible about the round and loading for it. I have three powders to begin with. Two I already had, (N350 and SR 7625) and I bought some SR 4756 based on recommendations in this .38 Super loading forum. I bought a 1000 MG 124 JHPs, also based on a general consensus of this being a good bullet.

If I run into trouble I'll be back looking for help. Also thanks in advance for all the information I have already gleaned here and perhaps I will be able to contribute here in the future.

Lynn

Edited by 964

My personal opinion is that you already own the 2 best powders out there for MY open gun.

3N37 and 3N38 would be in there too.

I've burned a lot of 3N37 and it's alright too.

But I always come back to N-350.

Works with 115's to 125's.

Don't know about anything heavier.

FM

• 3 weeks later...
VV 105 works the comp better than 4756 and is ALOT cleaner. 4756 is ALOT cheaper and ALOT easier to find.

Re: cleanliness, my experience is 180 degrees from yours. 4756 is the cleanest load I've ever shot (in a long line of relatively clean loads). N105 leaves some unburned granules here and there, and generally looks pretty dirty after 100 or so rounds... 4756, I could run 500 rounds, and all I'd have is a fine soot on the feed ramp, basically... ;)

Thanks guys for all the powder and load advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Lynn

Same experience with SR4756 - 9.0 under a 124 JHP. Burns clean. Been using it for years.

Just yesterday I fired a few test loads with MG 115's and N350. I've still got some work to do though because at 7.6gr I'm still not at major PF. Based on yesterdays results, I'll most likely need about 8 to 8.2 grains. This is in a 5" Trubore.

The dot seems to track straighter than the Longshot load I've been using but, at only about 158 PF, it's still too early to make any real comparisons. It does seem to be MUCH cleaner than Longshot though.

Thomas

• 1 year later...

Just yesterday I fired a few test loads with MG 115's and N350. I've still got some work to do though because at 7.6gr I'm still not at major PF. Based on yesterdays results, I'll most likely need about 8 to 8.2 grains. This is in a 5" Trubore.

The dot seems to track straighter than the Longshot load I've been using but, at only about 158 PF, it's still too early to make any real comparisons. It does seem to be MUCH cleaner than Longshot though.

Thomas

With N350, a great powder, in .38 Super with no barrel ports try 8.6gr with a 115gr, and about 7.8 with a 124gr. Add Barrel ports, go up two tenths on either. Not quite as soft as 7625, but a bit flatter, meters great, not temp sensitive, consistent...it works well. This is really a nice load without ports in the barrel, but add ports and you might want to go with something that requires a larger charge and produces a lot more gas volume.

True, didn't notice it either. But even I got some info out of the posts that followed, so I'm okay with my lack of observation in this case. Thanks for making us aware!

Yeah, I was just teasin'....not that much has changed since then :-) R,