Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Handed SHooter?

leam

One of the folks on the NRA instructor's list came up with a question; "Recommended pistol for a one handed shooter?" The concern with racking a semi-auto is muzzle direction. My initial suggestion was to get a 1911 type with one of the handles the Open gun shooters use. Any better ideas? SHooter is left handed and willing to work hard at doing things right. A 1911 allows the most customization, far as I can tell.

Leam

I feel that a revolver with moonclips (S&W 625) is a better choice. No malfunction drills to worry about. Moonclipped revolver cartridges can certainly be emergency reloaded one handed just as quickly as can be done with any auto. And in my case I have always been a much more accurate shooter when shooting strong or weak hand with the revolver as opposed to the auto.

Dave Sinko

Thanks leam, I never thought about posting here.

The student was a surprise to me. I offered him help but he did fine. Student in question asked about left handed pistols. I did some searching and came up with the Charter Southpaw and CZ-85 which has both ambidextrous slide release and safety. it also features an extended mag release.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A 1911 with a GI style rear sight or some other rear sight cut to have a large vertical surface on the front edge. Used with a Kydex holster it should be good. The sight will allow the slide to be racked by hooking it on the clothing of the shooter or any firm surface and shoving the gun forward should it malfunction, the kydex holster will always stay open allowing the gun to be holstered with the slide locked back and a fresh magazine inserted. A GI type recoil system is also a great recommendation.

The 1911 is probably the best single handed gun out there, especially so for a left hand person.

We had a one handed shooter at our monthly plate matches. He turned his STI upside down and while using the table against his sites was able to rack the gun for unloading and reloading. He was quite good at it and was able to clear jams this way also.

Bill

I am a lefty, and I just got a M&P from smith and wesson. This is the most lefty friendly gun I have owned. It has the slide release on both sides already from the factory, and the mag release is switchable to the right side of the gun very easily.

Tom

A few years ago I shot USPSA matches with a guy that had only one hand, it was his right hand. He was amazing. He used a 1911 with a slide racker and had a belt slide similar to the North Mountain Moon Clip Holder. His was set up with slots that held single stack magazines in a vertical position. When he dropped a magazine he just placed the 1911 over one of the loaded vertical magazines pushed it down and slid it out of the slot forward and continued firing. I never saw him come close to breaking the 180 either.

I didn't know him personally and did not witness him clearing a malfunction. It was an eye opener to watch him shoot.

There is a guy that shoots in Wildwood FL that uses an XD I think. Someone made him a spring retention tray that fits on his belt and holds his mags. He drops the mag, then puts the gun over the mag that is standing straight up and then seats it. If he has a malfunction he uses the rear sight against his holster to rack the slide.

A friend of mine lost his right arm just above the elbow. He shoots 1911’s for the most part, and uses the rear sight for racking. For reloading he turns his body and tucks the pistol under the remainder of his right arm reloads then grabs the gun and turns back to face the targets. I’ve got a video of him shooting two TX stars, I’ll have to give him a call to see if he’d mind if I posted it.

Just a thought- HK pistols are ambi and not hard to rack.

<minor drift>A few years back I raced with a guy with one arm...he had all the controls on one side of his handlebar which was also cut in half. Where there's a will there's a way. And then Lance Armstrong beat all those guys with one...uhh...kiwi. :surprise: </drift off>

Edited by hk_mtbr

During a defensive pistol course, we had to go through drills reloading one handed. One thing that worked for many was to drop the mag then holster, grab a new mag, insert it into the gun from behind, draw the gun and rack it on the holster or your leg using the rear sight to load. What worked well for me was to rack the slide and lock it back before holstering.

Not elegant, but with people doing the same thing on both sides of you and a set of instructors watching like hawks, you made darn sure you didn't cover yourself or anyone else with the muzzle. A real learning experience!

The real fun came when they made us clear jams one-handed.

....had a belt slide similar to the North Mountain Moon Clip Holder. His was set up with slots that held single stack magazines in a vertical position. When he dropped a magazine he just placed the 1911 over one of the loaded vertical magazines pushed it down and slid it out of the slot forward and continued firing. ...

I thought they only did that in the movies.

Is a set up like that competition legal? If it is why doesn't everyone use it? It's got to be the fastest way to reload, at least in Hollywood.

Roy

How big are his hands? Mine are medium, and I can cycle a Beretta and a Glock by gripping from the side and closing my hand. It's hard to describe, but the thumbtip goes under the beavertail, the pinky/ring wrap around the slide as far forward as possible, and then you squeeze the hell out of it. Takes practice, but becomes very fast.

H.

....had a belt slide similar to the North Mountain Moon Clip Holder. His was set up with slots that held single stack magazines in a vertical position. When he dropped a magazine he just placed the 1911 over one of the loaded vertical magazines pushed it down and slid it out of the slot forward and continued firing. ...

I thought they only did that in the movies.

Is a set up like that competition legal? If it is why doesn't everyone use it? It's got to be the fastest way to reload, at least in Hollywood.

Roy

Maybe in Hollywood, but a two handed reload wins because you're retrieving and positioning the next mag while waiting for the first to fall.

H.

Open Open Open Open. Get a couple mags tuned for 30 and you're off to the races. As I understand it the arm is still there so a prosthetic device would be easy to make work with a slide racker. A couple vertical mounted mags on the belt and it's a done deal.

Edited by JThompson

A few years ago I shot USPSA matches with a guy that had only one hand, it was his right hand. He was amazing. He used a 1911 with a slide racker and had a belt slide similar to the North Mountain Moon Clip Holder. His was set up with slots that held single stack magazines in a vertical position. When he dropped a magazine he just placed the 1911 over one of the loaded vertical magazines pushed it down and slid it out of the slot forward and continued firing. I never saw him come close to breaking the 180 either.

I didn't know him personally and did not witness him clearing a malfunction. It was an eye opener to watch him shoot.

This guy is probably from Louisiana, shoots the Gator Classic and I ususally see him at A4. If I'm not mistaken he's a "B" class shooter. He really is amazing to watch, and inspirational. Like we got something to bitch about.

We had a guy with one arm shoot with us back in Sweden. He was shooting open and had the mags vertically, like mentioned above, and a slide racker that he just pushed against his belt.

I'd recommend open, since you can have large mags (fewer reloads) and it would be easier to use a slide racker to rack the slide rather than using the sights.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic.

I had never really thought about one handed reloads until I was taking a carbine course. Instructor set up a couple of targets, told us to load 3 mags with 5 rounds each. He then said 'Your weak arm just got blown off. Engage the targets, and reload when neccessary.' The class came up with all kinds of ways to get that done, some not so safe. It was even more ... ahem, challenging when he said 'Same drill, WEAK hand this time!' Holy moly.... I had rarely shot an AR15 with my left hand, never one handed, never mind reloading with only my left hand!

That was a real eye opener. Ever since, I always try to figure out safe ways to operate my handguns and rifles with either hand AND one handed.