Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do deer move in the rain?

I'm trying to decide whether I'm going hunting tomorrow. It's going to rain in the morning and then change to snow in the afternoon. I was going to go out and be in my deer stand before sunrise. However, I'm wondering if the deer will be moving in the rain. I think they will probably be more active in the late afternoon with the cold and snow....but I have NO KNOWLEDGE to make that claim....just a hunch.

Can someone in the know throw me a bone?

Edited by Calamity Jane

Depends,

on and off rain before a cold front. YEP

Steady rain before a cold front. NOT normally.

PM me and we'll talk about it. I saw 10 this morning. One nice buck but he was a little too far for a bow shot. <_< Edit here (Oh, and it was raining lightly off and on)

Hop

Edited by hopalong

I'll let you know tomorrow, it's raining here and forcast for tomorrow, gun season opens tomorrow. I had a small 6 point under me opening day of blackpowder season and my gun misfired and I have seen him twice more. My problem is it is peanut harvesting time so the deer all moved last week.

I sure hope they do, because I'll also be in the woods all day tomorrow.

Deer around here seem to move well in a light rain. The thing to watch is the barometer. Once it hits 30.0 and keeps rising, it's time to go hunting for sure.

Just to clarify the weather concern...here is my forecast for tomorrow

Tonight: rain. Lows around 40. North winds 5 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 90 percent.

Saturday: breezy, cloudy. Rain showers likely until midday, then chance of rain showers and snow showers in the afternoon. Little or no snow accumulation. Highs in the lower 40s. North winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Ya know, you just never know. That's why they call it hunting instead of killing. I've been out in some truly wonderful weather and haven't seen a damn thing. Also been out in some hellacious weather and seen plenty.

The only thing I DO know is that you WON'T know if you're kickin' back laying down in bed. ;) As the saying goes, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

If it was me, I'd bundle up, make sure I was going to be dry and warm, and just see what shows up. Absolute worst case is that you get to sit out in the woods in a rain and listen to nature's melody.

Depending on the density of hunters, rifle season opening could have the greatest effect on deer movement. All those hunters hitting the woods at the same time can cause huge amounts of movement by the deer. If hunting in a secluded private hunting area, it may have not effect at all.

If the deer are in full rut or post rut, you could see movement all day. This greatly depends on the deer population in your area. If there is lots of breeding competition, look out. Damn deer can practically run you over if in the right spot. If very little to no competition, you still will see some movement.

IMO, around this time of year those are your two biggest factors, not the weather. Look for small openings within large cover areas, breeding grounds. Some place with a lot or deer trail convergence.

Deer don't like it. I have seen a few deer in pouring rain, but you must remember, the rain and high winds take away one of their primary defenses....hearing. It also hinders their number one defense, smell.

It's my belief they would rather stay holed up in a safe place and wait for better conditions.

It's my belief they would rather stay holed up in a safe place and wait for better conditions.

Which creates perfect stalking weather.

I have taken 4 deer with my bow while stalking, it is the ultimate way to hunt.

BTW, got one turkey stalking too, with a bow of course.

OK, I am a patient sneaky MF

Which creates perfect stalking weather.

I have taken 4 deer with my bow while stalking, it is the ultimate way to hunt.

BTW, got one turkey stalking too, with a bow of course.

OK, I am a patient sneaky MF

My Defense, Being 400 yards away. :ph34r:

I was in my deer stand at sunrise with a loaded shot gun across my lap, steady rain, cold, windy....no deer were seen.

I've decided YOU CAN hunt in the rain but in the future I'm choosing not to do so. Cold...OK...windy...OK...snow...OK.... steady rain...NO GO.

I don't have the right equipment to keep me dry in a tree stand...nuff said. ;)

I was in my deer stand at sunrise with a loaded shot gun across my lap, steady rain, cold, windy....no deer were seen.

I've decided YOU CAN hunt in the rain but in the future I'm choosing not to do so. Cold...OK...windy...OK...snow...OK.... steady rain...NO GO.

I don't have the right equipment to keep me dry in a tree stand...nuff said. ;)

That sux, but at least you were out there!!!