Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Super Target?

Duane Thomas

Out at the Factory Nationals, in 95 degree heat with an adjusted for humidity 110 degree temperature index, my .45 ACP Titegroup loads chronoed at 171.2. At Area One in cold, drizzly weather they chronoed 170 and some change. Can't ask for more consistency than that! Still, I'm having some people seriously recommend Winchester Super Target to me as a .45 powder since they say it's much softer shooting than Titegroup. Any thoughts on that? Any experiences with WST's consistency over different temperature ranges, etc.? Recommended loads for a 200-gr. SWC at 1.250" OAL?

I would be interested in hearing about anyone's experience with loading WST as a Major load in 40 (with 180's).

And Titegroup, for that matter.

(DT, I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your post.  I'd like to learn more about WST and TG.)

I have been shooting WST pretty much in my 45..and found it to be clean, pretty soft and stable..more so than 231. I am getting ready to work up some loads with a copper wash bullet that I found hiding under my bench..so I will try some temperature test when I get the chance...otherwise..I have had good experience with it..I can;t compare it to titegroup as haven't tried that..

I got some data somewhere on 155 JHP with WST in the .40, That was also very stable in temperature..and altitude..

For .45, way back when I shot it, WW dropped 542AA which was "the" .45 powder at the time, so I tried WST and totally loved it!  It burned clean, made major nicely, and the recoil was about half that of 231.  I'd use it again If I started shooting big bore....

Hey!  I found my loads!!!!  I used 5.2 gr under a 200 gr. lead swc, and 5.7 gr. under a 180 gr lead swc.  This was all 181 to 188 pf.

You mean 452AA, don't you?  I shot it for years.  WST is their replacement for 452AA.  I shot 5.3 under a 200 gr H&G 68.  made major, very soft recoil, very clean.  I will start using it again when I use up the last pound of my 231.

No data for .40.

4.5 of WST & Win LP under a 200 gr SWC OAL 1.250 and a heavey crimp. gave me 825-830 FPS out of a old colt barrel,  need to re-chrono now that I have a Briley that shoots the same load GREAT! Shot a 8 round 2 inch group @ 25 yards goofing around with head shots yesterday. Was a little surprised to walk up and find one large hole.

4.0 grains of WST under a 230gr RN lead bullet to 1.26 OAL makes a very consistent 750 fps and 170pf in my 5" STI Trojan.

It shoots clean and soft and I really like it.

I just tried Titegroup in .40 and found it to be very clean too.  I need to work up a .40 load with WST and do some comparing.

Quote: from Duane Thomas on 2:03 pm on July 29, 2002

Still, I'm having some people seriously recommend Winchester Super Target to me as a .45 powder since they say it's much softer shooting than Titegroup. Any thoughts on that? Any experiences with WST's consistency over different temperature ranges, etc.?

My current IPSC 10mm load is a 200gr plated bullet with WST.  The load isn't as soft as my 220gr loads with Clays or N320, but it's pretty damned soft.  I also had a WST load with a 170gr LSWC, which of course was much snappier.

I have found WST to be somewhat inversely pressure sensitive.  That is, as temperature increses, the loads seem to become softer.  It seems to be a pretty small variation, though.  I had someone suggest to me recently that some of the temperature sensitivity that I have seen with WST and Clays may be due to the large amount of air in my loads--I'm loading out to 1.260" in 10mm.  

Lincoln

Titegroup......Excellent in a bunch of calibers with super low SD's. Cheap and meters well. It does have an impressive report a direct result of it's 37% nitro content, but does so with nearly zero flash. Good overall propellant but to snappy for competition IMHO.

WST......Softest shooting in it's speed range (only Clays is softer when comparing 125 PF loads). Meters well with some flash especially in Revolvers. The best 165 PF propellant for competition IMHO.....

I load 4.6 WST under a Star 180 FP that shoots 168 PF from a Kimber Stainless Target 40....your milegage may differ.

TR  

"(DT, I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your post.  I'd like to learn more about WST and TG.)"

Nah, no problemo.

Still haven't gotten a good 200-gr. LSWC load with WST. What, you're gonna make me look in the loading manual?

Guest bulm5

Thanks Tree Rat, I might tyr this powder. curretnly using V v 320 but the powder is not always available through gunstore.

I guess I am a bit late, but here goes. I have been using WST exclusively in my .45 for 2 years. I have gone to V V powders in my .40 and super, but nothing can compare to WST in my .45. Very, very, soft and clean. I make 165 PF with a 200 grain swc loaded to an OAL of 1.245 with 4.5 grains. I like it a lot.

If you really want soft, and don't mind a somewhat sluggish impulse (push as compared to snap) try WST with a 230 RNL.

I've been using WST in my .45 kimber for quite some time. It is soft and clean meters well and is pretty clean burning. I was running 5.6gr with a 185gr lswc. it consistanty made a 168pf.   I also tried 4.2gr(i think) of clays with a 200gr lswc.  talk about soft.

Erik-

• 2 weeks later...

Never tried it in 10mm but in the 38Super it is way to fast for Maj PF. In 38Supr try Super Field and 135gr or heavier projectiles (lead). I don't have loads but the Winchester Manual is a good START point.

10mm.

The winchester book lists the following.

200gr lead 5.0gr WST 940fps = 188pf

180gr jhp 5.5gr WST 1010fps = 182pf