Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA vs. SASS Membership levels

peacemaker25

Here's what I can't figure out. USPSA has about 17,000 members. SASS, on the other hand, has over 80,000. Whenever people talk about competition shooting, one of their major beefs is with the cost of the equipment. And yet, the entry level requirements for USPSA are half what they are for SASS.

Basics Production Rig:

Used G17: $400

Instructor Belt: $40

Cheap kydex holster: $18

Ditto Pouches: $25

Total: $483.

Basic SASS Rig:

Pair of used Blackhawks: $600

Rossi '92: $400

Old Stevens 311 SxS: $250

El Cheapo leather: $150

Total: $1400

Also, SASS is full of former IPSC shooters. Was founded by former IPSC shooters. Yet, I think it's rare for anyone to migrate the other way. Personally, I got hooked by competitive shooting in SASS, and was curious (like the USPSA ad in the SASS magazine says) to see what I could do with more modern stuff.

I'm sure that there may be a marketing person in the crowd who might explain things to me a bit better.

~~~Jesse

Here's what I can't figure out. USPSA has about 17,000 members. SASS, on the other hand, has over 80,000. Whenever people talk about competition shooting, one of their major beefs is with the cost of the equipment. And yet, the entry level requirements for USPSA are half what they are for SASS.

Basics Production Rig:

Used G17: $400

Instructor Belt: $40

Cheap kydex holster: $18

Ditto Pouches: $25

Total: $483.

Basic SASS Rig:

Pair of used Blackhawks: $600

Rossi '92: $400

Old Stevens 311 SxS: $250

El Cheapo leather: $150

Total: $1400

Also, SASS is full of former IPSC shooters. Was founded by former IPSC shooters. Yet, I think it's rare for anyone to migrate the other way. Personally, I got hooked by competitive shooting in SASS, and was curious (like the USPSA ad in the SASS magazine says) to see what I could do with more modern stuff.

I'm sure that there may be a marketing person in the crowd who might explain things to me a bit better.

~~~Jesse

My take is that most of SASS is more about a social event than anything else. In your cost break down above, you left out the cost of the clothing. By the time you add in shooting clothes, an after the match get up, and an outfit for the Governor's Ball, you have easily added another $1000.00 to the cost. If you look at their newsletter, it is 10 times as large as Front Sight and the majority of the ads are for clothing.

USPSA matches also have a gun culture component which is frankly what I enjoy most about it. But the cowboys made their mark from the beginning about the "event" rather than the competiton and it appears to me that for many of that group, they only shoot in order to get to go to the overall event.

The two sports attract different sorts of people and I do not think that the SASS takes anything away from USPSA and vice versa. I also believe that the top dogs from either sport can cross over and quickly be a top dog there as well. I have several friends that shoot cowboy but if you ask them, when they hear a window break in the house in the middle of the night, the 45 army is not what they reach for.

By the same token if you have a Production, Limited, SS and Open gun what is the cost? Or for 3 Gun, pistol, rifle and shotgun plus associated gear for each. It is all relative, both are shooting sports that appeal to different people. It is still about nice guns no matter which one you choose.

I suspect that my former number is counted in that 80K number, but since I haven't renewed or shot a match in years, it doesn't mean much. USPSA does not re-issue numbers and I don't believe SASS does either.

I know SASS is very popular, for reasons already discussed here, but comparing numbers can be difficult at best. I have no idea of what the real active member numbers of SASS might be.

My take is that most of SASS is more about a social event than anything else. In your cost break down above, you left out the cost of the clothing. By the time you add in shooting clothes, an after the match get up, and an outfit for the Governor's Ball, you have easily added another $1000.00 to the cost. If you look at their newsletter, it is 10 times as large as Front Sight and the majority of the ads are for clothing.

USPSA matches also have a gun culture component which is frankly what I enjoy most about it. But the cowboys made their mark from the beginning about the "event" rather than the competiton and it appears to me that for many of that group, they only shoot in order to get to go to the overall event.

The two sports attract different sorts of people and I do not think that the SASS takes anything away from USPSA and vice versa. I also believe that the top dogs from either sport can cross over and quickly be a top dog there as well. I have several friends that shoot cowboy but if you ask them, when they hear a window break in the house in the middle of the night, the 45 army is not what they reach for.

I guess I'm a touch blinded by the crew of "gamers" (as the more fiercely competitive types are known on that side of the fence) that I tend to hang with. While I, (and they) enjoy the dress up and socializing parts, as well as the shooting parts, I don't tend to mix the two. Example: even though I've got all the fancy duds for the banquets and such at the big matches, my shooting gear is as simple and function oriented as possible.

At any rate, I'm trying to test that theory of "seasoned competitors making the transition easily." I won the Ohio State Championship this year in SASS, but just shot my third ever USPSA match this weekend.

So far, I've identified a number of points to work on. RELOADS! Especially in Single Stack. Shooting on the move, instead of the "sprint-plant your feet-then blast," theory. Don't aim at the whole target, as there are these pesky little things called "points." FINGER! And not looking for a rifle when I see a target further away than ten yards. Gonna be interesting.

~~~Jesse

.....SASS is full of former IPSC shooters. ....

This will be even more true when we aren't allowed to own certain guns and accessories anymore. :mellow:

I've gone to a couple of SASS events, looks like fun to me. A little over-board on the clothing, acting, but that's part of the fun for most people.

SASS offers escapism. Seems to be a vaction from real-life every time you go to a meet. People like vacations.

I suspect that my former number is counted in that 80K number, but since I haven't renewed or shot a match in years, it doesn't mean much. USPSA does not re-issue numbers and I don't believe SASS does either.

I know SASS is very popular, for reasons already discussed here, but comparing numbers can be difficult at best. I have no idea of what the real active member numbers of SASS might be.

I'm an IDPA member and never shot a match, FWIW.

I have:

STI Edge from Brazos (hard chromed with tuning)

STI Trubore

STI Trojan

STI Tactical 5.0

STI Eagle 5.0

Cost has nothing to do with where my memberships are. Don't ask how much I have in 511 pants or shooters shirts. I shoot USPSA because I enjoy the rush of the shooting. I have not shot an IDPA match because there aren't any close to me. I have no desire to shoot cowboy action stuff.

I may be off base, but I see one as more of an activity and one as more of a competition.
SASS is a social group for playing cowboy. The shooting is only part of it.

I think Sharonane and Flex have nailed it.

SASS is more of a social activity than the competiton that USPSA/IPSC is.

JK

What Gary said. USPSA has issued up past 60K numbers so use that in your comparisons instead of the current membership of ~17K.

You also missed the cost of the clothing that seems to be required for SASS. I remember watching Shooting USA or one of those programs and the boots and hat that the host bought cost more than my first car. :wacko:

And the wife makes fun of my for my $50 TechWear shirt.

I shoot SASS (not lately), and you forgot to add the cost of the gun cart and the duds. $1400 isn't even close.

It's a lot of fun and if you really get into it, the competition is fierce.

Last weekend at a USPSA match, I had my wallet open while paying the match fee and a guy sees my SASS card and barks out my SASS handle and asks where the rest of my guns are. :lol:

The main difference for me is:

When I shoot SASS my brain doesn't explode from trying to figure how my score is going.

Every match I have been to posts results. Just shoot, have fun, check the results when you are finished for the day.

It is NOT tough to figure out hit factors or you MUST know up-to-the-minutes results tho. If you ask an experienced shooter in your squad, they will help you for sure.

I guess I'm a touch blinded by the crew of "gamers" (as the more fiercely competitive types are known on that side of the fence) that I tend to hang with. While I, (and they) enjoy the dress up and socializing parts, as well as the shooting parts, I don't tend to mix the two. Example: even though I've got all the fancy duds for the banquets and such at the big matches, my shooting gear is as simple and function oriented as possible.

Jesse:

In USPSA we do not allow anyone to call anyone else a "Gamer" unless they smile when they say it.

And actually if I tried to leave the house with fancy dress up gear to go to a match, my wife might make sure the house was empty when I returned.

Jesse:

In USPSA we do not allow anyone to call anyone else a "Gamer" unless they smile when they say it.

I think this is the Jesse that shot with me last Saturday (Circleville?). If so, we probably covered that gamer thing pretty well. :)

We have SASS shooters that shoot at our club. Big time social event and dress-up. They do as much talking as they do shooting, which isn't bad, but when I have to setup the next day for an IPSC match I want them to get off the range. I'm trying to figure out why a guy was shooting an SASS match at our club dressed up as a knight? As for the social aspect, SASS reminds me of the blackpowder rendezvous and I hear it is really family friendly.

My girlfriend was telling me that she might want to try SASS, I told her I'd buy her an open gun if she changed her mind. Worked, but I didn't give her a time frame and it doesn't mean I won't use it.

Well I don't know about the membership levels but they are both very much about the shooting. The difference is that the bottom 40% at a SASS match can still have fun even know they are not in contention. At the highest levels cowboy action shooting is every bit as challenging as USPSA is if not more so, 3 types of guns and re-holsters. I shoot both, and like both. I am just getting back into the USPSA shooting recently but I am a regional champion in cowboy action shooting.

I started many years ago in IPSC and got turned off by the elitist attitude of many of the shooters. I started competing again in SASS events 6 years ago due to the family friendly nature of the sport. My wife, son, and daughter all shoot as well and the kids were 9 and 11 when we started. All were welcomed with open arms.

In my opinion if you look at both objectively they both have a lot to offer. Many of the top SASS shooters have been or are still pretty well thought of in the USPSA circles.

And for those who might be willing to give it a try, come on out sometime SASS is a friendly bunch too.

:)

In our area we have no active IPSC club, had a rare IDPA shoot several yrs back but no more. The only active club is the SASS club. When I first joined I had a little trouble with the costuming because I was there to shoot and compete. Make no mistake, many of us are there for the competition. Trigger time is good time, is my motto.

Part of the difference is that SASS does have those other aspects, folks who want to dress up and talk are encouraged to do it, folks who want to compete and shoot fast are also welcome, the relatively new buckaroo division is attractice to youngsters as well, there are also lots of age based and shooting style based catagories, kind of a built in handicap system you can utilize if you like.

I wish we had more USPSA events nearby cause I would do that as well.

Cheers

Doc

The costuming can be darn cheap if you so choose. A used pair of jeans with bachelor buttons you hammer in. A pair of packer boots, a felt hat and a henley shirt . Probably set you back $150 and you can use the shirt, shoes and hat for anything else and the whole outfit for a reserve holloween costume in a pinch.

Edited by JoeLaFives