Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 or M&P Pro ?

el pres

I'm in the same place as you but I never owned a Glock yet (2011,XD,) and really want to try

one out in competition. The angle is the same thing thats throwing me off and I dont want to

regret my decision with purchase of mags, pouches, holster, etc.. I'm just not totaly sold on a S&W auto yet ??

I really like the trigger on the Glock !!

I've found myself pondering the same question the last couple of months. I have a Glock 34 and have shot it for a while with some success, and my only real complaint about it is its lack of any kind of real beavertail to keep my hand from being bitten by the slide. Other than that the thing is super reliable and more than accurate enough for IPSC shooting, and the slide bite thing is nothing a little tape cannot cure. In addition, I have tons of mags for it, I have access to parts, and I just love the thing.

On the other hand the M&P Pro and L versions are pretty nice. I was fortunate enough to win a 9L at a match earlier this year and I had not been shooting it because I was figuring out if I wanted to sell it or keep it. Well, the other day I was at the range practicing and I happened to have the 9L with me. I had a couple hundred rounds left and I thought I would shoot it a bit and see what I thought. I have to say I was fairly impressed. The doggone thing pointed and handled really well, it shot pretty soft, and it was accurate enough. After a few runs my times with it were comparable to what I was doing with my Glock 34. And best of all I did not need to tape my hand to keep from getting bit by the slide.

So now I find myself with two nice pistols and a decision to make about which one to shoot. Despite how well the 9L shot I am leaning towards the Glock 34 for the following reasons:

1. I cannot find mags for the M&P where on the other hand that is not a problem with the Glock....any of them.

2. I shot several loads through the 9L and though they shot ok out of it, the Glock 34 shoots them a bit better.

3. What can I say...I just like Glocks

Even though I'll probably be sticking with the Glock 34, I do like the M&P 9L and would not hesitate to recommend it to someone getting into practical shooting, particularly Production Division.

One vote for the M&P. I've been using mine since August 2007 and I love it. Yes, the cost of mags are a little high and sometimes hard to find but it is a great pistol. I've seen a lot of Glockers out there and they do well but I'm like a lot of others out there, I can't get used to the grip on a Glock.

if you shoot a 1911 and have big hands you may find that the glock slide bites your hand (which is a bummer and can make a fella flinchy)

I bled all over my brand new G34 for three weeks and sold it.

I have a G21 in the safe that is big enough to prevent this from happening, same deal with my XDs (no problem)

If you have regular sized hands or lady hands you probably wont have any problems.

I think if the two I would get a G34 if it fit. There are parts galore out there and you can run a 22 conversion if you want to

Well, which one and why ??

I recommend the M&P.

The two are similar enough so that it really comes down to ergonomics... With the Glock, most people cite the grip angle as their primary complaint, but for me the bigger frustration is the grip shape. No matter how much I work my hand into place around that grip, I just can't seem to find a comfortable position with no gaps and pressure points. Then I grab my M&P, and it just feels... perfect.

Another possible consideration though (coming from someone that's owned a couple of Glocks and M&Ps) is that in my experience Glocks seems to have better quality control, better accuracy, and higher muzzle velocities. But let's face it: most of us are willing to invest a little time and money into getting our competition guns just right anyway. So considering that S&W will take care of you and get your M&P right if you have any issues, and a Storm Lake barrel gets the accuracy and velocity levels even better than a factory Glock, then really it's all back to ergonomics again. And for me, that mean M&P all the way.

Edited by Xfactor

I was at the same crossroad a few weeks ago. I shoot a M&P 40 with reduced PF loads in the Production division. The trigger was done by Dan Burwell, and I installed Warren rear sights and a Dawson FO front. I really like the M&P and was leaning toward the 9L. After doing some due dilligence, extensively talking with Vluc & Pharoah Bender I decided on the Glock for a number of reasons over the M&P 9L.

These were the points that I discovered when I sat down and thought about pros & cons to each pistol. I'm not bashing the M&P. As I stated I own one and think it is a great platform. Just food for thought. Truth be told, the simplicity of the Glock and availability of parts at reasonable cost is what sold me on the Glock along with the Glock reputation.

Here are my reasons:

As of this post, the 9L is not on the NROI approved list. I'm told that it will be "some time in the 1st quarter of 09, maybe".

Mags and other accessories are as rare as hens teeth for the M&P. When you do find mags they are at a premium price ($30-$35 ea)

Although Dan Burwell does excellent trigger work on the M&P, however, I can do the trigger work on the GLock - either by polishing per the "25 cent trigger job" or buying a legal Vanek drop in, or a combination of parts. I do not have to ship the Glock to and from a pistol smith.

I can put together a spare parts kit to keep in my range bag in the event any basic part goes south during a match. That option for the M&P doesn't exist yet.

Granted the M&P is the new kid on the block and Glocks have been around for some time but aftermarket parts for the Glock are readily available - aftermarket parts are starting to trickle out for the M&P but not to the extent of the Glock.

The G34 fits my hand & points as well as my M&P 40.

I worked several major matches this year. The Glock in 9mm seemed to be the gun of choice for the Production Division.

If I choose to do so, I can puchase a 22 conversion upper to help defray rising ammo costs.

There are several people that shoot Glocks in my area. They are willing to share their experiences of what not to do regarding mods, loads, etc.

The G34 I purchased (NIB) was about $35 less than the 9L. The G34 was in stock - the 9L was not.

Mike

I like the ergonomics of the M&P better but I shoot the Glock more accurately, and since I can't decide which one I like best, I shoot an SP-01 in Production; go figure...

I find it interesting that the XD is not being included in this comparison. Is the XD not a real contender on this field any longer?

M&P for me.

1. Grip angle

2. I'm a lefty and the M&P has more ambi-controls

3. I can shoot lead without changing the barrel

4. Easy DIY Trigger job

5. Free Mags + Rebates: I've bought 4 M&Ps the past 3 years (2 full size, one 9L and one Pro) and have received 8 FREE mags in addition to the 8 that came with all the guns. Smith was also running cash rebates in addition to the mags early on. My first 2 guns I got $50 rebates on each. A final price of $375 + 4 mags is hard to beat!

Mags and accessories are available from Speedshooter Specialties. Not sure what more you would need that they don't have.

Nothing wrong with owning all the above...........I won't tell anyone. Thats the benefit of production division.........just as much fun for much less coin. :cheers:

I must have 5 or 6 acceptable production pistols, but I prefer the G35/G34 in USPSA.

Besides - Glocks are like currency. A stock used Glock sells fast for sometimes near-new prices, and I have yet to see a worn out Glock pistol.

BB

M&P - US Company and US made

Glock - Not

I'm all over that !!! :cheers:

Acually I got to play with my friends M&P Pro and as soon as I put on the extra large grip insert I new

what my next gun is going to be !! On order, sould be here soon !!

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

I'm an intermediate shooter and new to this forum but wanted to share my experience in interest of the topic. I've been aiming a G17 with the common DIY mods but wanted to get a 5” gun. I was set on a G34 but put a 100 rnds through a M&P rental first before buying. Like others, I found the ergs and grip angle to be more natural so I went for the M&P Pro. I’ve put about 500 rnds through the gun but had several FTEs. There is a thread on this problem. I like the M&P and hope to get the bugs fixed ASAP but it has made me appreciate my G17 more since it has been dead reliable and maintenance is so simple. I like the fact that the slide, including the extractor, can be entirely stripped down with ease and hosed out. It's user friendly and I have total confidence in its function. In hindsight, I kind of regret not getting the G34 plus, jumping from Glock to M&P is not cheap considering $35-$40 mags and new kydex :unsure:. IMHO, if you are already dedicated to the 4" M&P then a new Pro/9L is an easy choice but if you are thinking of switching from your Glock platform just be entirely sure before you buy.

I have won two M&Ps over the last year. Both were traded for Glocks. I may be the only one that does not like the available grip inserts for the M&P. None of the three feels right to me.

I am not convinced that the MP is as durable as the Glock either - time will tell. I have worked on Glocks with over 500,000 rounds through them. If a Glock lasts that long as a rental gun then they must be durable.

Looks like LWD may have the answer on the way for those that do not like the Glock grip angle.

BTW I have been shooting my Kimber 9mm for the last couple of months. It seemed like I was shooting much better with it than my Glocks. I set up a fairly simple 16 round IDPA stage the other day just to see. I shot it 5 times each with the Kimber and G34. My times averaged 13.40 with the Kimber. I felt like I was blazing fast with the Kimber. I averaged over a second faster with the G34 even though I felt slower. When I reviewed each shot I could see where with every shot I gained a little time throughout the stage.

I sold the Kimber this week.

• 1 month later...

I believe it's in your best interest to shoot both of them and decide which one works best for you. A couple years back, I made the mistake of buying a gun based upon the opinions of others and, in the end, I was not happy with my decision and ended up selling the gun. It ended up being a painful lesson as I not only bought the gun, but I invested plently of money into additional accessories that were compatible with that particular gun. IMHO, the feedback that you'll receive from these forums are extrememly valuable, however, you have to use them as a guideline and figure out what works best for you, period. Your fellow shooters are eager to help and may provide you with an opportunity to shoot those guns or you may be able to rent them at your local range and decide for yourself.