Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range bag question

Bill in Oregon

Dumb question, I know, but I was looking at range bags at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and they have seemingly endless compartments. Whqat typically goes where?

Stuff you think you'll use most --- in the most accessible places. Ammo, mags, gun, hearing protection. Any padded compartments? Good for eyewear.....

You'll figure it out as you use it --- everyone's bag contains different stuff in different places, according to what works for us....

First you need to decide what you want/need at the range/match. Where it goes in the bag except gun/s, mags. eyes and ears is up to you. I know an individual who takes 2 full range bags to the range! You might want/need to keep ammo in a seperate bag/lockable container based on your local laws.

Ask 2 people and you will get 2 or more different answers.

Richard

Every time I get a bigger range bag, I just put more crap in it. Then I b!tch about not having enough room, so I buy a bigger range bag. Do you see the pattern here? Soon I'll be carrying a hockey bag. It just won't quit... :rolleyes:

Every time I get a bigger range bag, I just put more crap in it. And drop a nut trying to carry it! :roflol:

Then I b!tch about not having enough room, so I buy a bigger range bag. Do you see the pattern here? Soon I'll be carrying a hockey bag. You won't be carrying it, you'll be dragging it. :sight:

It just won't quit... :rolleyes:

Truth here.

I just bought the Shooters Connection Tournament Series and I do need a bigger bag - Ain't gonna happen, I'll just buy another one.

There is a certain truth to "The Crap I carry expands to fill the range bag I own" then a strange thing happens. You take your Shooters Connection bag and put the essentials into the center removable portion and carry just that. You leave the big outer bag back in your car. When you get really carried away, you get a bag for each division you shoot and more, you get one for three-gun as well. Then just as happened with your first big bag, you start to do the same with the others. Amazing how little you actually need to carry to the actual stages so long as you have the major repair parts at the range with you.

Then again, you could buy a large lawn cart and carry everything you own short of your loading press.

Jim

...Amazing how little you actually need to carry to the actual stages so long as you have the major repair parts at the range with you...

Jim

A few weeks ago I saw a guy who was only carrying around a small bucket of loose rounds. He was using the same mags for each stage.

Amazing how little you actually need to carry to the actual stages so long as you have the major repair parts at the range with you.

Jim

That makes too much sense, Jim. What if I need to overhaul my gun or mags or holster or mag pouches or need some food or drink during the COF??? :surprise:

It's amazing all the stuff that goes into a range bag for "just in case" moments. I uses to lug all that stuff around to every stage, by the end of a match, I was beat. Started to take only what was needed for the stage in my bag. The gun, mags, and a little ammo, leaving everything else in the car. I even started to bag my gun after every stage, it was easier to do walk throughs at speed, and my back was thanking me after the last stage. I like the idea of a small bag to take to stages and a larger bag for the car that contains all the stuff we might need.

To answer your question, Bill. I've got a pistol, lots of magazines, lots of ammo, spare parts that could be "easily" swapped at the range, hearing protection, eye protection, a timer, oil, rags, a couple of Clif bars, water and gatorade, tools and cleaning supplies, and at the end of the day there is a bunch of brass in there. I now go up to a stage with enough ammo for a few stages, magazines, and the pistol. I can go get my stuff in the car if I need it.

When you get really carried away, you get a bag for each division you shoot and more, you get one for three-gun as well.

Then again, you could buy a large lawn cart and carry everything you own short of your loading press.

Jim

I thought this is how everyone did it including having a belt and holster for every division. The cart is just a baby stroller.

Went from the big SC bag to the smaller Ultra, and on top of that am leaving a lot of junk in the car. Now it carries rig, mags, gun, a few lightweight sundries and drinks and lunch. Most of that ends up on and in me during the match, so the bag gets lighter. Ammo gets carried in a Dillon border switch bag or an ammo can, depending on the weather. Carried in the off side, it more than balances what's left in the bag.

When I'm especially smart, I buddy up with somebody who's got a wheeled cart/wagon (we have a couple on the range, and people bring their own as well), doing my fair share of the pulling, of course :cheers: .

spelling edit - don't think Mike Dillon would like having his name sound like some bizzare marsupial...

Edited by kevin c

I started using a back pack bag this year. With the traditional bags I was finding that the bigger the bag; the more crap I was carrying that I never used. Having a screwy back it didn't help having all the weight distributed on one side, and usually by the end of a long match I would be limping from stage to stage. Now it sits evenly on my back and the bag is smaller so I carry only what I need.

Production, single stack and revolver bags tend to be small since you do not need to carry a tool kit and all the extra parts. Limited and Open bags tend to be rather large especially if they have lots of gun problems.

Bags that stand up are better and so is a semi rigid bottom. Spray the bottom of your bag with a small can of scotch guard to water proof it.

The wife and I don't shoot matches, but we do like to target shoot. We recently picked up a bag for the range that has all sorts of compartments, zippered pockets, sliding handle with wheels and a smaller bag with compartments and zippered pockets that we haven't used as yet. We usually bring 4 pistols, ammo, shooting glasses, hearing protection, binoculars, tools, tape etc. Harbor Freight had it in their flyer for $29.95. I couldn't pass it up. The wheels make it easy on the old back. :D

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

From stage-to-stage I carry eyes, ears, 6 mags, UpLula speed-loader, 200 rounds, hat-camera bullcrap, timer... and that's about it. In the summer, a water bottle and small tube of sunscreen.

A much larger bag gets left at the car. Stapler, enough spare parts to build 3.7 glocks, batteries, 300 more rounds, pasters, lunch, and a cooler with more water. Basically, everything else.

New shooters use a random bag of some sort. Then buy a *GUN* bag, complete with high-dollar I-shot or Dillon or CED logo. Then go bigger. Then say 'screw it' and drop back down to a smaller bag, with everything they can ditch left at the car. IMO.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I use a 7 Gallon (not the usual 5 gal) bucket with the plastic construction workers tray system inside and all my small stuff separated into ziplox. A ziplok with a small clean/lube kit, ziplok with loose rounds, ziplok with loaded mags, and all gear is layered as to importance on top on down. The bucket has the waterproof seat/lid and then I have a mesh skeet hull bag hanging off the side for brass, water bottle or whatever. Its fully waterproof and b/c its the 7 gal and not the 5 gal it makes a very comfortable seat and it is great urban camouflage because all my neighbors think I'm going fishing and people that look into my truck think its a sewer snake since that is what I put on the side ;-) Then I have all my other gear that stays in the truck compartmentalized into separate military mechanic bags. I do have the uber cleaning kit in one of those big folding plastic shooters boxes which keeps chemicals contained. Would I like a fancy range bag? Yes, would I rather spend the money on bullets? Yes, so I'll stick with "Da' Bucket" until someone gives me one;-)

• 3 weeks later...